cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4G update question

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can anyone at Sprint confirm that the Nexus S 4G will be receiving an update today?  Many forums are rumbling about this rumored update and it would be nice to have some clarification.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

bump

Journeyman

If by update means not being able to send text messages, then yes.  Whatever Sprint did, I can't send any text messages AT ALL today.  Everything bumps back with an error message.  What the hell Sprint?

Journeyman

Talked to Sprint yesterday,  2 T2 support techs denied any knowledge of an update. Even if Google is putting out the update,  shouldn't the radio still be from Sprint. Therefore they should have some knowledge of update,  right. But no, i just got put on hold,  and then it just hung up on me. #&%$@**

Wizard

Hello!

Sorry about the problems. There is an update planned for the phone, but we don't have a date for release for it yet. It is pretty rare for these sort of updates to be announced by Sprint, especially more so with the Nexus series as they are almost entirely controlled by Google. Even if we do provide a radio software update to Google that does not mean that Google will immediately push that down.

In terms of what we as tech knows, unfortunately unless a specific bit of information has been officially released by Sprint, we can't confirm or provide said information. Even if there are pictures of whatever it is, sealed and notarized as authentic, we still can't comment on it.

Journeyman

JP,

What I'd like to know is IF the update will fix the signal problem with the Nexus S?  So far, the experience with the phone has been awful (the phone is great but signal acquisition is probably the WORST I have ever experienced in a Sprint phone).  In most metro areas (I'm in NYC), I get great service, full bars, everything.  Once I venture outside, I get absolutely nothing...1~2 bars if I am lucky.  It is extremely inexcusable, all my friends on different carriers get perfect signal while the Nexus gets cr*p.  This is extremely irritating since I use a GPS app to track my runs and bike routes but with this issue, I can't do ANY of that.

Is there even a fix for this and most importantly, IS THERE EVEN AN UPDATE IN EXISTANCE?!?!?!

Master

July 25th

Nexus S™ 4G is getting a software update designed to improve 4G data speeds for users and provide several other updates. The release will begin rolling out to Nexus S 4G handsets on Monday, July 25. All users should receive the update in the next three weeks.

In Sprint's preproduction testing, Nexus S 4G showed excellent performance. After receiving feedback from a small number of our customers, we conducted a secondary analysis of its performance with our partners at Google and Samsung and were able to identify some ways we could boost performance on Nexus S 4G.

These enhancements should increase 4G data speeds and signal strength for users. The software update also improves Wi-Fi connectivity, speakerphone audio quality and adds TTY support for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Re: Nexus S 4G update question

@Larry OKIESTRO  (or any other Sprint employee that feels like fielding this question):

You seem a little more knowledgeable about this update than many of the Sprint employees that seem to be just copying and pasting the press release. Its been stated that the update will help performance with the 4G and WiFi radios, but do you know if it will help anything on the CDMA radio (voice/3G/1x)? A large portion of the signal issue complaints people have had have to do with the CDMA radio (horribly slow 3G data, dropped calls, etc...), in addition to the other radios. Personally, I am regularly having dropped calls with the Nexus S and have never had an issue with dropped calls on any phone in my prior 13+ years of Sprint service.  This is not a "number of bars" issue as many Sprint techs have claimed. I don't look at or care about bars. I do care about dropped calls and signal strength in actual numbers (dBm), both of which show a very real problem on this phone. If the software update doesn't/can't fix it, there are defintely some major hardware/design flaws in this phone and Sprint/Samsung should be looking at a hardware revision and recall.

Master

Cell phone signal is usually referred to as a value RSSI (Return Signal Strength Indicator) - I like to use the CelluMap application in Android Market because it breaks down voice and data signal strength separately.  The new software improves the devices handling of RF signal - at least from all that I have seen/heard. This is not an antenna issue like iPhone 4 has. I have communicated with several longtime loyal  Sprint customers like yourself who know the device was different.  When you have used multiple phones in the same place you know what to expect and when something is off you know it.  I am hoping this is a strong rebound for the Nexus S so we can forget about the older Android devices Samsung has rushed to market with.

(oh - just to be honest - mine is a cut and paste also but it was the best description of what is occurring)

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat