cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was excited about the ICECREAM SANDWICH update initially but I am really starting to hate my phone now!!!!!

Journeyman

I was excited about the ICECREAM SANDWICH update initially but I am really starting to hate my phone now!!!!!

Ever since I updated my phone, battery life has been horrible where usage has not changed. My signal has also been worse and the past two days, it has been almost impossible to connect or stay connected to a wifi network!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, yesterday me, my gf and my best friend all recieved a text containing all the crap below but no return number or code. All phones are running the new software update, no 3rd party messaging apps and phones are running stock software, no rooting. What gives???? I am thoroughly frustrated with this phone now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

��B M y���   2��~d 4eA ~ݹycӇb ��iٕ  �ytAO�>�v�ASF�h4�A�v�(0�闟E�      
  �
     �
3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: I was excited about the ICECREAM SANDWICH update initially but I am really starting to hate my phone now!!!!!

I am having the exact same problems and there is ZERO help available - so frustrating.  I'm about to chuck this phone as far as I can.  Sad, because I loved until this update launched.  I have to charge the battery every 8 hours or so - when I'm not even using it for anything - because I can't connect to a stupid network anywhere.  Considering I live in a huge metro area and this never happened before, this is ridiculous.  I've read the entire help file on the phone and half of the instructions for customizing things are apparently for a different phone - they don't even have the options that are spelled out in the steps.

Sprint, is there help on the horizon??? 

Journeyman

Re: I was excited about the ICECREAM SANDWICH update initially but I am really starting to hate my phone now!!!!!

My wife and I both got that text message on our phones the other day too. I wonder if it was a corrupt system wide message that got sent out.

The battery life on ICS is significantly worse, I must admit. I suspect this is due to the hardware accelleration being turned on. I can offer some optimization suggestions, though you may have already done many or all of these:

1. Make sure you use a wallpaper that's not a live wallpaper.
  2. Turn your notifications down to a lower level.
  3. Turn on wi-fi when near a hotspot you plan to use, turn it off when you are away from it.
  4. Turn off your GPS when not using it... it's also a pretty big battery drain.
  5. Turn off 4G always, unless you intend to use it right then and there. You won't get anything any faster when you're waiting for it.
  6. Turn off push notifications from all applications you really don't need them from. Some games can push notifications to you every 5 minutes.
  7. Make sure you're not using any task killing software. Many apps you kill will just re-launch and take up more of your battery after they are killed.
  8. Turn your screen brightness down, or use the automatic brightness setting. The dimmer the phone, the less the battery use. Screen is one of the worst culprits.
  9. When done using your phone, turn the screen off manually. Many a time my phone has been in my pocket and my leg has been keeping my screen active. If you feel your phone is warm, something is keeping it active. Make sure you check your phone if you feel it hot in your pocket.

If I think of any more, I'll post them here for general knowledge, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head for the moment. Good luck folks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes this is TERRIBLE. I have already commented at electronic review sights.  My thoughts are simple. Whomever came up the OS should get fired.  My $500 phone is trashed! 

1. POWER CONSUMPTION IS OFF THE CHARTS

2. Signals levels seem less than normal, including WiFi in my house!

3. Can't tell if my I am in Bluetooth mode at a glance, while driving on the phone!

4. When initiating Phone mode the Phone pad always pops up.  Why not the last phone function I used!?! ( LIKE IT WAS)

5. What happened to my Google Voice link?

6. What's with hard Google search field?  I already move the original to adjacent page.  Didn't want it on mty home window.

7. Everytime I turn on my phone, the battery is at 95%. 

I called SPRINT, they said they be able to revert the phone back to the earlier OS.

More to come....

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat