cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4G - paperweight ready

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus S 4G - paperweight ready

I have had this sorry excuse for a reliable phone since January, and, due to the great online price, have 3 total on my plan. I have had issues with not getting a very good signal, turning on and off at will, rebooting whenever it wants to, touch screen not working - will unlock, but then won't let me answer the call - pocket dialing while locked, random dialing when I select a favorite, (it dials the number before or after my selection), and now the latest issue.....I cannot receive PIN code messages. I just tried to change some personal data on my health insurance, and it sent me a PIN code to allow the changes to be authorized. I have sent, resent and reresent, without receiving a thing. If this was isolated to one company, I would blame the company. However, it matters not which company is sending, because my Samsung Nexus S 4G by Google is an equal opportunity rejecter. I get NO PIN code texts. Is it me, because of my bad karma with this device, or are there others having the same problem?

4 REPLIES 4
Wizard

Re: Nexus S 4G - paperweight ready

Moving to the Nexus S forum for more visibility.

Journeyman

I've had my NS4G since launch. Can't say that I haven't had any minor annoyances with it, but for the most part it has worked well. After upgrading from GB to ICS and ICS to JB, I've always factory reset my phone, updated the profile and PRL and then reinstalled whaevert apps were not reinstalled by default. I haven't experienced any of the things you describe. Are all three phones doing the same thing? My signal strength is on par with my 4 LG phones I have on my account, though I'm not sure if that is saying much.

I've been able to retrieve PIN codes via SMS and even have a class B security certificate installed so I can access my corporate email and calendar through a https: website. Have you tried a factory reset? If not, do so using the power/volume buttons and clear both the data and the cache. You can search on "how to reset the nexus s 4g". There are plenty of articles. Make sure the contacts are sync'd and you save any pictures or documents you want.

Good luck ...

Journeyman

My phone has really never worked properly. I have all of the same issues as you do. I'm just counting down to May 1st when I'm eligible to upgrade.

Journeyman

I am having/have had all of the exact same issues you just described. I'm also now having issues with the power button not responding properly, which I'm hopeful is simply a hardware issue that can be fixed by a Sprint repair store.

I can't say my phone has been nothing but problems, because it's been generally fine otherwise, but these issues have colored my perception of the phone and do make for an overall unenjoyable experience. Not sure how much is exclusive to the hardware, versus how much is Android based.

That said, I'm eligible for a phone upgrade in May, and I plan to either upgrade to the next version of the iPhone in the fall, or switch to a new carrier pending Sprint's elusive 4G rollouts in Phoenix. (First, 4G WiMax never came before they canceled that rollout, now Phoenix isn't even on the 4G LTE list. Seriously, we're the 6th largest city in the US, and we apparently don't deserve Sprint's attention, but I digress...)

Thanks for posting your issue - it's nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. Now, if only Sprint/Samsung/Android could take heed of these reports and make their stuff work properly, then maybe we would all be better off.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat