Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade from the new 4.0.4 upgrade

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Downgrade from the new 4.0.4 upgrade

PCZero wrote:

@lilgeekygirl - So now my sons phone 'upgraded' to this horrible new version as well.  He also thinks it sucks.  Neither of us asked to be upgraded it was FORCED on us without our approval.  Please tell me how to get these phones replaced with the older version which we want.  In the mean time please tell me how to od the following so I can at least use my phone.

1) Make the contact list have only one line per concta like the old version.  Now it has multuiple lines, one for every numebr a concat has.  I don't want that it is cluttered.

2) Make my email app (NOT GMAIL, GMAIL SUCKS) open up with a list of email accounts rather than opening to the inbox of the first email account.

3) When I get new mail I DO NOT want the new mail to open automatically.  That is VERY dangerous.  If someone sends me a virus embedded in an email, merely opening it can infect me.  I prefer the old way where (as asked for above) the list of accounst opens and then when I tap the accoun with new mail, a list of emails is presented.  Ic an then elect to read or delete without even opening the mail.

4) How do I delete the google search form teh top of all screens.  I NEVER use that and even if I did I dont need it on EVERY screen.  It is redundant and clutter.

5) How do I make an icon to direct dial a numerb in my contcat list WITHOUT it listing HOME/MOBILE/ETC?  I knwo what numebr it is I have set a shortcut for.  It also does not display the full thumbnail any more for the contact liek the old version did.

6) How do I get incoming calls form my contact list to display the name of the caller like teh old version did.  Now all it does is display the number calling me with on ID.

7) How do I get incoming texts form my contact list to display the name of who is texting me like the old version did?  Now it only displauys the numer of the person texting me so I have no idea who it is unless I memorize all 100 numbers in my contcat list?

😎 Better yet give me back the FAR superior older version and STOP forcing software on me that does nto work at all and I did not ask for!

As far as the contacts ae concerned select a contact and select edit then press menu and select join to combine the numbers with the contacts.

This is not what I am talking about.  In the old version my address book simpluy listed all of my contacts one per line no matter how many numbers each contact had.  It was very easy to red the list. tap the contact I wanted, and go from there.  Now, any contact that has multiple phone numebrs has multiple lines in the contact list, one for each numebr for the contact.  This makes my contact list much longer and more awkward to use.  I prefer a CLEAN and SIMPLE list of contacts like the old version.  Pleae tell me how to go back to that.

I looked in to the "GOOGLE: search option that is at the top of the screen that option is not able to be removed.

Again this is totally unacceptable.  I dod nto sk for google sprint or anyone else to add a search box to every screen of my phone.  Please provide a work around for removing this.

As far as getting the phone replaced is concerned Im sorry to say that is not an option as each phone will eventually be prompted for the upgrade and if not downloaded can start causing issues with applications and other features on your device becuase the developers of those applications will upgrade the apps to be compatible with ICS.

I am OK with apps not wprking.  I will just not use apps.  I prefer my phone top be functional and usable over having games and other stuff on my phone.  So I can live with that and yoru point is 100% irrelevant.  Everyone here has been telling me all along that this upgrade is optional.  As such please make arrangements for me to get a phone with the old version. 

For setting a direct dial go to the applications and then widgets and select direct dial at that point you can select the person and the number.

I have done that BUT the short cut is unusable.  It cuts the picture assigned to the contact in half and then adds an extra line of text that the old version didnt have.  I think it is the description of the phone number (home, mobile, etc) then the contact name.  The od version just had the contact name and displayed the entire picture.

As far as the email is concerned I am still researching that as I do not have multiple emails on the test phone I am using.

You did not address a couple of other issues.

1)  Why is it that incoming calls and texts are only identified by phone number and not contact name?

2) Additionally the listing of messages in a text discussion has changed to an unreadable format.  In the past the messages were simply in a straight list of texts.  Now all the exts to me are crammed to the left and all the text from me are crammed to the right.  It is VERY hard to follow a conversation this way.

3) In sending a text, the suggested words list is now a VERY VERY faint blue on a black background and there are only three, and the primary suggestion is centered wuth teh other two totally unreadable,  In the prior version teh suggested words were a much higher contrast green, ther list was longer and the primary was very logically on the left.  I need my word list to be first reaable and second usable.

Again I want a new/replacement phone with the old version on it.  This new version is 100% unusable for me.  As you said, the only reason I woudl nto wnat that is for apps being out of date and I am OK with not using apps that get upgarded past use with the otehr version.  Please advise what I need to do to get my phone replaced.

Thank you/

PCZero, Did you do the join option as I described to combine the numbers with the contacts? There is no "work around" for the Google search bar. Have you tried to remove the direct dial you previously set up and add it again with the steps I provided above? As far as the incoming calls and text displaying the name not the number this should be resolved once you have joined all the numbers to the contact. The messaging has has changed to a "chat" style. I looked in to the settings and there is no way of change as well as the suggested word list. If you are completely unsatisfied with the way the messages look you might want to look into a 3rd party text messaging application. Some things I wish to advise you if you chose to use a 3rd party application is we can not guarantee   it will work at all times any issues you have with that application will have to be directed to the manufacture and you chose to use the application at your own rise. As I stated previously we are not able to replace the phone. The only way the phone would be replaced is if the phone was completely inoperable( ie not able to send/receive text, unable to make/receive calls, access internet, phone power cycles or will not turn on etc).

Journeyman

PCZero -

People try to offer insight, and you just tell them to go away.  A Sprint Rep answers you, and you tell them their points are irrelevant.  At this point, it appears that you do not want assistance - rather you just want to continue to make it seem like you are somewhat more special than the rest of us.  You don't like ICS - then buy a new phone.  Don't care of Sprint - go to another carrier.  You have choices here, but you are somehow you think you deserve special treatment. 

Beg to differ? Than why are you posting on the message boards setup for customer to customer and Sprint to Customer assistance rather than calling Sprint directly to voice your discontent?

I find it hard to believe that you are having all these issues, and it seems more like you are just trying to argue your way out of a contract.

Journeyman

I think you can download "launchers" from the Play Store to replace the one on your phone. I think those are more customizable then the one that comes with the updates.

Wizard

I am OK with apps not wprking.  I will just not use apps.  I prefer my phone top be functional and usable over having games and other stuff on my phone.  So I can live with that and yoru point is 100% irrelevant.  Everyone here has been telling me all along that this upgrade is optional.  As such please make arrangements for me to get a phone with the old version.

This is patently absurd. Every one of your complaints have been about apps. Apps that come pre-installed as part of the operating system, but apps nonetheless. Mail is an app. Messaging is an app. Contacts is an app. Even Dialer is an app. Your home screen is an app. EVERYTHING on an Android phone is an app. People have been trying to explain the basics, and you won't listen; you would much rather throw temper tantrums. And because everything is an app, all the default apps can be replaced by another app that does the same thing from the Play Store.

Journeyman

PCZero, Did you do the join option as I described to combine the numbers with the contacts?

As I described in my last reply, this is not the issue.  When I do the 'join' It ask me what OTHER CONTACT I want to join to the current one.  I d not want to add two contacts togetehr.  I merely want to eliminate the multiline list for each contact in my contact list.

There is no "work around" for the Google search bar.

Then this new OS is overly intrusve and I want it removed.  If I can be forced to have  that on my screen whats next, streaming ads?

Have you tried to remove the direct dial you previously set up and add it again with the steps I provided above?

There was nothing to remove.  ALL of my settings that I had on my phone prior to the forved install were wiped ouyt by the install.  I HAD TO rebuild the direct dials.  I did as you suggested and the result was as I listed.

As far as the incoming calls and text displaying the name not the number this should be resolved once you have joined all the numbers to the contact.

Again there is nothing to join.  For example I have a contact that has three numbers (home, work, mobiler).  In my contact list, that contact is listed with his pictire and a total of three line in my contact list, one for each number.  When I go to edit that contac and do a join it only asks me what OTHER contact I want to join to the current one.  I do not want ANY OTHER contact combined.  I simply want one line displayed in my contact list for that contact no matter how many phone numebs I have stored for that contact.

The messaging has has changed to a "chat" style.

Exactluy and I want it chnged back as this is terribly hard to read and follow a converation.

I looked in to the settings and there is no way of change as well as the suggested word list.  If you are completely unsatisfied with the way the messages look you might want to look into a 3rd party text messaging application. Some things I wish to advise you if you chose to use a 3rd party application is we can not guarantee   it will work at all times any issues you have with that application will have to be directed to the manufacture and you chose to use the application at your own rise.

As I stated previously we are not able to replace the phone. The only way the phone would be replaced is if the phone was completely inoperable( ie not able to send/receive text, unable to make/receive calls, access internet, phone power cycles or will not turn on etc).

As I stated earlier, part of the problem is that my calls are getting dropped after about 2-3 minutes.  So the phone is not usable.

ALSO: you stated that I cannot go back becasue apps would not be usable.  if this is the case then why is EVERY android phone that you offer listing android 2.x as the verison that is on it?  This whole thing makes no sense anyway based on the fact that many people have told me (even though I was givren no option) that the upgrae was not mandatory.  How can an upgrade be optional yet it be mandatory at the same time?  makes no sense.

So if you cannot revert my phone (even though I have been told it was an optional upgrade) and you refuse to repplace my phone with one that still has the older version, I must ask that you terminate my service and charge me no fee as rthe phone as it is now is not what I purchased and is not usable by me.

Thanks...

PCZero, Since the steps I have provided do not seem to remedy the issues you are having I suggest taking the device to a local store so they can look at your device. I apologize for the fustration this is causing you. If you wish to discuss a cancelation please call sprint through I can not guarantee any ETF will be waived.

~christina~

Master

JJC-FL

I've recently reject a post that borderlined on trolling. Please keep your comments in the spirit of this community and the Community Guidelines. If the trolling continues, I will be force to ban the user. I have subscribed to ensure the guidelines are followined.

mapesy

Journeyman

i dont understand though...if you want the newest version available why do you not want to learn the newest version available? Obviously it will be different but it's really not that much different from 2.3.7? The ''notifications" are in the same place as before, at the top of the screen. people are not being snotty and are, in fact, being polite and helpful. if that comes off as being a 'know it all' i think that's just a misinterpretation on your part.

the new version of android is very similar to gingerbread, to get to the call history screen you need to do exactly the same thign as before: click dialer, and then click call history', it really doesn't get much more complicated than that.

if you dont want to swipe to turn the phone on, go to menu>security>and instead of 'swipe to unclock' select 'no lock'. absolutely zero difference between 2.3.7 and 4.0 there...sending text messages is exactly the same, dialing a number is exactly the same. the reason PCZEro is having these issues is because he did not sync his contacts with google, that is not a shortcoming of ICS. you have to reset your alarms and ringtones ONCE and ONLY ONCE after such a major upgrade. i do not consider this worthy of complaint.

lastly, this upgrade was not forced down anyone's throat. the notification indicated an update was available you HAD to press a button in order to download it.

Journeyman

@WSU...   Normally I like to have the latest and greatest software.  However there are numerous changes in 4.x that make my phone all but unusable.  I have limited vision and moderate to severe dyslexia. The changes to texting make that whole area of my phone 100% unusable. 

Texting is one case in point.  The suggested word list is now a pale dark blue on a black background.  It used to be a high contrast green on black background.  Most of the time I cannot even see the suggested words and with my poor visions, I counted on that when texting.  Also they changed the order of the suggested words.  It used to have the primary suggestion to the left and then the remaining suggestions left to right. Now the primary suggestion is centered and others (only two now as oposed to four or more previously) are on both sides.  This is not only horrible but 100% non-logical and stupid.  Finally, the list of messages in a text conversation are all jumbled.  It use to have each text left justified so I can simply go down the list and read a text conversation. Now the texts form the other person has their image and the text is left justified, mine have my icon and they are right justifies.  This may seem to be a simple thing but it makes reading a conversation 100% impossible for me.  You have to jump back and forth, left to right and back) to read a conversation.

The email has changed as well.  It used to be that the default screen you got when you tapped the email icon was a list of your email account. Now the default screen is the in box for a random account.  Then when you tap the area to see your list of accounts, it is the small drop down box that is crammed all the way to the right AND it is pale gray in white.  Again very difficult to read.  Even more of an issue is that when I tap on the incoming mail icon when I am notified of new mail, instead of going to the old default list of account, or even just going to the in box for the account in question, it opens the first incoming mail.  This is a horrible thing.  I don’t want to be forced to open ANY email.  Email can and does at times contain virus attachments that CAN automatically infect by simply opening the mail.  It CAN 'phone home' automatically on mail open as well.  I do not EVER open mail that is obviously spam and I do not want to have it FORCE opened on me.

One other thing that changed that make my phone unusable is the contact list.  In the old version, I simply had one line in my contact list no matter how many phone number I had in a given contact.  Clean simple list of contacts.  Now the contact list has a line for every number for each contact. This alone makes my contact list jumbled but even if it were acceptable to have this, the detail of each number is such a faint gray on black that it is 100% unreadable and defeats the purpose.  The contact list is called that for a reason, it is a list of CONTACTS.  It is not called a phone number list...  Having the extra lines makes my contact list VERY hard to read and use at all.

Another change they made was the direct dial widget.  It used to be that a direct dial icon had two things, the picture of the contact and the contacts name.  Now they crop the picture in half and added the phone number title (home, mobile, work, etc).  I rely on the picture more than anything else to pick who I want to call.  I KNOW which number I set a shortcut for.  I do not need to have that tiny text there saying home, mobile, work, etc.  The fact that they cut the icon in half makes that useless and Now I can't have direct dial icons at all.  They are useless.

I am also dropping calls almost all the time now.  I have done several hard resets to clear things up but I still drop about 80% of my calls. Combine all of that with the fact that they force that stupid Google search bar in EVERY screen and this Android 4.x is 100%   I know many have told me that 4.x was optional but that was not the case here.  I woke my phone up and had a single option.  It said something like 'reboot is required to continue' and had a single button that said 'reboot'.  There was no option to decline or ignore the process.  Also, I have been told by sprint staff that it is mandatory and that it would eventually be upgraded one way or the other.

I appreciate your feedback 100%.  The deal is though that 4.x is really a lot worse and has all but rendered my phone unusable.  I waited a long long time to upgrade from a calm shell phone to a smart phone.  I had to find one that had clean, simple, easy to read and use features.  The Nexus S 4G used to be just that.  This upgrade to 4.x changes the phone so dramatically that it is not even the same phone that I bought just a few months ago.  I would have NEVER picked this phone with the 4.x on it.  I would have opted for one of the other smart phones that still has an older version.

Lasty let me apologize for my poor typing.  As I stated above I have limited vision and dyslexia.  I do my best to type well and get things right, but it is difficult at times.

Highlighted
Journeyman

a lot of these concerns can be addressed by going to main menu>accessibility> and clicking 'large text' if i remember correctly, gingerbread did not have this feature. you will be able to read the text messages much better with the super large text. the fact that the text messaging app alternates between left and right justified is following the natural progression of things, that is how messaging apps are (download a different text messaging app if it is too much of a hassle) although I don't think i usually sit and read through conversations of text messages, i just read the last message and respond...so there really isn't a lot of reading through lists of texts and i certainly don't think it renders 4.x unusable to you by any means.

most of your complaints on the email are subjective. the yellow on black contrast is as easy to read as blue on black, the blue is not dark blue but a very light blue. secondly what does it matter where the primary word is placed? all you need to do is press space and it will be selected, you don't need to click on the word to pick it. viruses cannot infect your phone just by opening an email containing spam, you would HAVE to download something and install it and run it, it does not just add viruses to your phone; that is a complete misunderstanding on your part. secondly, gingerbread did not give you a preview of what the email is, it only gave you a notification, now you have a preview of what the email will be, if it looks like its spam just swipe it away and deal with it later or go to your email client and report it as spam after you have opened it and are looking at it. it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to get a virus from opening a spam email unless you install a program or click on a link in the spam email. you can report an email as spam directly from the email message.

no one is supposed to use the contact list in that manner,  if its that difficult for you to go throug the contact list given your vision problems and dyslexia, then start forming the habit of typing the person's name who you are looking for in the search bars on home screen or by clicking the search button, that way you don't have to go through any list. secondly, the larger text option will address almost every single problem i have talked about thus far. secondly i dont see what you mean, in my contact list, everyone listed just has one line, if you then click the contact lsit you can choose which phone number to text or call them with (home,mobile,etc) this is not confusing at all and even with your dyslexia you should be able to click the right option. if i remember correctly this was the same layout as gingerbread, if a contact had multiple phone numbers it was also all written out (albeint on a BLACK background with white text, whereas on ICS its black text on a white background). i have 1200 contacts on my phone and have never once opened the contact list because it's pointless and time consuming to scroll through that many contacts, it's much easier to just open a new text message and start typing a contact's name in, or go to the dialer and beging typing the person's name that you want to call, or having a list of favorites on the far right screen of dialer app...

the signal issue you bring up is 100% due to your location and not the ICS. everyone on sprint forums as well as xda forums have seen much better signal reception, myself included. the sprint staff lied to you because no one is forced to update, if you wanted to you could be at 2.3.1 right now instead of 4.x. you must have inadvertendtly clicked accept without realizing what you were doing but that is not the fault of sprint. hopefully you can understand that your demands of ETF waiver or a brand new phone are impossible to fulfill as anyone could walk in with a nexus s 4g phone and say that they too have difficulty reading the text etc and that they should be given a brand new phone. that is just not how things work. try to make the best of it and afterall, this is the newest version of android and has more features than gingerbread, explore the phone and see options and try to adapt to new technology.

Journeyman

a lot of these concerns can be addressed by going to main menu>accessibility> and clicking 'large text' if i remember correctly, gingerbread did not have this feature. you will be able to read the text messages much better with the super large text. the fact that the text messaging app alternates between left and right justified is following the natural progression of things, that is how messaging apps are (download a different text messaging app if it is too much of a hassle) although I don't think i usually sit and read through conversations of text messages, i just read the last message and respond...so there really isn't a lot of reading through lists of texts and i certainly don't think it renders 4.x unusable to you by any means.

Maybe SOME can slightly be made somewhat better by doing that, but the fact remains that texting is all but unusable to me on 4.x.  Sayng that the absurd text 'is just the way it is' does not help at all.  It was not this way in any previous version.  It was not broken, It workd perfectly.  WHY CHANGE?  The fact that you don't read yoru messages is not relevaant to the fact that I do.  If people didn't read the conversation then why even maintain any historic sent or received texts at all?  It is prima facia that people read the old texts at least to some point.

most of your complaints on the email are subjective. the yellow on black contrast is as easy to read as blue on black, the blue is not dark blue but a very light blue. secondly what does it matter where the primary word is placed? all you need to do is press space and it will be selected, you don't need to click on the word to pick it. viruses cannot infect your phone just by opening an email containing spam, you would HAVE to download something and install it and run it, it does not just add viruses to your phone; that is a complete misunderstanding on your part. secondly, gingerbread did not give you a preview of what the email is, it only gave you a notification, now you have a preview of what the email will be, if it looks like its spam just swipe it away and deal with it later or go to your email client and report it as spam after you have opened it and are looking at it. it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to get a virus from opening a spam email unless you install a program or click on a link in the spam email. you can report an email as spam directly from the email message.

1) As far as the color issues goes, that was a text thing not email.  The blue on black is all but impossible to read.  There is zero contrast at all.  That was the point I was attempting to make.

2) The position matters becasue I don't always want the primary word.  I may want a secondary word or later.  As difficult as it is to read the primary word, the others are so faint that you absolutely cannot read them at all.  It is 100% impossibel to see anything otehr tna the primary word.

3) I WANT the notifcation only.  I want it like the older version where it notified me of email, then when I tapped the notification I got my default view (list of email accounts) and I could choose which one to open.  At that point it lists the contents of the mail box and I can delete spam without opening it.  Now it does NOT just give me a preview.  It opens the actual mail.  I do NOT have a preview where I can 'simply swipe it away'.  We all know the absolute best thing to do with spam is to delete it without opening it.  reportign it is useless.  Opening it at best sends notice to the spammer tha they got a live address and leads to even more spam.  The whole virus issue aside, I dont want to be forced to open spam.  4.x makes me open incoming mail eve if i dont wnat to open and read it.

4) Nothing in yoru reply address the fact that they turned the whole default screen for email to garbage.  The preferred thing is to open the email app and see a list of my accounts like the old version did.  A list with decent contract of white on black.  Now it opens to a random in box and I have to click to get the pull down that is faint gray on white all smashed to the right side of the screen and unreadable.

Bottom line is that for me email is almost useless now.

no one is supposed to use the contact list in that manner,  if its that difficult for you to go throug the contact list given your vision problems and dyslexia, then start forming the habit of typing the person's name who you are looking for in the search bars on home screen or by clicking the search button, that way you don't have to go through any list. secondly, the larger text option will address almost every single problem i have talked about thus far. secondly i dont see what you mean, in my contact list, everyone listed just has one line, if you then click the contact lsit you can choose which phone number to text or call them with (home,mobile,etc) this is not confusing at all and even with your dyslexia you should be able to click the right option. if i remember correctly this was the same layout as gingerbread, if a contact had multiple phone numbers it was also all written out (albeint on a BLACK background with white text, whereas on ICS its black text on a white background). i have 1200 contacts on my phone and have never once opened the contact list because it's pointless and time consuming to scroll through that many contacts, it's much easier to just open a new text message and start typing a contact's name in, or go to the dialer and beging typing the person's name that you want to call, or having a list of favorites on the far right screen of dialer app...

No matter how I go throuh a contac list, if it cannot be read its pointless.   I have no idea how you got yoru contact list to show every contact with just line.  Mine is not that way and I see no way to revert to that way.  I want it to be the way (it looks like) you are describing.  Now I must point out it loks like there are TWO different contac lists.  One (the one I am talking about) is when you click the phone icon (far left at the bottom of the default screen in 4.x) then click the contact icon (top right).  In there you see a long list of contacts.  For each one you see the icon and the contac name is bright white on black.  Below that you see an EXTREMELY faint phone number and home, mobile, tste.  THEN if that contac has more numbers, each number is listed on a different line.  I want that to go away and list only a single line for each contact like it was in the old version.  There is also a contact list on the main screen that is as you decibe (black on white and only one line per contact).  I want the other list the same way.   It is OK for it to be the high contrast white ion black but I want it back to single line per contact like the old version.

the signal issue you bring up is 100% due to your location and not the ICS. everyone on sprint forums as well as xda forums have seen much better signal reception, myself included. the sprint staff lied to you because no one is forced to update, if you wanted to you could be at 2.3.1 right now instead of 4.x. you must have inadvertendtly clicked accept without realizing what you were doing but that is not the fault of sprint. hopefully you can understand that your demands of ETF waiver or a brand new phone are impossible to fulfill as anyone could walk in with a nexus s 4g phone and say that they too have difficulty reading the text etc and that they should be given a brand new phone. that is just not how things work. try to make the best of it and afterall, this is the newest version of android and has more features than gingerbread, explore the phone and see options and try to adapt to new technology.

1)  No it isn't a location issue.  I NEVER in the entire 10+ years of using sprint EVER had dropped calls.  The second this junk installed I started droppin 80% or more of my calls. 

2) I have no idea how much clearer to tell you but I had NO option at all.  When I woke up my phone there was only ONE button.  It had text that said a reboot was required.  There was no option to cancel, ignore, decline, or anythign else.  ONLY a button to reboot.  When I rebooted, 4.x was installed.  It is just the way it is.  Nohting you say will change that at all.

3) NOTHING is impossible.  The bottom line is that this phone is no longer functionally the same phone I bought.  It is all but unusable to me.  Sprint is required by law to adhere to the ADA and the fact that it is not usable by me requires them to make accommodations.  I do not want it to come to that, but if I have no other choice I will have to.

Again thank you for your feedback.  I really do appreciate what you are saying.  I hope that Sprint (or whoever it is that does it) FIXES this 4.x android so that it is no longer as horrid as it is.  I tried to contact Google about it but they are getting as bad as facebook about contac details.  I have no idea in hell how to send an email to whatever point iof contact at google is appropriate.  Sorry again if my typing is bad.  As the day progresses my vision weakens and It is harder for me to type well.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat