cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus S 4g and ICS-where is it?

My husband and I both got the Nexus S last summer.

The deciding factor for me was the Sprint employee who assured me that as a pure Google phone, it would be the first phone to receive the new version of Android when it came out.

We are both extremely disappointed with how this update has been handled. Sprint and Google have both been silent. I won't be buying another Google phone.

Sprint, this isn't fair. You owe us answers.

123 REPLIES 123
Highlighted
Journeyman

I know my current phone will be getting updated soon, and I'm sure I will still have Sprint service when it comes. The Nexus S phone is a pure Google phone, and thats why it is so great. I'm very aware of who is blaming who with this whole situation and I intently keep track of every bit of info on this phone. This phone can be rooted and flashed, but thats not something I want to do. I've had personal issues with Sprint, and this whole OS update thing is really ticking me off. I want to voice my opinion on this phone, and then ultimately move on to a phone where I don't have to worry about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

MrObvious72 wrote:

Secondly, it is a pure google phone, so it's google's responsibility to let customers know what is going on, which they DID.

Google still has not made an official statement about what is wrong with ICS or why they pulled the update. The only thing we know is that an employee named Paul made this comment on the Google mobile forums on Dec. 19th. Nothing has been said since on the issue.

"If you received an update notification a little while ago but the update isn’t currently available f..."

Highlighted
Journeyman

MrObvious72 wrote:

Did you ever stop to think that the update wasn't possible yet? The Nexus S variant of ICS that was leaked a couple weeks ago still wasn't 100% stable, and had issues such as poor reception and battery life; if they released that version, people would be flooding the forums about bad reception or bad battery life. All you posters do is create a lose-lose situation for Sprint/Google.

Give them time to work everything out.

And what about android 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 or the working 4.0.4 leak for the Galaxy Nexus? These are all versions of ICS that seem to work fine. I find it hard to believe that Google, a company worth over 100 billion dollars doesn't have the resources to get a working version of ICS out in a timely manner for the NS and NS4G. Not to mention the fact that all companies involved have been silent for over 2 months now on what exactly the hold up is or when to expect a new rollout. Sprint needs to be lighting a fire under Google's ass, as the longer this farce goes on the more customers they will loose. I still do not know why Sprint and Google feel it is a good idea to ignore their users and paying customers for this long of a time?

Highlighted
Journeyman

sorry meant to post the following on this thread but it was posted elsewhere too...

wow you guys have been waiting a long time for ICS huh? I rooted my phone and have been enjoying ICS since october    Just root your phone and try out a few different roms (i recommend googling vhgomez)....for customers who are so tech savvy as to know about what 'ice cream sandwich' is and what a 'pure google experience' even means....they should be smart enough to easily root the phone. I was weary of doing it but decided to take the plunge and have absolutely no regrets. I will always always buy a Nexus phone in the future and I am absolutely satisfied with Sprint's service. The Nexus S 4g is, at its heart, a developer phone and that is precisely why it is so easy to root and flash different ROMs onto it. Furthermore it is extremely easy for developers to create new and improved ROMS for the NS4G WELL BEFORE THE OFFICIAL UPDATES ARE RELEASED OR EVEN ANNOUNCED. Honestly it's a piece of cake and will maybe take you a little while to go on Youtube and see QBKing77's videos with instructions and some time on the xda forums....I'm not a computer expert by any means and I was able to do it with just a little bit of common sense. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to "brick" a nexus s...if god forbid something does happen, just hold up on the volume button and press the power button to access the boot loader menu....anyway i don't have time to explain everything step by step but if anyone has any questions shoot me a private message. By the way ICS is AWESOME! I am now running the leaked OFFICIAL OTA update for the nexus s 4g and it is incredibly smooth (just like GB) and fully functional, face unlock feature has been working since november and I have zero GPS issues, zero 4g connectivity issues, zero lag, and now i even have backlight notifications enabled that light up when i have a text message or email.

Long story short: Don't EVER wait on Sprint to release updates and...i love my nexus s

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not to put down his hard work but you do realize that vhgomez36 does not even use his own rom because it is not stable enough?

"Originally Posted by Rally187 lol yea but not having G+ is no deal breaker i was just curious enough to try it out im having great results with lota r1 battery life is just awesome. What version do you run gomez? your stock 4.0.4?

vhgomez36 - Odex 4.0.4. I depend a lot on the phone therefore I can't take any risk on having it freeze or miss a call or email. I will look into g+, it shouldn't be fcing." [...]

All 4.0.3 roms have the Android OS battery drain bug. All 4.0.4 leak NS4G roms have GPS and radio issues along with the screen flash with the tv off animation. There is also a bug in all 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 with 2d exceleration on were the weather app fc's when you press the (i) icon. Along with another bug when the phone is plugged into the USB and you are on the slide to lock screen. Pull down the status bar, select USB connected. The screnn turns off. So no I don't want to use a buggy, battery drain, gps wrong, rom as I am sure most others here do not as well. What we all want is the real deal. A rom that actually works.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why were these posts deleted? Why are you still trying to hide what is going on instead of answering my questions? There was nothing in these posts that was your content to delete. markie_b stated that posts that had Sprint property (screenshots) were deleted because of that, but why are these deleted?

POST 1

"@markie_b "the opportune word here is leaked which means someone is putting  information out there before it is due and therefore Sprint has the  right to delete any information"

Just because it was leaked does not  make it any less true. There was a banner at the top of the page when  Sprint employees logged into Dara and ISC. It was there for two days at  least. Many different Sprint employees confirmed this as true. So  deleting the screenshot and links to this image just makes it look like  Sprint is trying to hide something. Which you are. Sprint messed up.  Plain and simple. Maybe you guys should admit this and try to give us  more information than just wait for ICS because we know nothing. We all  know you and every other Sprint employee know nothing. You guys should  work on changing that. Instead of hiding mistakes and staying silent on  what is going on with an update, you should be proactive in letting us  know every step of the process you are on in geting the update out. The  source has been available for 3 months now, that is more than enough  time to get the radios working. As I have said before we are all still  paying Sprint for these phones. We deserve to be treated better.    On a  side note you should realize the Nexus is a developer phone. You are  not dealing with your average Android phone users here. We will notice  every single mistake you make and come looking for answers every time.

@aysdojo Why would you think it was an internal release? How many  Sprint employees do you think still even own an NS4G? On top of that  there is no system in place for Sprint to only push updates to Sprint  employees. So how would they even accomplish an internal release?

@14knight So would you mind explaining why another post created by  mattsholtz23 that asked why Sprint is advertising the Nexus S 4g as "OS  updates as soon as humanly possible" were outright deleted and the  member banned? There was no "leaked" information in that post. It was a  simple question that was deleted instead of just being answered.    It  look like Sprints policy is to delete any post on here that makes them  look bad. Instead of being up front and admitting when they do things  wrong.    A screen shot has been taken as proof of this post."

POST 2

"I must assume that you have trouble reading, as all proof needed was inside of last post. You must realize that you are asking for proof of things that do not exist, i.e. a way for Sprint to roll out releases only to employees all the while excluding every other NS4G owner on their network. This is like asking someone to prove that Santa Clause does not exist. The proof he does not exist is that no one has ever proven that he does exist. The same goes for Sprints secret employee OS upgrade system that you somehow beleive in. Like I said before, it would have been heard of by now through employee leaks, considering that the OP is about Sprint internal leaks this is something Sprint has a problem with. Also of note is that the one internal rollout you cited from Google had leaked screenshots of ICS (I guess you would have had to of read the article though) hitting Google+ and Twitter within hours of the actual rollout to employees. Further illustrating my point. I would also like to point out that I have answered your questions twice now with you still never answering my one question to you. Why do you believe this was an internal rollout? Any other post by you will be ignored as I must assume you are trolling and are hijacking the thread, considering your last 2 posts have not had a single fact in them and were all opinion, and that you never answered my one question to you. Now back to the real questions I would like to see answers to. I am still waiting Markie_B and 14Knight."

A screenshot has been taken as proof of this post, as have all my other posts.

Highlighted
Master

nexusS4glies

It is our policy to reject, compative, troll posts. I am leaving this last one as proof of such along with my comment.

Mapesy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm pretty sure we'll see Ice Cream Sandwich, once Sprint rolls out the Galaxy Nexus, sometime in March/April.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How do you go back to stock in case you mess up. I plan on following QBKINGS on installing 4.04 without rooting. I have all the files and installed odin. My problem is i cannot seem to get into download mode. Everytime i hit volume up and down at the sametime and hit the power button i keep getting the boolloader unlock screen.

A gentlemen a few pages back said to run odin anyway and it would unlock it for me. Also another problem is when i plug my phone in i get a pop up saying its installing drivers however one driver doesnt install i keep getting an error message.

E

Highlighted
Journeyman

i rooted my wifes nexus s 4g and put the imm26 version of ics on it. battery life spiked and everything works on it. very stable and nice layout...  also it is true ics and not a previous version made to look like ics

Highlighted
Journeyman

mapesy wrote:

nexusS4glies

It is our policy to reject, compative, troll posts. I am leaving this last one as proof of such along with my comment.

Mapesy.

Please take a look at gm245's post.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am too. waking up everyday checking to see if an offical update was pushed. Atleast if i go with apple i know i will have update as soon as they relase it and all i would have to wait for is the jail break.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat