cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

My husband and I both got the Nexus S last summer.

The deciding factor for me was the Sprint employee who assured me that as a pure Google phone, it would be the first phone to receive the new version of Android when it came out.

We are both extremely disappointed with how this update has been handled. Sprint and Google have both been silent. I won't be buying another Google phone.

Sprint, this isn't fair. You owe us answers.

123 REPLIES 123
Highlighted
Journeyman

yes but unlocking your device literally means allowing root access to your phone. i applaud badelf's efforts in using some common sense and elbow grease to get what he wants out of his device and encourage others to follow his example! It really isn't that difficult folks....root and unleash the true power of your ns4g

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks for the info badelf61 but I think everyone in this thread agrees that you can put ICS on the Nexus S 4G fairly easily and it works decently.  My frustration as well as many others here is that we would like an officially supported release, especially due to the marketing used by Sprint for this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My NS4G was having big time performance problems and was getting worse day to day. After a discussion with customer care, it was decided a factory reset was in order. I decided to install the leaked IMM26 (4.0.4) rom that badelf6 referenced to see what all the ICS hype was all about. It was very easy to install and I had no initial problems. I've since reverted back to Gingerbread due to my NS4G becoming extremely unstable and horrible battery life. Several of the APPS I used were not functioning properly and the phone would lock up quite a bit.

After returning to the stock 2.3.4 build, provided by the same person who has made the IMM26 build available, my NS4G has been rock solid. Bluetooth devices that did not work previously are now working, screen transitions are smooth and the battery life is back to the 12-14 hours I was getting before. After reverting back to GB, the phone automatically updated via OTA to 2.3.5 then 2.3.7. I let is run a couple of days before installing any APPS. I'm now back to where I started and so far, GB is working flawless. In fact, it appears to be better then before.

As always, everyone's experience will be different. I did inquire at several sources as to whether I would receive the official ICS OTA if running the leaked build and the consenses was, NO. Another factor in going back to GB. As for ICS, it was okay. Nothing earth shattering in my opinion. The new UI will take some getting use to. Being as I did not purchase my NS4G because of any pre-conceived ideas about ICS, I'm perfectly fine with GB. If ICS comes it comes. If not, I'm not going to loose any sleep.

Cheers ...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do agree with you I have 2 nexus s 4g phones. One I got as a gift and one I bought with the expectations that since it was a Google phone I (we all would) get the OS software updates before anyone else. This does not seem to be the case. The ICS update has been rolling out overseas for about a week now. In fact if you look on samsung's facebook page under the products tab the nexus s which they show is Asian language shows a picture of the nexus with ICS home screen. I know this because I have the latest version ICS 4.0.4 on my phone and it is the same home screen. I too want the official OTA update on my phone, but we have been being promised this update since last year. I do understand all the issues between sprint, Google and samsung, but the bottom line is the customer should always come first no matter what pain it takes to do so. I guess in a lot of ways we are all acting like spoiled little brats, it's coming, when, well your guess is as good as the next's, but I guess when it comes to stomping my feet I'm as bad as the next person who doesn't get my way.

Incidentally, ICS seems to be working just fine no battery lag, or major discharge or drain, the software seems to lack the luster of its predecessor but fast it is, changing screens and swyping through app's is lightening fast with no lag.My phone has not locked up once and trust me I have spent hours playing with it adding and installing and uninstalling app's and music and the such.  I just wish they would have spent a little more time on the icons like the battery indicator, time and wifi. they seem lame for such a long and tedious wait.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Due to connectivity issues with 3G (even with an Airvana femtocell), Wi Fi, and 4G, which are hardware issues (as the software update have shown no improvement), I'm not all that enthused about ICS.  HELLO Dan@sprint!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm soooo sick of this[...]!! can anyone explain why my nexus s STILL doesn't have ICS? I got this phone because I'm an APP developer and was promised it would be among the first to receive the update and thought it would be excellent to have a phone with the latest update for DEV testing, unfortunately I love Androids but there incompetence in ever updating their phones has turned me completely off and has had me looking into WINMO or iPhone. My suggestion would be A) stop making so many phones and focus on a select number, this will allow you to make those select phones more reliable and create a shorter list of re-writes to make the update work on different phones. B) Stop throwing so much extra shit on the phones, if everyone would settle for making their phone bare Android devices instead of adding their own stupid ui designs updates would flow much easier. Lastly stop doing them over the air its nice but takes much longer and waists your customers time.

I wish that I could receive a Google nexus or something for my wait since its held me back so much and I still don't have n ICS device that I can use for testing reasons. I feel as if I wasted my money on the device since 6 months later its still not performing as promised. so please if you can EXPLAIN what is so difficult about actually meeting your deadlines or at least give me a solid date to work with.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

OTA for Nexus S GSM variant getting ICS 4.0.4 now....http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1569116

I wonder when is our turn....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seriously, I am getting sick and tired of this. We waitied for 3 months for 4.0.3 and got nothing and now that 4.0.4 has been released it's daejavu all over. I think I am done with CDMA phones, I'm starting to check out some phones from T-Mobile or ATT (Galaxy SII probably), and it's not just me, 4 of my friends are doing the same...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, [..] Thanks Sprint, you got me this time. But, word of mouth will spread and all future "Google" phones on Sprint will get some serious backlash due to this. Only the core users will understand this though. The regular Joe that buys a new phone will have no idea what any of this means. Sprint knows that and put us in the bucket of "acceptable losses"

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not really, I am already spreading the knowledge to all my friends on Android devices on Sprint or Verizon. This is huge dissapointment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

good luck with that

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is like comedy relief on these threads, but everyone is saying the same thing over and over.  Be patient folks or jump to another carrier and or phone instead of talking about it over and over.  It will be the same old story except you will have a different phone or carrier.  There will always be something with each and every carrier and device. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat