Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade from the new 4.0.4 upgrade

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Downgrade from the new 4.0.4 upgrade

I absolutely HAVE TO downgrade this horrible new upograde to 4.0.4 android.  It not only has a totally horrid interface in so many areas, but it all but killed my phone.  Please send me instructions on how to downgrade to the vastly superior older version.

64 REPLIES 64
Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm enjoying Ice Cream Sandwich on my phone but i also have to say that a person should have the option to keep gingerbread on their phone if they like it. I wouldn't want someone to force me to do something either if i didn't ask for it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Spinaway,  You seem to be very knowlegable and Im loving that.  I was just getting used to my phone and then whooshh i hit that button and upgraded.  Ok I will learn all over again, that's ok.  However, Sprint could not answer me why I lost my 3G I don't get 4G where i live,  It know says on top 1x (what is that), my phone is working fine, but what happened to my 3 G.  This disappeard right after the new upgrade...

Highlighted
Journeyman

That means you have poor signal where you're at and/or could or be the crappy radio we have in our Nexus S 4g.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went through the poor service about 4 months ago for over 17 days.  Like no service.  Very disappointing.  I guess I subject to going to a Sprint store since CS over the phone can't even help me with this upgrade.  Thanks for the response.

Highlighted
Wizard

Mariocheesypizza wrote:

I'm enjoying Ice Cream Sandwich on my phone but i also have to say that a person should have the option to keep gingerbread on their phone if they like it. I wouldn't want someone to force me to do something either if i didn't ask for it.

Sprint does not push automatic installs, the software may download to the device but until the install is initiated by the end user it will not install.

Click here to see the latest news on our Network Vision updates!

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) The interface is horrid.

No, it isn't. It's better. But that's a matter of opinion.

YES IT IS.  For all of the reasons stated below.

2) I cant figure out how to get rid of the google serach on every screen

You can't. It's a permanent fixture on ICS. On the other hand, it does not take up any space otherwise allocated for icons, so having it or not having it makes no difference as to how many other shortcuts you can put on your home screens.

I have no idea what ICS is but whatever it is I didn't ask for that either.  It does make a difference.  I did not ask for the google search to be cluttering up my screens.  By your logic they coudl put streaming ads or pron links theer since "I cant use it". 

3) My incoming text from people in my contacts only show the phone numerb and not the name of who is texting me.

4) Incoming calls from people in my contacts only show the phone numerb and not the name of who is texting me.

This is probably because you had your contact saved locally on your phone rather than synced with your Google account. I was not aware that ICS would wipe the local address book clean.

Well eher the heck am I SUPPOSED to have my contacts but on my phone?  DUH!  I changed nothing on my phone other than this FORCED new android.  It has to do with the softwrae that I was FORECD to upgrade.  BTW I didnt say that it wiped my address book.  My contacts are still intact, just incoming text and calls from people in my contact list are no longer identified by their name.  BIG bug.

5) The new layout for mail is ****.  I want the main screeen for mail to give me a list of my mailboxes (addresses) like the prior version.

It does. Tap on the top of the currently opened account and it should open up a drop down list of all your mailboxes.

No it DOES NOT.  It opens up with whatever mail account I last used and I have to tap several tiems to get a list of my email accounts.  Even then they are all pushed over to the right hand sode o the screen and not a clean simple list of mail accounts.  I want the list to be the initial deafult view liek it was in the old version.  This new method is very cumbersome and awkward.

6) I want to revert to the prior way apps are shown when I tao the app icon at the bottom of the screen.  The new layout is VERY confusing.

Is this because you have to scroll side to side rather than up and down? I am not even sure why this is a big deal.

No it has to do with the bizarre way it list the apps then some screens of god j=knows what at the end.  All kinds of lins to bizarre stuff that are nto my apps.

7) Phone calls disconnect frequently.

This has nothing to do with ICS. Most people with the upgrade actually report BETTER signal strength and LESS dropped calls. Certainly my experience. It may just be that Sprint's service is crapping out in your area right now.

It does indeed.  I have NEVER in over 10 years had ANY issue with call drops.  Now since the restart of this FORCED upgarde I cannot hold a call.

😎 Many of my apps, wallpapers, etc have been deleted.

Such as? Some apps may not yet be compatible with ICS, and that may be the problem.

Again I have no idead what ICS is but i didnt ask for it.

By the way, Sprint didn't force the upgrade on you. It asked you with a notification if you wanted it. You tapped on it and you got it.

Spriont forced it on me.  i was not asked anything.  I went to pick up my phone and hit the button to pull it out of sleep.  I got a weird icon that said the phone needed to restart and it only had one option.  When it restarted it had this nes terrible android on it and it WAS FORCED on me.

If you really want to return to 2.3.7, you are going to need to root your phone (thereby voiding warranty). Search some Android forums and you should be able to do it.

I have no idea what you mena by root my phone.  I just want sprint to fix what they screwed up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am STILL waiting for the Sprint contact to reply to my question.  While I appreciate the responses everyone is giving, none of you can answer anythign officially and what you are saying is nothing more than opinions.  Please if you are not a Sprint representative do not reply any more.  Your comments will be ignored.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ShameM:  I was not given any choice.  Sprint DID FORCE this upgrade on me and it is horrible.  My phone is all but unusable now.  I am waiting for you ro someoen from Sprint to address this with me.  I have three options that are acceptable to me.

1) Return my phone to the older version of android (dont tell me it cannot be done, I have seen link to places to shwo how to do it).

2) Replace my phone with one that has the older version on it.

3) Close my accoutn for all three phones and charge me no penalty.

PICK ONE!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint doesnt have anything to do with the update. Samsung pushed it out and its software created by Google. Sprint supplys your voice, data and texting services. People seem to forget  or not realize that there are many different companies involved in the dcell phone they hold in their hands.  Its the same as a computer, you may buy the compuer from dell and have quest service and use windows for an os. But you would not blame dell for a windows problem or call quest because your dell laptop got fried would you?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just one question, why did you buy a Nexus Phone??? The Phone is listed as 'GOOGLE SUPPORTED' not Sprint, Not Samsung. It is billed as no bloatware, pure google. So if you are have a problem with the feature set being offered the look and feel of the operating system, direct your displeasure to google. Sprint can help you if you can't connect to their network that is it.

Some people who don't like change should not get a product that is supported directly by the software developer, things are subject to change without notice. It sounds like a phone from a different support structure like HTC's, LG one of those who take the raw operating system and customize if for their own needs and wants would have been better for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still waiting for an answer to my questions from someone at Sprint.  The rest of you are still making (very uninformed) opinions and are of no help wjat-so-ever.  But thanks fpr trying although yoru combined ignorance and assumptions are getting a tad annoying.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are waiting for something you will not get. Sprint did not send you this update and Sprint cannot downgrade your phone. You are not educated in the subject you want answers in and now you are becoming insulting. Educate yourself in a subject before you attepmt to discuss it or ask for answers pertaining to it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat