cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

Journeyman

Re: Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

The NexusS 4g is'my second Android phone and I'm disapointed with the quality of the phone.  Now with the way Google is directing the upgrade it will be my last Android. 

Journeyman

Ok now I am really frustrated and tempted to move on to verizon. I bought the Nexus s 4g because I was supposed to get ICS ahead of other phones now I see it is being released to non nexus phones ahead of mine. What gives I also own the galaxy s2 epic 4g better phone but wanted the nexus so I would get early updates now I am not sure which will get it first. This is becoming a pattern of broken promises I have bought and paid the premium $10 monthly 4 sprint 4g phones 2 evo 4g, 1 nexus s 4g, and now a galaxy s2 4g, I also upgraded to a 4g hotspot now that Sprint is giving up on Wimax the promise of ever getting 4g in my area is down the tube so I have been giving them an xtra 30 monthly for nadda go figure. This is a shitty way to deal with longtime customers.

Journeyman

Journeyman

It is crazy my galaxy s2 will prob get it before my Nexus s 4g someone is dropping the ball and Sprint customers are paying weather it is google or Sprint this is not right.

Patron

Wow. The Galaxy S II is getting it before the Nexus S.  I was getting impatient for ICS on my NS4G, but this is just insulting.  I am not demanding ICS, I just want to hear something from Sprint, Samsung, or Google on the status.

Journeyman

I realize you have been banging the 'we'll still get it first, no other phones have it' drum pretty consistently but as you have probably seen HTC is rolling out ICS today and Samsung is rolling out to the GSII over the next few days. So is complaining officially sanctioned now that you have been wrong for the past month or so?

Journeyman

An over-the-air update will also be distributed, however the Kies option will obviously be the most immediate way to get your Android 4.0 fix. It's worth noting, as ever, that this refers to the international Galaxy S II model and US owners of the device may find themselves having to wait longer while their carrier validates the new software. [emphasis mine]

Before someone here jumps down your throat with some nastiness about not reading closely, this apparently doesn't apply to us here in the US.  Plus, it also seems to indicate that our carrier (in this case Sprint) DOES have a big hand in IF and WHEN we get our updates.  So much with that "coming from Google" meme.

Notice that Samsung hasn't mentioned Nexus S 4G?  Contrary to the sychophantic blatherings here, it still appears that those of us with Nexus S 4G phones will probably NOT be the first to be updated, and maybe not ever.  And really, why should they?  IF as someone above said, Sprint is holding out until they release Galaxy Nexus -- because they want to rope people into buying the newer phone on a two year contract -- then why in the world would they be eager to upgrade those of us with the older phones?

Again, it APPEARS that we have been lied to all along, and strung along.  It may not be the reality, but right now APPEARANCE makes a lot of the noise.

Journeyman

GM245

There is never a cause for you to be nasty or condescending.  But in answer to your response, NO, I haven't rooted my phone, nor do I intend to.  The reason is simple, and I will repeat it again.  To do so voids the warranty.

Now you may choose to be dishonest by modifying your phone and removing that modification if something goes wrong then trying to stick Sprint for your deliberate violation of the warranty, but most of us actually follow the rules.  It is called honor and integrity.  Sure, you might get away with it, and / or your duplicity might not be detected, but for those of us who believe in honor and integrity, WE WILL KNOW.

I don't want to get into a morals argument here, but if you needed a reason, then you have it.

It isn't that I COULDN'T do it -- I am an engineer and I work with radio equipment far more sophisticated than this, and I have probably forgotten more about electronics and software than you will ever know.  I have been doing this for the better part of forty years now.  So it isn't a technical issue with me, it is a moral one.

But you STILL fail to understand what it is that people are complaining about here.  It isn't the fact that we can't get ICS on our stupid phones -- you are living proof that we can, if we want to ignore warranties.  It is that we were sold a product that carried a promise of more later, and at the time we were sold that product we were promised that it would be a few days or weeks, and that our phones would be the first ones to get those updates.

You have a valid point that it hasn't been released to other phones yet, but remember PART of that promise was that it would only be a "week or so" or "soon".  Now, months later, there hasn't been an official notice from Sprint or Google as to the status of this update for our phones, and now we are finding that there are OTHER phones getting this update in advance of us.

Granted, the most recent news was for a Samsung phone in Germany, but if you read the notice from Samsung, it is ONLY talking about a NON-Nexus phone and that those of us here in the US would still have to wait for OUR CARRIER to "validate" it.

And contrary to your assertion, our phones DO have some Sprint-specific software in them.

Journeyman

Just got my OTA to ICS 10 minutes ago it is version 4.0.5

Journeyman

according to google, 4.0.5 isnt ready till march 15.  just hope youre not trying to get our hopes up.

Journeyman

Whoa! @jtdrnl, Where did you hear this from?

And @JKelley, I don't believe you for a second

Highlighted
Journeyman

JKELLEY12CFL wrote:

Just got my OTA to ICS 10 minutes ago it is version 4.0.5

Let's not feed this troll. This person has only 1 post, and this is it. I still believe we won't see ICS until Sprint releases the Galaxy Nexus. I don't like, I don't agree with it, but I've accepted it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat