cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

My husband and I both got the Nexus S last summer.

The deciding factor for me was the Sprint employee who assured me that as a pure Google phone, it would be the first phone to receive the new version of Android when it came out.

We are both extremely disappointed with how this update has been handled. Sprint and Google have both been silent. I won't be buying another Google phone.

Sprint, this isn't fair. You owe us answers.

123 REPLIES 123
Highlighted
Journeyman

Perhaps everyone should take a deep breath and observe that with the exception of the ultra tech savy NO ONE ELSE HAS ICS/Android 4 or whatever you choose to call it.  I know as a society people are just spoiled rotten on I want it now.  But I'd rather have a fully working ICS than one where I have to wait for patches and fixes.  Most of us are familiar with Microsoft and their patch a day to make something work right method of doing things.  Yes it might be tad bit annoying to the I want it now mentality.  However; aks yourself do you want it now or do you really want it to work perfectly with MINIMAL Errors when you do get it. 

Face the facts tech is moving too fast these days.  And in this economy who excepting the filthy rich can actually afford to keep the pace?  I am for one just want to make sure my current Nexus S 4G phone will take Android 4.0.  I don't wanna find myself in a situation having to buy at 299.00 the New Galaxy Nexus just to get Android 4.0.  Should that happen THEN I WILL BE JUST AS ANGRY as many of you.  If they are working on issues making the OS support both the Nexus S and the Forth Coming Galaxy Nexus so both can work effectively and efficiently with ICS.  Then by all means allow them TIME to complete this. 

Like many of you I love the latest features and use every single feature on my Smartphone.  The looks I get when I use my Google Wallet to pay for my Mc Donalds and Jamba Juices, Nike's, and so on is priceless.  So if SAMSUNG, Google, and Sprint need few extra months to get this right.  Please as supposedly loyal customers we should maintain a tinge of faith the finished product will be worth the wait. 

If my faith is misplaced I swear to return and take my slaps for this post.......

Highlighted
Journeyman

networker,

i have to agree with you.  I would love to have ics or android 4.0 right now, but I also want it to be done right so im patiently waiting.  It just makes me mad that no one is saying anything about it.  nothing from sprint or google or samsung. I think most of would be happy with a simple "hey we are working getting it right for you".  That's all i want is someone just to acknowledge us and let us know we are heard.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Networker,

It's not of an issue of being "spoiled rotten" and wanting the newest technology right now. This is an issue of Google, Sprint, and Samsung making a promise to their customers, failing to deliver on that promise, and then complete lack of communication past that point. That promise was the only reason I chose this phone over the others. I wouldn't be so upset about waiting, and I'm sure others wouldn't either, if any of these companies were simply transparent and communicative about what was going on, instead of completely ignoring their customers.

The Nexus S was Google's "flagship" phone. I do want ICS to work properly when I get it, and I don't want to void my warrenty, which is why I haven't installed it myself. Google blatantly ignoring the owners of THE Google phone is not okay in any way. I'm no longer going to support the nexus line, and frankly, I don't see why anyone would if this is how google treats their customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think it's a little silly to want to trade in your Nexus S for another phone, yes, you and I will see the update soon. For the reasons you wanting an Android phone, if you were to trade it in, I suggest the Galaxy Nexus ones it does comes to Sprint. The Nexus devices will always recieve the updates first, before any other phone out there with some kind of overlay ontop of the Android OS.

Despite the delay, this is one amazing phone for a single core 1GHz CPU. With the mix of the GPU and CPU in this device and the original vinilla Android 2.3 on it. It makes this phone the most powerful single core phone that is out there on the market today. If you are to keep the phone, take advantage of the phone, the specs are build for major use. It handles high demanding games like no problem, don't believe me? Try Real Racing 2 or Shadowgun on the original Galaxy S series and then on the Nexus S. Both series are essentially the same in terms of specs.

You will learn how much of a burden that Touch Wiz UI is to this processor and how great this processor works with the original Google Android OS.

You will also learn that the battery on this phone lasts much longer than most Android devices, I got about 40 hours on light use, 17 on moderate and 7-9 on heavy use. And just think, once 4.0 does come out on this device, which is supposed extend the battery life, imagine on how long you will go without charging it.

This is simply an amazing phone for what it has.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My guess is that this will be released at the same time or shortly after the Galaxy Nexus on Sprint.  I'm sure it is solely for marketing reasons.  The idea will be to highlight the GN as the first phone on Sprint with ICS, and the most powerful android phone, etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think you are missing the point. 

• Yes, we would LOVE to have ICS working flawlessly on our Nexus S 4G phones.
  • Yes, we understand that s**t happens and deadlines come and go.

But Spint had their sales staff PUSH the Nexus S 4G over their other phones, telling us that because these were "pure Google" phones that there wouldn't be any fluff or stuff on these units and that whenever Google released updates and their new OS, that the Nexus S 4G would be the first to get those updates.

So we bought them, and we waited.  And waited.  And waited some more.  ICS was released and we continued to wait.  Versions are "leaked", fake web site screen shots are distributed.  And we STILL wait.

What are we waiting for?  Well, the bare minimum would be some word coming directly from Sprint, Google, or Samsung.  You know, some kind of status report, explaining what heck is going on.  Maybe even a timeline, like Verizon released today.

Or... if Google/Samsung/Sprint have come to the decision NOT to release ICS to the Nexus S 4G, they should come out and say so, that way we can decide whether to make do with what we have or just go in another direction.

I DON'T need to hear about how we can just root our own phone if we want ICS.  That is fine if you don't care about a warranty on your phone.  In case you didn't bother to read the fine print, if your phone has been rooted, you void that warranty, and if you need to ever replace your phone, you might as well use it as a paper weight, because Sprint will not replace it and neither will Samsung.

We already know that Verizon is going to be releasing ICS to a lot of their Android lineup within a couple of weeks.  This was just announced this morning.  So much for that "Nexus S gets the first upgrade" crap.  Even LG is releasing its timeline and the possibility that THEY will become the next Google sucker.

Sprint needs to step up NOW and let us know what is going on, one way or the other -- even if it is to tell us to go pound sand.  The point is they have to let us know SOMETHING, and the sooner the better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

djallynrules - Amen, that about says it all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) the ICS update is not in Sprint's hands but GOOGLE'S as has been proven on this forum several times THUS your complaints are misdirected.

2) "Sprint has their sales staff PUSH the Nexus S 4G over their other phones, telling us that because these were "pure Google" phones that there wouldn't be any fluff or stuff on these units and that whenever Google released updates and their new OS, that the Nexus S 4G would be first to get those updates."

Is there any fluff or stuff on the nexus s 4g? NO!

Has ICS been released on any other phone yet besides Galaxy Nexus? NO!

THEREFORE, were you lied to and do you have any grounds to complain? NO!

3) "So we bought them, and we waited.  And waited.  And waited some more.  ICS was released and we continued to wait.  Versions are "leaked", fake web site screen shots are distributed.  And we STILL wait. What are we waiting for?  Well, the bare minimum would be some word coming directly from Sprint, Google, or Samsung.  You know, some kind of status report, explaining what heck is going on.  Maybe even a timeline, like Verizon released today. Or... if Google/Samsung/Sprint have come to the decision NOT to release ICS to the Nexus S 4G, they should come out and say so, that way we can decide whether to make do with what we have or just go in another direction"

There is no contractual obligation for anyone to inform you of every move that a software update requires...google is working on releasing the nexus s update and we will get it when we get it. SPRINT and SAMSUNG know nothing more than this, please get this through your head. Verizon released a timeline (just like Sprint did when you were sold the nexus s 4g), it is a POSSIBLE timeline and there is a POSSIBILITY of delays in verizon rolling out the ICS updates. IF Verizon is to update their non-nexus android phones before the nexus s 4g gets its update, then by all means you can complain...HOWEVER, UNTIL verizon releases the ICS update to those phones, you have absolutely ZERO proof or validation that ICS is coming to any verizon phone before yours...

4) Root access can be added and then removed, it is not PERMANENT, so if you needed to get the phone replaced under warranty, you can REMOVE root access and turn it back to factory default as if it was never there to begin with. IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE AND IT DOES NOT TURN ON, then sprint will not be able to turn the phone on either and they will not be able to tell whether the phone had been rooted. this is mostly for your information.

5) I thought you had already purchased a different phone through retentions? Are you just trolling here or were you lying about getting a different phone then?

6) the nexus s 4g will not be abandoned as you suggest. it is google's flagship device and will receive the next iteration of android. That is a promise made by GOOGLE, not sprint. Look at the history of the nexus line, nexus one received the gingerbread update and was DELAYED for a few months, but it was still the first device other than nexus s to have gingerbread....

conclusion: until other phones that are non-nexus devices receive ICS update, no "timeframe" released from verizon or "speculation" that YOU YOURSELF are quoting will qualify as grounds for you to complain about getting a device!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

gm245 wrote:

1) the ICS update is not in Sprint's hands but GOOGLE'S as has been proven on this forum several times THUS your complaints are misdirected.

Proven HOW?  Just because YOU said so?

But putting all that aside, if you had paid a smidgen more attention, I said that Sprint needs to keep us informed, and so should Google, and Samsung.  SPRINT needs to keep us informed because they sold us the phone, and contrary to your assertations, they DO have a lot to do with this.  There are some Sprint-specific components to the phone.

You are incorrect about the rooting not voiding the warranty.  It does.  Perhaps you should actually check it out before you open your mouth on it.  I did, because you ALMOST had me talked into it.  But I wanted to make sure that if I did, that I wasn't going to screw up the warranty or my damage insurance that I pay Sprint.  It turns out that I would lose BOTH if I rooted the phone, because I am altering it from what Sprint had sold me -- even if it is temporary.

Again, you should probably read the fine print.  Or better yet, call them or go in and see them

As far as leaving Sprint?  I still have my Sprint phone but will soon be thinking about my corporate account as its' contract is up in a couple of months.

You still miss the point though.  We are looking for official information, not apologists like you to massage us.  Whether that information comes from Sprint, Google, or Samsung, it doesn't matter.  Just as long as we are told SOMETHING other than "soon".

Highlighted
Journeyman

[...]

this is a quote from Shane_M, sprint employee, on the other thread entitled "System OTA update thread" which you have been a part of for some time

"The Nexus S 4G receives it's update directly from Google. We provide the drivers for the CDMA chipset, but the software is done by Google"[...]

[...] Despite this, the drivers have [..]been sent to google by sprint which would explain the fact that a leaked SPRINT version of ICS even EXISTS in the first place. THUS, the update is STILL in google's hands [..].

Have you ever rooted a device? I assume the answer is no. [..]

you can remove root access from your device, [...]if you brought in a rooted phone to sprint it would void your warranty. [...] i have rooted my device and if I needed to get it replaced, i can easily remove root access before taking it to the sprint store, there is no way to tell the difference between a nexus s 4g device that has been rooted (and now root has been removed) or was never rooted to begin with. [...] I don't recommend anyone root their device if they are not confident [...]. yes you are altering the device and yes if you took the device in that altered state to the sprint store they would void your warranty. However, [...]you could remove root permissions and take it to the store and ask for a new one, they will not be able to prove that you once had root access to the device. [...]

[...]

as far as leaving sprint? No, i remember that you said you spoke with retentions and they offered to get you a new device. so my question stands: did you get the new device [...]

[...]there is no official information to begin with and it's not something that sprint can provide [..]. the information can only come from google, and the information is 'soon'. verizon's information is keeping its customers in the dark just as much as sprint...and please please reply to my other post regarding verizon's timetable that you are referring to. There is no timetable [...]? verizon did not provide a timetable at all, merely a list of devices which may get the ICS update anytime in 2012...

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Master

gm245

I've just heavily edited a post which was borderline trolling as well as condescending to another community member. This goes against the following Community Guidelines located here.

Help us keep the Community a positive place
If you see posts that violate any of the Community Guidelines or the “Do’s and Don’ts”, please report the post by clicking “report abuse” links.

Be nice.

Treat people the way you want to be treated. Be respectful of other people's opinions and feelings including the Sprint employees that post here.

Do not flame.

Flaming is the act of posting messages that are deliberately hostile or insulting.  If you’ve been flamed, don’t respond in kind use the Report abuse link to notify the Administrators.

If you continue this behavior, I will be forced to ban you. I will continue to watch your posts to ensure you are posting in good faith with the Sprint Online Community.

Please also consider this guideline:

Comply with all moderator instructions.

Designated Sprint moderators  and administrators may provide guidance or instruction.  We trust the admins and  moderators to keep the place tidy and you’re expected  to work with them when asked.

mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

mapesy thank u for editing the post and i will be less condescending from now on

but back to the FACTS:

1) ICS has not been released on ANY phone nor has any carrier released a definitive time line for roll out, especially not verizon as was incorrectly posted by djallynrules and others.

2) the nexus s 4g was only promised to get the ICS update first, a definitive timeline was never spelled out by google, samsung or sprint

3) sprint has released drivers to google and google is now responsible for releasing any information in regard to ICS update to nexus s 4g.

conclusion: until other devices on sprint or any other carrier receives the ICS OTA update, no one with a nexus s 4g should be complaining about not having ICS. YES it's terrible that we have to wait but it is not a breach of contract nor is it an EXCEPTION to the general rule. IN GENERAL, when android begins to roll out software updates, the nexus line has historically been first to get the updates AND this update has been DELAYED on the nexus line in the past, with little to no complaints from the nexus one user base. the nexus s 4g has been updated FIRST to 2.3 then FIRST to 2.3.3 then FIRST to 2.3.4, then FIRST to 2.3.5 then FIRST to 2.3.6 then FIRST to 2.3.7. it will now be FIRST to get 4.0.4 (minus the new galaxy nexus device). the fact that the nexus s 4g will be the first to get android ICS OTA has NOT yet been proven false.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat