cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Nexus One in the near future? (update... another phone for Verizion)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Nexus One in the near future? (update... another phone for Verizion)

The new Google phone (Nexus One) will be GSM but a CDMA version will follow soon after and if that is true that means the likes of Sprint and Verizon could get it, who knows.

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2009/12/15/google-nexus-one-phone-price-details-cdma-version-may-follo...http://media.boygeniusreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/GN-2.jpg

Message was edited by: Cire

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Journeyman

I really wish Sprint would get in on this Nexus One movement and show their customers they want them to have the best phones as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i just dont understand how the top phone companys let tmobile get the nexus one and the htc hd2 ,is this just a way to cover up something good coming our way. to us loyal sprint customers,i cant hang on to much longer with sprint i cant see real well so if they dont get something bigger soon im gone. htc hd2 4.3

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've waited as other carriers have had the iphone, the droid and now the nexus.  And there are plans for Verizon to get the nexus this spring.  I've waited and waited, hoping sprint would see the writing on the wall and get a phone that they're customers really want.  I really hope it happens and soon, but I don't think it's going to happen.  Sorry Sprint, after 12 years, yeah, that's right 12 YEARS with sprint I will be leaving in Feb unless they make some concrete announcement about getting a truly competitive phone (not a Blackberry, not a Pre, and not a Jr varsity HTC hero).

Highlighted
Master

Google's Nexus One: It's Unlocked But ...

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/26041?tstart=0

Highlighted
Journeyman

So google just designed this phone to work only on the t-mobile network with no input or agreement from t-mobile.  Google just decided they would build this phone and randomly chose the t-mobile as the technology it would choose to design the phone around. 

Or maybe, google shopped around with the idea of this iphone killer phone.  If they did, let's think did AT&T need or want an iphone killer?...I'm guessing no that might be bad for business.  What about Verizon?  They probably would've jumped at the idea before the release of the Droid, but I'm guessing they're feeling pretty good about their partnership with Motorola right now.  What about Sprint?  Heck no, Sprint has all the greatest phones, why would they need an iphone killer.  They've got the palm pre, the blackberry, the HTC Hero,...those are the hottest phones on the market, why would they need an iphone killer.  So who is left?  T-Molbie of course, might as well design the nexus to work of their network because no other network needs a phone to compete with the iphone (or the Droid for that matter).

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is an online petition requesting Nexus One on Sprint - Go sign in and get momentum going:

http://www.petitiononline.com/GN1oSPCS/petition.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

Obviously there will be a CDMA version out soon. Verizon will be getting the Nexus One. If Sprint doesn't have it by March I'm out. It’s embarrassing to be with Sprint right now. There have so few offerings and don't seem to be interested in competing for top end phones. I guess the most embarrassing thing is that even T Mobile has a killer phone. I don't understand why Sprint doesn't realize it’s good for business to have some hot phones...

Highlighted
Journeyman

roberts3000 wrote:

Well, it better be sooner than later for me. I am leaving sprint with in the next 30 days because of lack of high end phones. I had a Hero for 3 weeks and took it back the day after they announced that 2.0 update would be six months away.

Febuary the GSM hero gets its upgrade to 2.1.

Considering that Sprint is waiting on HTC to rework scense ui into the new version of android.

I would think late feb to mid march.

where are you going to go? Sprint has the cheapest plans and really good 3g coverage. I would just hang out to see what the supersonic is going to be. Snapdragon with wimax running android. The droid and nexus one can't compare to that!

Highlighted
Journeyman

afallingstone wrote:

roberts3000 wrote:

Well, it better be sooner than later for me. I am leaving sprint with in the next 30 days because of lack of high end phones. I had a Hero for 3 weeks and took it back the day after they announced that 2.0 update would be six months away.

Considering that Sprint is waiting on HTC to rework scense ui into the new version of android.

where are you going to go? Sprint has the cheapest plans and really good 3g coverage. I would just hang out to see what the supersonic is going to be. Snapdragon with wimax running android. The droid and nexus one can't compare to that!

Sprint or somebody still has to get their NFL, Nascar, and Sprint NAV apps working before the can release it. I know 2.1 has Google Nav in it but the someone will complain if it is removed. I also wonder if Sprint will hold the update until the samsung phone is ready.

The OS needs to be pushed by Google not the manufacturer and the store. This is like buying a HP laptop from wal-mart and having to wait on HP and Wal-mart to provide updates for MS Windows.

I under stand why to some degree, why it is not done this way with Android. Palm and Apple have the advantage of control of the hardware. WebOS and Iphone OS will be tested on your hardware. Android is a cross between a Desktop OS and a phone OS. Google tried to distribute it like a desktop OS. That works fine for the most part on a laptop. If Microsoft or say Ubuntu pushes an update that brakes my video card I can just go to the manufacture and get a fix. Not so easy on a phone. This is why the manufacture of the phone and the carrier has to be evolved.

Google was trying to use the same model for their phone OS that desktop Linux does. Just push it out, make it open, and some will make it work. This does not work for desktop Linux and it will not work for Android. If it did we would all be using Linux on the desktop now. It works for me, but I have 10 years+ experience in it. People just want it to work, being free is not good enough.

I think Google is learning this and and this is the reason for the Nexus one. All future Android phones will have to be distributed this way. Every one said Google was going to change the way phones were sold, but in fact they just went to the same model Palm and Apple use. Which is basically, Design a phone and OS, find someone to build it and then make deals with carriers. This eliminates fragmentation of Android. They just have to get the support thing worked out now. Which means they will have the employ people the do this just like Palm and Apple do.

As far as the Hero, the fact it had an outdated OS was just the last straw. I had 3 of them in that 3 weeks all had an issue with dust under the screen. I'm not impressed with HTC quality or lack of.

The supersonic does look good. I'm still don't have 3G in my area so I don't think sprint will be putting up a 4G tower around here anytime soon. I thought I read the supersonic would be late 2010? I could be very wrong about that.

As for leaving Sprint... Well, the wife went and got a Palm Pixi and she loves it. That kind of put a hole in my plans to leave Sprint. I would get me a Palm pre but the forums are filled with people complaining about hardware issues with it. Pixi's out for me because of no WIFI.

Basically I am wanting a quality built linux based smartphone with a current OS before I sign a two year contract. This does not seem to unreasonable to me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

roberts3000 wrote:

afallingstone wrote:

roberts3000 wrote:

Sprint or somebody still has to get their NFL, Nascar, and Sprint NAV apps working before the can release it. I know 2.1 has Google Nav in it but the someone will complain if it is removed. I also wonder if Sprint will hold the update until the samsung phone is ready.

The OS needs to be pushed by Google not the manufacturer and the store. This is like buying a HP laptop from wal-mart and having to wait on HP and Wal-mart to provide updates for MS Windows.

I under stand why to some degree, why it is not done this way with Android. Palm and Apple have the advantage of control of the hardware. WebOS and Iphone OS will be tested on your hardware. Android is a cross between a Desktop OS and a phone OS. Google tried to distribute it like a desktop OS. That works fine for the most part on a laptop. If Microsoft or say Ubuntu pushes an update that brakes my video card I can just go to the manufacture and get a fix. Not so easy on a phone. This is why the manufacture of the phone and the carrier has to be evolved.

Google was trying to use the same model for their phone OS that desktop Linux does. Just push it out, make it open, and some will make it work. This does not work for desktop Linux and it will not work for Android. If it did we would all be using Linux on the desktop now. It works for me, but I have 10 years+ experience in it. People just want it to work, being free is not good enough.

I think Google is learning this and and this is the reason for the Nexus one. All future Android phones will have to be distributed this way. Every one said Google was going to change the way phones were sold, but in fact they just went to the same model Palm and Apple use. Which is basically, Design a phone and OS, find someone to build it and then make deals with carriers. This eliminates fragmentation of Android. They just have to get the support thing worked out now. Which means they will have the employ people the do this just like Palm and Apple do.

As far as the Hero, the fact it had an outdated OS was just the last straw. I had 3 of them in that 3 weeks all had an issue with dust under the screen. I'm not impressed with HTC quality or lack of.

The supersonic does look good. I'm still don't have 3G in my area so I don't think sprint will be putting up a 4G tower around here anytime soon. I thought I read the supersonic would be late 2010? I could be very wrong about that.

As for leaving Sprint... Well, the wife went and got a Palm Pixi and she loves it. That kind of put a hole in my plans to leave Sprint. I would get me a Palm pre but the forums are filled with people complaining about hardware issues with it. Pixi's out for me because of no WIFI.

Basically I am wanting a quality built linux based smartphone with a current OS before I sign a two year contract. This does not seem to unreasonable to me.

I don't understand why the moment would take a while for the update. Its just plane copy of android, Sprint would have to put there sprint tv, nfl and nascar apps on it. The hero it would take a little longer with sense ui on it being that its HTC branded, If you look at the progress that HTC is making with sense on 2.1 you can see why its taking so long. They are also adding some new features like sense works with the accelerometer now. Android 2.1 will fix the issues with the lag and browser. I think the update is comeing soon. Google is done. HTC is almost done. Then we just have to wait for sprint to add there apps.

But it does make me wonder on what they are going to do with navigation. I hope they keep the native app in android.

Sucks that you had issues with your hero's.

I love this phone i have been waiting for a while for it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus coming to Sprint via Walmart?

http://bit.ly/8IP305http://

Highlighted

it.coog wrote:

Nexus coming to Sprint via Walmart?

http://bit.ly/8IP305http://

Not going to happen.  At least not for now.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9149319/Google_nixes_Wal_Mart_Nexus_One_sales

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat