cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS Update

Journeyman

Re: ICS Update

I'm with you. they posted ICS for other devices and still no ICS for us sprint Nexus S 4G users. Im really upset about this. google has to much on thier plate or something.

Journeyman

no other PHONE currently has ICS. The ASUS transformer is not a PHONE and doesn't need any special effort to get radios working like GPS, 3g, 4g, wifi etc. The ASUS transformer also has a much bigger battery so tweaking it to attain acceptable battery life is also not a big deal. These are, however, extremely difficult to achieve for smart phones. CURRENTLY, the only other phone with ICS is the galaxy nexus, which is google's flagship device. You were promised that your nexus s 4g would be among the first PHONES (not the first DEVICE) to get ICS, and secondly, SPRINT has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ICS update, that is 100% google's job to roll out the iCS update.

I think what badchad is trying to tell you SK1WIN is that these questions have been asked on other threads in this forum, and that instead of wasting your own time posting a new thread, you could do a little reading for yourself and save YOURSELF the time and effort by finding information that is literally one click away from this thread.

main point: SPRINT is as uninformed as YOU are regarding the ics update you will not receive a rollout date from anyone at sprint, unless google tells them about it first.

Journeyman

It was rolled out March 21st

Journeyman

Any specific info on the release?

Is it here on the Sprint site?

I'm new to Sprint and would like to go with ICS if it's working well on the Epic 4G Touch.

Journeyman

Here is what I know.

It was released to SPrint on March 21, they have and can take up to 27 days to update the phones on the network. Now all phones are on the list to get it. Tech support can force the update, or your local store can install it.

Here is the problem. Tech support at Sprint knows more about nail polish then phones. (yea tell me I am wrong) hahah. There is a lack of comunication at the tech level as well.

The HTC evo will not be getting the upgrade now although the 3D and design will along with the Nexus s 4g and I think the BB Bold and 1 other.

I also hear Sprint will be launching 10 new phones that will get it as well.

I was after it on my HTC evo for the google wallet feature, I am told the ICS brings NFC capability to the phone.

Journeyman

To get the Google wallet you need the NFC antenna build into the device. Like the Nexus S 4G, it is usually attached on the battery cover not internally. So If you are to get Google wallet you will probably need some sort of adapter for the NFC antenna.

BTW Google wallet is really neat and easy to use, I love it, wish more places took it as a form of payment though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MikeP6147 wrote:

Here is what I know.

It was released to SPrint on March 21, they have and can take up to 27 days to update the phones on the network. Now all phones are on the list to get it. Tech support can force the update, or your local store can install it.

Here is the problem. Tech support at Sprint knows more about nail polish then phones. (yea tell me I am wrong) hahah. There is a lack of comunication at the tech level as well.

The HTC evo will not be getting the upgrade now although the 3D and design will along with the Nexus s 4g and I think the BB Bold and 1 other.

I also hear Sprint will be launching 10 new phones that will get it as well.

I was after it on my HTC evo for the google wallet feature, I am told the ICS brings NFC capability to the phone.

How is the Blackberry Bold going to get an upgrade to Android 4.0?

ICS will only bring NFC capability to a phone that already has the NFC chip built in to it. Currently no Sprint phone, other than the Nexus S 4G has one. This will change once the new crop of ICS devices are released over the next few months.

Journeyman

Its not a chip....Its an antenna.... You need to research this. ICS brings NFC to the table. I didnt write the update, and it is right from Tech support for google/ android. I also know that for any phone that does not have this antenna, a new sim card opens that door. ( I suggest you research that as well) SOme phones I a told have a battery option, with a  antenna, I am told this is tha case with the Nexus by samsung.

Android and RIM are seperate, Not new news, RIM does offer some versions of the same program. NFC is one, and bold has this ability since it is the internation blackberry.... This is also what tech for BB and RIM told me. I also discussed with HTC as well. All seem to be on the same page.

NFC is 10 year old tech in Japan, my complaint is, why did it take till now to reach America, these phones should have already been updated since most are made there or in Korea. ????

Everything is else true, the ICS release date was 3/21/2012. Sprint has 27 days to complete all upgrades on capable phones.

I do maintain my positon about the nail polish ect. Seems the Phone mfg has better info. or its politics once again

Journeyman

antenna vs. chip is just semantics it means exactly the same thing. ICS does NOT bring NFC to the table as google wallet was available in gingerbread as well (i.e., google wallet is not an inherent feature of ICS). NFC can only be brought to phones that either have a built in NFC chip or one that is added on YOURSELF after purchase from sprint. as is, the evo 4g and evo 3d even sgs2 are incapable of utilizing this feature. thus far only the nexus s 4g has this feature and the new galaxy nexus will also carry this feature.

Master

Updates of operating systems are done by the manufactures of he devices.  The Nexus ICS update would  be released by Google as the nexus is a pure Google device.  We are still waiting for that to happen   I do not know the source of your information.  If you look at the release information of the FC09 software we are looking at 6 weeks to roll it out to all devices.  Your  statements  seem to say we have 27 days to roll an update out to all models of phone that can run it.    At this point I have heard nothing about when ICS will be released.   Have read that there has  been release of the GSM version to some countries in Europe.   We are hoping to see a release soon, but have no information as to when.

The Sprint phones that have NFC capabilites are the BB 9930 the BB 9350 and the Nexus S   This capability has nothing to do with  ICS

Sprint Employee

It seems you no longer need to have an NFC chip and receiver built into your phone to use NFC.. read here and ICS may be required to get Google Wallet for phones which do not have built in NFC devices

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

yes that's correct. the add-on NFC feature has been available for quite some time. in special battery cases that have a built in chip, for example. even on nexus s 4g, the NFC chip is implemented into the battery cover, it is not inside the phone itself. you can remove the cover and see the chip yourself, very cool! but i've never used that functionality myself

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat