Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the Nexus S

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am up for renewal and I am considering buying the Nexus S.  I am curious with if I can still install the Sprint TV app on it.  I know that some people will call it bloat, but if I am paying for it I at least want the option of using it.  I am not completely sold on the Nexus because of the low res cameras, single core processor and the absence of an SD card slot.  Can anyone else suggest a different phone and why? 

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

I guess I can answer my own question.  I was in the Sprint store and they told me that you can stil install the Sprint TV app and use it on the Nexus S.  Also that vanilla android does not currently support HD video recording even though the camera can support it. 

Journeyman

Incorrect about the HD video recording.  Anything with Android 2.2 or higher (vanilla or not) can record 720P HD video.

Journeyman

Nexus S has lesser quality cameras and can not record HD like the EVO can.  See below:

Camera

• Camera:
      • Yes
    • Resolution:
      • 5 megapixels
    • Flash:
      • Yes (LED)
    • Features:
      • Auto focus
  • Video capture:
      • Yes
      • Resolution:
        • 720x480 (DVD) (30 fps)
    • Recording format:
      • MPEG4, H.263, H.264
  • Additional camera:
    • Yes (0.3 megapixels VGA)
  • Video Calling:
    • Yes

Multimedia

Journeyman

I know that with the current Android OS that the camera is limited to 720x480, but that seems to be a software limitation.  The original Nexus 1 was hacked so that it could record HD video.  The Nexus S is based on the Galaxy S series which can record in HD.  From what I have found Android 3.0 is the first version that natively supports HD video recording.  While other phones like the EVO can record HD using Android 2.2 they are are not running stock android.  I could be wrong, but that is what I am seeing on the android central  forums. 

Journeyman

I'm not too worried about recording in HD.  I'm one of the few people I guess that don't use their phone as their primary camera.  Yes, I do take lots of pics and some video with my phone out of convenience, but when I want high quality photos and video, I go to my digital camera/camcorder.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat