cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus S JB Battery Life - why the nose dive??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus S JB Battery Life - why the nose dive??

What happened to my battery life after the JB update??  A cursory scan across the Android community, include Google forums confirm this is a major problem. It's just not a "tad" worse, it's a significant issue.  What say you Sprint??  Any solutions out there??

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Nexus S JB Battery Life - why the nose dive??

Sprint has merely nothing to do with this. It`s a known bug from the OS itself, so it`s up to google to release an update for JB.

Solutions are, you just have to know where to look.

1.Don`t keep your phone with wifi/data on all the time

2.Put your phone in airplane mode if you don`t have network coverage and you aren`t expecting important calls/texts

3.Ultimately, ROOT your phone, install apps like Battery Calibration (after you install this, fully charge your phone, run the app - you`ll get around 8-10-15% of your battery back - worked for me). Or just install a custom version of JB.

4.Don`t keep a lot of apps running in the background, as those will affect your battery life.

Why do people ask for their wireless provider in these types of cases ? Is Sprint the one that released JB? NO. Ask Google !

Journeyman

As a Sprint customer, Sprint has a stake in the game regardless of who/where the issue originates.  Thanks for answering the question as a known bug. I am not surprised.  Android testing is typically a cost passed along to the customer anyway.

Journeyman

You are wright ... somehow... i`m an app developer... so I kinda know how these things works...Google rools out an update...They then push the update to our carriers... after a while of testing ( and modifying the OS so we can have their beautiful and full of crap apps ) the carriers will release the update to our phones. That`s why on my Nexus I have a modified version of JB... it`s heavily tweaked for performance AND battery life.

Journeyman

hamradioguy,

I am actually lasting 2 additional hours without rooting.

Usually, I will go from 8am - 6pm and have 15% battery remaining (using app called Battery Solo). After Jelly Bean update I changed settings on my Wi-Fi and now I can go until 8pm with 15% battery remaining.

Go to: Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced

Turn off "Network notification"

Choose "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" as "Only when plugged in"

Turn on "Avoid poor connections"

I am unsure if ICS had these setting under Advanced but I am using it now and they are helping me much. Give it a go and let us know (well, at least me).

Journeyman

I found a post recommending disabling exchange services in manage apps.  So I tried it... It worked for me and is apparently related to the root cause.  Battery life is back to ICS level now.  I'll deal with my email later.  I need my phone to work when I need it, not run out of gas by noon. 

Journeyman

I looked and I was using those setting before disabling exchange services.  Thanks for the feedback.

Journeyman

Screenshot of my battery life while spending the whole day at Disneyland on Saturday with some texting, facebooking on browser, uploading pics, using disneyland app and gps, use of weather and news app. I must say service in dland is spotty and weak, if big crowds hit the park service is useless.

Unplugged at 7:20am fully charged. Left wifi on and turned it off at 8:30am.

IMG_20120925_094930.jpg

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat