cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS Killed My New Nexus S, now getting charged for repair.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS Killed My New Nexus S, now getting charged for repair.

This is more of a venting post than an actual request for support...

Recently I got a Nexus S for my wife that came installed with Android 2.3 Gingerbread and everything was going perfectly, she loved her phone and used it as her GPS, Music Player, Etc., but then she got a prompt to install a brand new operating system called Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and ever since that day the phone started force closing apps left and right to the point that she had to power cycle it to get it to work.

Within the next couple of weeks this started happening more and more, several times a day until the phone refused to load at all, called Sprint's tech support and they made us do a Factory Reset which didn't fix anything and the same phone operator told us to take it to the store to get Gingerbread back on it and to not upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. Go Figure.

Since the phone came with a 1 year warranty we decided to take it to our nearest Sprint store only to learn that we had to pay almost $40 for service because we do not have insurance (Total Equipment Protection) which to me is unbelievable. The reason for this? According to the person at the store it's because the warranty only applies if i send my phone directly to Samsung, but I didn't buy my phone from Samsung, i bought it from Sprint and i got the upgrade through Sprint's network and it basically made the phone unusable.

I imagined what would happen if the engine in my 2 month old car died and the dealer told me he had to charge me for repairs because i didn't have insurance or send it to Detroit to the manufacturer if I wanted free service, I would probably win that lawsuit easily.

What will come of this? Nothing right now, but I will be a disgruntled client with no choice but to patiently wait for my contract to expire and take my business elsewhere.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: ICS Killed My New Nexus S, now getting charged for repair.

A lot of people have been having the same issue with apps force closing, the phone shutting off (except for the bottom lights, which remain on) and not being able to turned it back on unless you take the battery out. I had mine replaced last week. Hopefully they notice the trend, and offer some sort of compensation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Those issues are pretty normal when doing major OS upgrades. The fix all is always a factory reset after updating. You didn't need to take it into repair. Just like when upgrading Windows, OSX and any OS. It's always recommended to start fresh with a new version because the files are different. Sprint doesn't need to offer anybody any type of compensation. Welcome to the smartphone world. This is pretty normal, and always recommended by any Android enthusiasts, including myself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sorry but a factory reset does not work as the previous poster just suggested. I am still waiting for my replacement as they have been on backorder but i still have to pay this 200 dollar bill even though i have been without a phone for three weeks. It should be google or Samsung that takes responsibility. Hopefully the new jelly bean will not be so messsed up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

App force closing is completely software related and by no means hardware. I had about 10 different friends and family that updated, and suffered from same issues. Factory reset fixed the issues on every single one. ICS was never messed up, it's a great version of the Android software. I have not suffered one issue with it. Also if you're using a task killer or manager? Get rid of it. That can be a huge reason for your force closing of apps.

Journeyman

I know my post was a little long, but if you had taken the time read it completely you would have noticed that we did indeed do a factory reset which did not fix the issue.

My problem is not with the software update breaking my phone, my problem is that sprint wants to charge users $35+ to fix an issue that they caused with the update that they pushed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I originally installed the original leaked version of ICS and for the most part had no issues. I did however revert back to the official GB bread version again with no issues. After receiving the official OTA ICS, my phone was a bit buggy. I master reset it a couple of times then found an article which mentioned something about clearing the "dalvik-cache". Honestly, I don't recall how I did this as it's been some time. But after I did this and master reset, my NS4G has been solid. Hopefully someone here can remember how to clear this cache and provide that information.

Best of luck and sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was reading about clearing this cache and apparently you have to root your phone, so it is out of the question for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No you don't! Download Quick app clean cache. No root required.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat