cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jelly Bean Update?

Journeyman

Jelly Bean Update?

I hope someone can answer this for me. Google just announced Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) for the Nexus S. Does that mean the Nexus S 4G will get the update? I hope Sprint doesn't block this update. I would hope Sprint & Google will work together to bring Jelly Bean to our Nexus S 4G devices. Thank you.

128 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Jelly Bean Update?

I am sure it's coming to the NS4G as well. The updates is coming directly from Google anyways. Sprint just has to approve it.

Journeyman

When do you think it'll come?  I am confident that it will but I'm skeptical with the time frame.  I'm just hoping that the rooting community comes through in a more timely manner

Journeyman

Didnt Google say "mid-July"? I think I read that somewhere.

Journeyman

Yeah but that's when Google will release it.  That doesn't mean that's when sprint will. Remember the ICS release?

Journeyman

I can assure you that our precious Nexus S 4G's will be getting the 4.1 Jelly Bean update. However, Sprint has proven slow to push the updates out, and I believe its due to the following reasons:

The NS4G contains a WiMAX 4G radio AND an NFC chip, which the GSM/HSPA variations of the Nexus S do not (AT&T/T-Mobile) - and these said variations are true Nexus devices which updates are pushed solely through by Google, not their respective carriers. Therefore, Sprint must be provided with a separate ROM which adds support for WiMAX and NFC capabilities of the NS4G, and then, Sprint is responsible for pushing out the update - in increments - which typically can take up to a month for all NS4G users to receive.

CDMA carriers (Sprint/Verizon) operate differently than GSM carriers (AT&T/T-Mobile) for pushing out updates. However, just like the ICS update for the Nexus S 4G, you CAN flash the stock Jelly Bean ROM for the NS4G (when its leaked out to the public) instead of waiting for Sprint's agonizing incremental update to reach you beloved handset. And, you don't need to 'root' your phone in order to do so. Just keep an eye out at XDA Developers NS4G forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1171 for the leaked ROM when its available. And if history has proven anything, the ROM WILL BE LEAKED. You might be wondering what the risks are for installing a leaked ROM.. Simple: 9 times out of 10, the ROM can be flashed to your phone without a hitch and instructions are typically provided on the forum thread with the leaked ROM on how to do so. However, you run the risk of - A: the leaked ROM you install might not be the final version Sprint would be releasing, and, B: if you're really bad at following directions and/or you don't do your homework, you could brick your phone and your warranty might void since you took it upon yourself to do such things.

So there's your answer, and I am willing to bet this type of answer will also be relevant to the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint, as well...

Sincerest Regards...

Journeyman

Actually, this is incorrect as of today:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/android-building/u0RgVFy6y84

Jean-Baptiste Queru is the lead on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) at Google and is pretty much THE guy who would know information like this. He's also the one who puts the AOSP files up on https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers. So our phone is once again fully supported by AOSP meaning Google will update our phones now that they have access to the CDMA and WiMAX files without any problems from Sprint.

This means we're now more likely to get the update in mid-July along with the GSM (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus) devices rather than waiting for Sprint.

Journeyman

I don't think what Jean-BQ said makes what I said "incorrect" - however this is good news! I still see the problem here as Sprint having to roll out the upgrade in prime-CDMA fashion: month long rollouts, delays for who knows why, etc.. He was pretty clear in the discussion that he can't comment on updates, update frequencies and how updates are done. So I'm not holding my breath to see a sincere, timely rollout by Sprint. But we can always hope!

Journeyman

I have Jean-Babtiste Queru on my Google+. I took the liberty of asking him this question. This is what he wrote back to me & very quickly I might add.

" It's hard for any Googler to answer this with certainty, as some aspects of the process aren't in Google's hands."

Lets not make any assumptions. I did see the news about the Nexus S 4G returning to the AOSP which I think improves our odds. But if I might parse the words just a bit.... "some aspects of the process aren't in Google's hands." Which leads me to believe that both Samsung & Sprint will both have some impact on this as well. I don't think we can assume either way if we're getting the update or not.

So as far as I'm concerned? It hasn't been answered in the affirmative or negative of what's going to happen. So lets not make assumptions. We need a concrete answers from Google, Sprint, & Samsung that this is going to happen. Perhaps that the Galaxy Nexus has been banned in the US? Maybe that might open a window where the Nexus S might possibly & it's just speculation on my part get Jelly Bean. The Flagship Galaxy Nexus Android phone is banned. The Nexus S 4G & sister Nexus S devices are the only Nexus device that haven't been banned & is in sufficient purchasing numbers for consumers & developers.

Journeyman

The assumption is less "will we get the update at all?" and more "when will the update come?"

JBQ will create the 4.1 files for NS4G and will put them up WHEN Sprint approves the OTA (remember, Samsung doesn't have anything to do with our software). Yes, it WILL come to the phone, there's no reason to assume otherwise.

As for the Galaxy Nexus being banned, that's only because Apple doesn't want competition. It's painfully obvious because the Galaxy Nexus does search the exact same way every single Android phone does. However, it was singled out because it's the current flagship phone.

Journeyman

I think a better another question is will we see an official jelly bean update in a timely manner?  I was running ICS on my NS4G 6 months in advance of people in the forms (thank you xda) and it was unforunately painful to see many people having to wait.  Right now there's already a version of jelly bean out for our devices working for the most part, minus the 3G and WiFi.

Journeyman

Although I highly disagree with what Apple's doing, and I know for a fact that we have an extremely broken patent and copyright system in this country which stifles innovation, their patents obviously held up in court and they got their injunction - and invested a $90+ million dollar bond to help enforce it. Its going to be interesting to see if the software update they're going to push out dances around it enough to lift the injunction, and whether or not Google has to make the same changes to all stock ROMs..

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.