Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

GPS issues

Hi -

I am wondering if there ar any known issues with the GPS on this phone?

The GPS has never worked with Google Maps and both Facebook Checkk in and Foursquare do not list nearby places. Google Maps places me about 1/2-1 mile away from my current location. The only time Google Maps states my current location is when I clear the cache. However, as soon as I go somewhere lse, it does not follow me.

I have downloaded GPS Test from the Android Market and it NEVER can find me. About 1 out of 5 times it can find a satilite, but says it is not in use.

My friend has the same exact issue with her phone, same model. She got her phone replaced recently, for another issue and has the same problem.

Any ideas?

Jake

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

GPS issues

You have done your part in trying to determine what is occurring and why - now take it to an authorized Sprint store and let them test it and fix it or replace it.Sprint includes GPS programs but just imagine if you were paying for something that is useless. Get it fixed.

Journeyman

Re: GPS issues

As an FYI, GPS does not = satellite. It simply means Global Positioning System. In the case of cell phones, and our Nexus S, it triangulates between the three closest tower signals it can find. I had this issue as well and resolved it by ensuring I had the latest PRL (Preferred Roaming List). Updating the PRL on the Nexus is a bit of a crap-shoot so you may have to try multiple times. The current PRL on my phone is P:60683. It can be found under Settings -> About phone -> Status.

I do use Google Maps and Facebook for checking into specific locations and use the Google Maps when traveling. For the most part it's spot on. Hope you are able to get it worked out.

Journeyman

GPS issues

Thank you for your reply. I did update the PRL and  confirmed that it is the current version you mentioned. However, it still does not seem to be working correctly. One of the things I forgot to mention in my origional post was that I installed GPSTest. It does not find any satelites outdoors or indoors. After updating the PRL, it was able to see one satelite indoors with none in use and when I was outside, it saw 9 with 0 in use. I have not updated my friends phone as of yet.

I'll try to make it to the Sprint store on Monday.

Jake

Journeyman

GPS issues

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. As I noted mine works

as it should. Make sure you have the latest OS version.

I suspect you do. It's version 2.3.7.

Good luck

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat