cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

i went downtown this morning for jury duty and much to my surprise my Nexus S was showing 4 full bars consistantly. this might have just been a lucky spot though since i've been other areas downtown and only got 2 bars but i'm still going to chalk this one up as a win. I ran a speed test and got pretty good results on 3G (no 4G here in Madison WI. hopefully soon? please?) about 1MB/s down and 200KB/s up. much better than the 122KB/s down i got when i ran it at home. at home i usually have 1 bar and sit just slightly better than -100dBm most of the time. i didn't think to check the signal rating when i was at full bars unfortunately. even though i only get 1 bar at home (sometimes none) i haven't had any problems sending/receiving SMS or phone calls. my biggest concern is mobile data speeds. when i'm at home WiFi is fine (mostly) but 3G speeds at 2 or fewer bars are a tad frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Zipcode - 33137

Build# - GRJ22

dBm - -96 dBm - 101 dBm, 0 asu for both. Sometimes the phone goes to roaming (with that strange delta symbol, Δ) when I am somewhere with perfectly strong 3G reception. Forget 4G, that has not worked for me since the purchase date and I am in a "excellent" 4G coverage area.

Baseband - D720SPRKD8

Edit: Also, using the Speedtest application I am getting a ping time of 813 ms, 13.1 kb/s download and 4.9 kb/s upload. Is this normal?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No thats not too good bud...

On a side note...

I have been having the signal issues as well. Real unfortunate indeed. I will probably stop by my Sprint store in the morning, yet -- I don't see it will resolve anything. Even as much of a response on Sprint's end would be nice. I will keep the Nexus S 4G, but after seeing how many others have this problem they will be required to fix it ASAP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

1)  92104   

2)  Build # GRJ22

3)  dBm Reading  -96 dBm   

4)  Baseband Version  D720SPRKD8

3G has been super slow here in San Diego, speedtests have been giving me 250kbps down and 20kpbs with around a 300ms ping.  Much slower than my EVO, running them side by side its easy to tell the NS4G has some issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Zip 75071

Build GRJ22

DBm -96

Baseband D720SPRKD8

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also experiencing the low signal/signal drop issues everyone else is with the Nexus S 4G.  I know its an issue as both my brother and his girlfriend have Sprint with Epic 4Gs and their signal levels at my house are much higher (yes, I'm aware the Epic 4G has more bars/etc. compared to the Nexus S 4G). 

Attached is the information.

Zip 06040
Build GRJ22
DBM -96
Baseband D720SPRKD8

Highlighted
Journeyman

Piekaj, can you get the dBm readings from their phones while its next to yours to compare?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anybody contacted Samsung about this issue?  If so, what did Samsung have to say?

I don't think Sprint is going to do anything unless Samsung says/agrees its a problem

-TL

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't get them easily, they were visiting this past weekend (when I first noticed the issue) and live a few hours away.  If they visit again soon I will update. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sitting here in Midtown Manhatten overlooking Madison Square Garden and I'm watching my signal bounce around from -101dBm to -76dBm, I even saw it hit -43dBm for a brief second, but for the most part its at -86 dBm

-TL

Highlighted
Journeyman

I contacted Samsung's support about the issue earlier today. I pointed them to this thread and a few others around the internet with a large volume of users experience the issue. The Samsung rep stated that they did not have any record of this being a known issue or something that they were working on, but he would pass it up the food chain. It doesn't look too promising. Sprint's final solution was to send me an Airave. That helps a lot with the wifi signal, and 3/4G when I'm away from home...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I wonder why Sprint, Samsung, and Google all three totally ignore this widespread problem.   It is plastered all over the Google support pages also.  Nobody has even replied that they are aware of the problem.  I feel sorry for those that are stuck with this device and can't use it as advertised.   How do they expect anyone to buy their products if nobody has faith that problems will be resolved.  I, for one, certainly would not ever buy a Samsung or a Google "experience" phone after this fiasco.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat