cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRJ90 Update Poll, OTA vs. Manual Update. Which one did you do and how is it working?

Journeyman

GRJ90 Update Poll, OTA vs. Manual Update. Which one did you do and how is it working?

State which update you did and your results.  Just curious if the ota is better than the manual or if they results are about the same.  Hit or miss for one or the other or both?

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

The "manual" update IS the OTA update. Its the exact same upgrade file and process, only delivered to the phone differently. There should be NO difference between the two unless you manage to massively screw up the manual process, which would be hard to do.

Journeyman

Rather than waiting, I opted to do the manual update. Installed without any problems. As I've noted elsewhere, for me it's a huge improvement. I'm now getting 4g where I didn't before and places where 3g was weak based on performance, is much better. Example is using Facebook Places. The majority of the time it would not load and show me what's in the area. Now it does flawlessly. I've never had any issues with dropped calls or weak WIFI. So my experience overall with this phone has been great, especially when compared to all the reported issues with the EVO 3D and Photon over on sprintusers.com.

Cheers,

Journeyman

@ chrismcstl.....That is correct.  There is not supposed to be any difference, but if you don't understand the questions, don't feel obligated to participate.  Just looking for the answers to the questions listed above, but thanks for you comments anyway.

Journeyman

Everything seems to be working great. No real noticable differance though, except no more echo on speaker phone now!!! I never experienced speed issues - with 4G or 3G.

Oh - and I waited for the update OTA.

Jake

Highlighted
Journeyman

Forgot to mention that my battery life seems to have improve. Gone from about 13 hours to 18 with the same moderate usage.

Journeyman

STMIRANDA1: I've also noticed what I think seems to be an improvement in battery life, as well.  I thought that it was just me, but when I saw your post, it made sense.  I have also noticed better reception in my home and in some buildings (where my signal usually shows one or no bars.)  Other than that, things seem to be running fairly well so far.

Journeyman

My battery life stays around 14 hours a day with moderate usage.  Some auto updates on some apps.  If you are getting better signal, that will help the phone not search so much for a signal, so the battery life should improve a little.  My 3G and 4G signal and coverage is better now.  I have not tried the speaker phone while talking to someone, so I don't know if it is still echoing or not.  I am very happy with this phone and with the update so far.  I am ready for Google Wallet.

Master

Auto update.  Waited to install it for a day or two.  Only had a problem with a flashlight app that was freezing my phone, but uninstalled that and got a different app that's working even better.  Haven't noticed a huge difference in performance for signal or battery or response.  I loved the phone before the update and still do.  The 4G maybe 10-15% better when I can get it.  

Journeyman

Re: GRJ90 Update Poll, OTA vs. Manual Update. Which one did you do and how is it working?

My ota udate was quite good.  My speaker is louder, my signal is better, my data signal is stronger on 3g and 4g, my speeds were always good.  I don't care about the tethering or hotspot as some people do, because it says in the Sprint contract that it is extra on any device.  My only app that I lost and can not get back is the HBO GO.  That bummed me out.  It says that it is not compatible with my device now.  We are too upgraded I guess. LOL!!  Hope to get it back soon.  I do love the new look and feel of the Android Market on the phone.  This is a great device with many great features if you really like the true Google Experience.  Can't wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. 

Can't believe they were giving them away at Best Buy today.  A great idea to get more in the hands of the public just before the launch of Google Wallet.  Marketing, marketing, marketing......I do wish my price would of been that good.

Journeyman

Re: GRJ90 Update Poll, OTA vs. Manual Update. Which one did you do and how is it working?

My phone has been phenomonal since the update. Fixed the gps issue and the phone is really fast now. So overall I couldn't be happier and now i don't regret my purchase.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat