Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4G update confirmation please? Is GRJ90 update real?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprintfeed has posted this as a potential Nexus S 4G update. Allegedly it is being called GRJ90.

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/07/nexus-s-4g-software-update-coming-july-11/

It's also been reported by Android & Me.

http://androidandme.com/2011/07/news/nexus-s-4g-to-receive-much-needed-bugfixes-on-711/

This Is My Next has also reported on this.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/06/nexus-4g-update-rumored-july-11th-google-wallet-launching-shortly...

According to the leaked info, it will fix the following:

• Enables the NFC Secure Element
  • 4G Settings Widget
  • TTY Support
  • NI Push Support (Changes to the PRL download mechanism & configuration.)
  • Improved WiFi Connectivity, Speakerphone audio quality, 4G throughput and signal acquisition.
  • Tuned signal strength indicators.

Also, this alleged update will start July 11th and be available to all phones by July 14th. Can we get some confirmation that this GRJ90 update is authentic & the dates indicated are factual? Thank you in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Wizard

Sorry, but no official word for release yet.

Highlighted
Wizard

Hi jgomez721, as of yet I have not received any official information regarding this issue here. I will keep a close eye on this in the next few days and let you know what I find out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's my understanding that this update will "improve" your signal simply by making more of the 4 total bars show as green.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope you're wrong. I hope it actually fixes it. If it does, I might reconsider getting it - even though the specs are way out-dated.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Nexus S 4G update confirmation please? Is GRJ90 update real?

I called *2 today about the "reported" update.  They could not confirm but gave me the stock statement that Sprint is "...aware that a small number of customers have reported problems with connectivity...we are investigating...cannot duplicate the issues...cannot say if or when there will be an update..."

I wrote Dan@sprint.com asking for info about it and recieved the automated response but encourage you to do the same.  Dan@sprint.com is very good at getting back to customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The update isn't coming from Sprint. It's coming from Google. This phone receives updates exactly like the AT&T compatible unlocked Nexus One. The updates for that phone were not subject to AT&T's testing process because it was never sold by AT&T. Likewise the updates for the Nexus S 4G phone are likely not subject to Sprint's normal testing process.

Journeyman

Wasn't the Nexus One sold via google off contract and via t mobile on contract?

Highlighted
Journeyman

It was but Google still controls the updates. T-Mobile just subsidized the price and got a two year contract out of it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is NI Push Support? Does this eliminate the need to periodically update the PRL manually?

Highlighted
Wizard

Network Initiated Push Support.

In other words, if an updated PRL is released, we can send it down from the network. Additionally if other programming information is changed or updated, the phone can now receive these updates from the network without having to manually tell it to update the profile from the device itself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I talked to a friend who is a manager at a Sprint store and she said she knew about the update and had been informed of it. Also, heard that because of the data outage nationwide that the update is postponed, but that is not from a confirmed source.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat