cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus One

Journeyman

Nexus One

Does anyone know if Sprint is going to sell the Nexus One by Google?

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Nexus One

No word yet - we don't even know when the CDMA (Verizon) version will be out.  I'm personally hoping that Sprint will let you light up an unlocked version when it comes out, but I don't have any official news on that.

Thanks for joining the community; hope you enjoy your time here!

(Moved this thread to the Android forum, since it's an Android phone)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi.

I heard from a sales representative today (at Costco) that Sprint already had an (Android) phone. Am I wrong?

In a way, it probably sucks to have the 1st generation of any phone, until all of the "bugs" get worked out and there is more review, repair,

and response to the "new" product.

Just like Microsoft Windows TM  always claims their last upgrade is the latest and greatest...I'll believe when I can judge for myself.

(You gotta take all of the above with a grain of salt.)

R...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint has two Android phones, the HTC Hero and the Samsung Moment. I have the Hero, have to say that it hasn't sucked to have one of the first ones out. It does have some faults, battery life and some lag here and there, but I have no regrets at all over getting this phone. Plus in a while it is to be upgraded and will be running just about everything that the Nexus is running. Very cool phone imho.

Highlighted
Master

Google's Nexus One: It's Unlocked But ...

Highlighted
Journeyman

So google just designed this phone to work only on the t-mobile network with no input or agreement from t-mobile.  Google just decided they would build this phone and randomly chose the t-mobile as the technology it would choose to design the phone around. 

Or maybe, google shopped around with the idea of this iphone killer phone.  If they did, let's think did AT&T need or want an iphone killer?...I'm guessing no that might be bad for business.  What about Verizon?  They probably would've jumped at the idea before the release of the Droid, but I'm guessing they're feeling pretty good about their partnership with Motorola right now.  What about Sprint?  Heck no, Sprint has all the greatest phones, why would they need an iphone killer.  They've got the palm pre, the blackberry, the HTC Hero,...those are the hottest phones on the market, why would they need an iphone killer.  So who is left?  T-Molbie of course, might as well design the nexus to work of their network because no other network needs a phone to compete with the iphone (or the Droid for that matter).

Highlighted
Journeyman

"They've got the palm pre, the blackberry, the HTC Hero,...those are the hottest phones on the market, why would they need an iphone killer"

You are kidding right?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had hoped the sarcasm concerning Sprint's less than stellar phone lineup would have been more obvious.  I guess it was possibly a little too subtle.  I'll try again.

So here's google shopping around this idea for an iphone killer with the big three networks.  As noted earlier, AT&T definitely doesn't want it, Verizon isn't so desperate after the Droid.  What about Sprint, HELL YA they need it, they should have been wining and dining the pants off of google to get that phone designed for the Sprint network.  Sprint's smartphone lineup sucks @ss to say the least.  If sprint wants to compete and stay alive they need to have to compete with with the iphone, the droid and now the nexus.  Sprint has the palm pre so nothing to worry about.

Message was edited by: Dutch08

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dont get the facination with this N1. Other than a faster processor, there is not much difference between it and the hero. If you have a slow hero its the software on it thats causing it. Once the 2.1 is here, you will see that the hero can compete with ANY android device out there. Im running a custom ROM of 2.1 and I have 2 friends with a droid and my hero keeps pace with them on every single test they can come up with. Please stop complaining about what you dont have. If you REALLY want to phone, cancel your contract with sprint and run on over to T-Mobile. I bet after a week you would regret it, with all your dropped calls and shady signals.

Highlighted
Wizard

i don't see why sprint won't go with the nexus one, it just seems to make good business sense and competitive with other CDMA networks.  this is the phone that will definitely get me to upgrade from the original instinct (both of them).  until then, i'll stick with the instinct(s), with a keen eye on other networks to see about moving over if sprint decides to remain status quo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

swazedahustla wrote:

I dont get the facination with this N1. Other than a faster processor, there is not much difference between it and the hero. If you have a slow hero its the software on it thats causing it. Once the 2.1 is here, you will see that the hero can compete with ANY android device out there. Im running a custom ROM of 2.1 and I have 2 friends with a droid and my hero keeps pace with them on every single test they can come up with. Please stop complaining about what you dont have. If you REALLY want to phone, cancel your contract with sprint and run on over to T-Mobile. I bet after a week you would regret it, with all your dropped calls and shady signals.

Agreed. N1 doesn't have the Sense UI which adds a lot on top of stock Android (IMHO.) Once the Hero has 2.1 it should actually be better than the N1 (at least SW-wise.)

I am sure in the next year we will see phones with even faster processors than the N1 and the N1 will seem "slow" then. Right now the Hero is plenty fast for my use.

Highlighted
Journeyman

swazedahustla:  I think you're underestimating the importance of a next-generation processor.  I've never seen Android 2.1 running on a Hero, so it may very well run smoothly on your device.  At the same time, Android 2.1 and newer builds are going to increasingly take advantage of 3D UI elements, which will further separate the performance between older Android phones and the current and upcoming phones using at least the Snapdragon processor.  There has already been information that some of these elements will have to be scaled down for older phones such as the Hero.  The Snapdragon processor is much faster than the older ARM 11 processors in terms of 3D rendering.

Another large difference between the phones is screen size and resolution.  The Droid and Nexus One both have over twice the screen resolution of the Hero, and this difference definitely taxes the processor.  That may be the reason why your friends' Droids do not seem to be drastically faster than your Hero.  In actuality, that Droid--and the Nexus One--is doing twice the rendering work.  A high resolution screen is really important to a lot of us, especially in terms of multimedia and web surfing.  The larger size of the screen (3.7" versus 3.2") as well as the newer screen technology (AMOLED) are also big upgrades.

There are other smaller "upgrades," such as form factor, battery life, etc.  However, I think the above mentioned differences definitely warrant consideration, especially since the high-end phone market is moving towards larger screens and faster processors.  It might not make that large of a difference to many users at the moment, but as app developers begin to take advantage of the upgraded hardware, older devices will be left behind or compromised... as is always the case with technological developments.

At the very least, Sprint needs to keep up with the trends occurring within its market.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat