cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My husband and I both got the Nexus S last summer.

The deciding factor for me was the Sprint employee who assured me that as a pure Google phone, it would be the first phone to receive the new version of Android when it came out.

We are both extremely disappointed with how this update has been handled. Sprint and Google have both been silent. I won't be buying another Google phone.

Sprint, this isn't fair. You owe us answers.

123 REPLIES 123
Wizard

Re: Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

In regards to the ICS release, the development teams along with the respected manufacturers are working to insure the release is reduced of its potential bugs or glitches. And as each division goes through testing, we all want to make sure that the product can be released without issue so that we do not have a repeat of the LG Optimus or early EVO issues. As this information regarding new release dates becomes available, we will certainly keep our customers informed. We understand how frustrating this is and appreciate your continued patience.

Markie_B

Journeyman

I'd like to put my two cents on this whole Android 4.0 update debacle.

I've been a customer of Sprint since Sept 2007. In 2009 I went from a Sanyo Flip Phone to the Samsung Instinct. Worst phone ever. When Sprint rushed several updates? Oh boy did it cause problem. MR4, MR5, MR6. Disasterous maintenance releases that just screwed up a lot of things. I switched to the Samsung Moment, my first Android device in 2010. I had for the most part a pretty good experience except for the fact that Samsung wouldn't upgrade the Moment to FroYo. There wasn't anything Sprint could do since it was Samsung's call.

In 2011, I've got the Nexus S 4G. For the most part, I haven't had any issues with it. It's been the best Android device I've ever owned. In the short span that I've owned the phone, we've gone from Android 2.3.4 to Android 2.3.5 to Android 2.3.7. Now we're on the verge of Android 4.0. I've read numerous articles about issues in Android 4.0's initial release. Battery & CPU issues. Face Unlock defeated by a photo. Other issues.

I've been reading that the versions coming to the Nexus S 4G is Android 4.0.4. I've even read about the existence of Android 4.0.5. Clearly, Ice Cream Sandwhich (Android 4.x) has a lot of issues. So, I don't think this is a Sprint issue. The problem here is Google's Android Team. The Android team really needs to get it's act together. If they want to compete with the iPhone? The Android Team has got to have a better more polished product. ICS isn't there yet & I hope future versions will be.

Trust me, I had battles in the old days about Sprint's pretty epic mess ups. I'm certainly not defending Sprint. I still think they could be more proactive with testing, customer service, & etc. But coming from the Instinct mess, the Evo 4G debacle, & other phones? I don't blame Sprint for wanting to get the update done right. The very first time. But this particular update for Android 4.0? This mess is all on Google. It falls on the Android Team. On Andy Rubin's shoulders. It's Google's Nexus Brand. It's Google's major update to the platform. Google need to own it & take responsibility. 62 days after GSM Nexus start getting their updates & we still don't have ICS out? That's unacceptable.

Keep it mind what you're dealing with when the Galaxy Nexus or the Nexus after that comes out. Vote with your wallet the next time you're ready to get a new phone. I'm certainly keeping my options in mind. I'm leary of trusting another Nexus device if they can't get a major update done in a timely manner.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

Markie_B, I appreciate your reply, but I don't think it's adequate.

Why were were (and many other people who purchased the Nexus S, I'm certain) lied to? I would not have purchased this phone had I known how things would really happen. I feel like I should have the option to trade to something else.

This treatment of your customers is not acceptable.

Wizard

itsatrap,

I can certainly understand how you would feel in regards to the information provided regarding updates to an android based phone and that being your buying point or deal breaker when it comes to your purchase. I am also an android OS owner with multiple devices so it is frustrating when you hear of other devices receiving updates and you are still on the waiting end. I will say that one of the other networks released ICS when it first became available and it was so disastrous that Google pulled the update. All the more reason to get it right. I am sure when agents speak regarding a product, they are speaking on what is being relayed at that time. We are not by any means trying to deceive our customers and certainly are not made any more aware of potential issues with releases prior to being told about them from the developers.

Markie_B

Journeyman

itsatrap wrote:

The deciding factor for me was the Sprint employee who assured me that as a pure Google phone, it would be the first phone to receive the new version of Android when it came out.

Just because you haven't received the update yet does not mean that the Nexus S isn't the first phone that will be updated. The only phone with ICS is the Galaxy Nexus, and that is because it is the ICS flagship phone.

Journeyman

I should have mentioned I wasn't just told it would be the first phone, but that it would be almost immediately, within days to a week of the release of the new OS.

Regardless of whether it is a Google or Samsung issue, there has been nothing but silence from either of them. I think their customers have a right to know what is going on, beyond an extremely hazy ( I'm sorry Markie_B, I know it's all you can say), "we're working on it" here on the forums.

I'm quitting Android next time around. I'm done with this.

Journeyman

@Markie_B

"We are not by any means trying to deceive our customers"

Really? Then why does the Sprint store website list "Who will love it: Android-powered players who want the latest Google Apps™ and OS updates as soon as humanly possible." as a feature of the Nexus S? I would post a screen shot but it looks like you guys delete those post almost imediately.

A screen shot has been taken as proof of this post.

Journeyman

itsatrap and nexusS4glies,

I have received an email from an inquiry about ics on the nexus 4g phone and from the reply, it sounds like sprint does know when the update will come but wont tell us because "this information is not available to customers."  This is a true slap in the face by sprint to leave us in the dark.  Makes me want to drop sprint and move to another carrier.  I am copying the email to this.  And feel free to email me [......] if you'd like to know more or have the email forwarded to you.  I am also taking a screenshot of this post as proof that it did exist and knowing that the post will be deleted.  The email is as following:

Dear Jason,

Thank you for contacting Sprint regarding the Android 4.0 update.

Since this information is not available to our customers, I am unable to

provide the details you requested. 

Whenever we launch, you will find details on

sprint.com

and in

promotional information at our retail stores.

We encourage you to watch news reports or monitor our Web site to see

further infromation

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to answer your

questions

Sincerely,

Leslie A.

Sprint

Get the best value for your money & exercise your freedom

to change plans anytime without penalties - we promise!

www.sprint.com/planpromise

Sprint.com is all about you! My Sprint puts what you want to know,

right at your fingertips -- take a tour and sign up today!

www.sprint.com/mysprint

Message was edited by: mapesy who took out private information

Journeyman

I loved Android and love my Nexus S, and there was only one reason I got this phone over any of the other options I had, and that was to get OS updates before any other phone. It may seem stupid for someone to be infatuated with there phone, but I am. That is why I am so upset over this whole debacle. This has completely changed the way I feel about not only Sprint, but Android and Samsung. At the earliest time possible I will be moving away from Android and Sprint. Sprint, you should let your customers know whats going on. Google, you should keep your promises on your flagship phone. Samsung, you made this product, make it work. All of you are an issue, and I see one remedy. Verizon iPhone.

Journeyman

mthatch1 wrote:

I loved Android and love my Nexus S, and there was only one reason I got this phone over any of the other options I had, and that was to get OS updates before any other phone. It may seem stupid for someone to be infatuated with there phone, but I am. That is why I am so upset over this whole debacle. This has completely changed the way I feel about not only Sprint, but Android and Samsung. At the earliest time possible I will be moving away from Android and Sprint. Sprint, you should let your customers know whats going on. Google, you should keep your promises on your flagship phone. Samsung, you made this product, make it work. All of you are an issue, and I see one remedy. Verizon iPhone.

First of all, the Nexus S will still be getting the update before other phones. Secondly, it is a pure google phone, so it's google's responsibility to let customers know what is going on, which they DID. There was a problem with the updates to the GSM Nexus S, therefore google pulled ALL the updates until they get everything fixed; currently only a handful of T-mobile nexus S users have ICS. Samsung only made the phone; it is a pure google phone meaning samsung has nothing to do with it other than putting it together.

Offtopic: if you really wanted ICS you could flash a custom rom to your phone.

Journeyman

nexusS4glies wrote:

Really? Then why does the Sprint store website list "Who will love it: Android-powered players who want the latest Google Apps™ and OS updates as soon as humanly possible." as a feature of the Nexus S? I would post a screen shot but it looks like you guys delete those post almost imediately.

Did you ever stop to think that the update wasn't possible yet? The Nexus S variant of ICS that was leaked a couple weeks ago still wasn't 100% stable, and had issues such as poor reception and battery life; if they released that version, people would be flooding the forums about bad reception or bad battery life. All you posters do is create a lose-lose situation for Sprint/Google.

Give them time to work everything out.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat