cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
GrandMaster

this could also be a huge reason for reception issues.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/66975?start=0&tstart=0

why bring out new phones with so many abilities if they are doing this?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Your link is broken fireguy_63

Highlighted
GrandMaster

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/66975

my bad

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just called Sprint customer service and got the standard "Power OFF, take the battery out and I'll re-set your signal". He also told me that a tower in my neighborhood went down last night and would be up again tonight. Too bad the signal issues have been a problem since I got the phone last week. It so sounds like a standard run-a-round response that all those reps probably employ. Still crappy signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well this is finally getting press coverage, so I'm giving it until the first week of June if I do not hear SOMETHING and am abandoning Sprint and the Nexus S. Apparently the Nexus S on T-Mobile has weaker then normal reception issues also, something to keep in mind if you're considering dealing with crappy reception for the next two years. I do not think this is Sprints issue to remedy, but they must repesent their customers in approaching Google and more then likely Samsung to get this resolved.

Highlighted
Wizard

It appears that a lot of folks aren't reading through the messages in this thread prior to responding.  I reported the folllowing in message 146, page 10:

This problem has been reported and we're gathering information to help  troubleshoot the issue.  Just wanted to make you aware that I'm  compiling the info from this thread and will forward it to our device  ops team for analysis. I will keep you posted on any new developments.  

Someone mentioned that Care hasn't received a high number of calls on this issue and therefore it's not designated by Sprint as a 'known issue'.  While there haven't been a high number of calls, that metric isn't how a 'known issue' is defined. In addition, this forum isn't an 'official' channel for reporting problems, but we do monitor it and use the info to determine if there's a potential problem with a device.

Problems that are reported are first defined as 'investigations'.  An investigation will often result in a variety of root causes not related to a device specific issue, for example: user education, network, or third party software, etc.  Once the root cause is identified, it will be reclassified as a 'known issue'.   

This particular problem is in the investigative stages and we will let you know more as the analysis progresses.   .  

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, so its under investigation.  But the clock is ticking and I have 25 days to either keep the phone or return it for a new one, or maybe return to Verizon. 

How long until we know what the investigation yields?  You don't need to be Barnaby Jones to know there's an issue.  Whether its a hardware or software issue is for you to find out, obviously.  But many of us don't have time to wait for a slow motion investigation.  We need answers now.  Should I take this phone back and get something that might actually work?

P.S. Apologies to the person in the Executive Offices who I promised I wouldn't comment on this issue while it was being dealt with, but my phone gets more and more useless by the minute and I need to know if Sprint or Samsung is going to make this right or if I should just cut my losses and move along.  This is far more frustrating than it should be. 

BTW, just turned off wi-fi at work, where I can SEE the 4G tower that is next to our building.  NO 4G reception,

Speedtest.net says ping 364 ms, download 268kbps, upload 211kbps.  Its been trying to  locate GPS for over 10 minutes.  I'm on the third floor of a 3 floor  building.  Never had a problem with the Blackberry.

When I turn on wi-fi, and stand next to the router, I get one bar of wi-fi, ping 62ms, download 5020kbps, upload 2378kbps.

This is NOT good.

Message was edited by: MARKEATTNET in great frustration.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How exactly is the correct way to report a problem?  Put yourself in our shoes and look at what we're dealing with here.

• Sprint forums = You basically said you'd relay the info to support, nothing concrete.  At no point did you mention "investigation". Proper clarification could have resolved this.
  • Calling Sprint support = If you've read the forum, we're all getting the same run around.  Do you deam this as acceptable customer support? Classify this as an investigation, relay this to your customer support staff, so that when people call, we don't waste you employee's time or mine.  Plain and simple.

What is the ETA on a typical investigation?

edit: spelling

Highlighted
Journeyman

^^^^^^^^^^ What corndoger said.  For a communications company, Sprint really can't seem to figure out how to communicate with customers, or even its own employees.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alright, so as an update, I talked to a Sprint Business support representative via telephone today for ~1.5 hrs. Suprisingly, he was very helpful, and really wanted to get this straightened out. Also, he said after speaking to his engineers that there was obviously something wrong with my phone. After telling him this was the second Nexus S 4G I've had, he also thinks it very well may be a large scale issue.

We did however have to go through every one of their set processes (pulling the battery, hard reset, update profile, etc). Tomorrow morning he should be giving me a call with a reason for the poor signal. The best thing we all can do is to call up and endure their procedures so they know they don't work -- and that ultimately the phone is flawed and we need a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

While I am happy that this is being investigated and passed on to the proper channels, I highly doubt I will wait past the first 30 days of my new contract for a resolution. I left VZW after my old contract was up specifically for this phone and the 3G data is pretty much useless to me. My last speed test was: 42 kbps download / 61 kbps up / 227 ms. ping - consistently on 0-1 bars in a very good 3G area (according to your coverage map). I'm on my second Nexus S phone as I initially assumed it was an isolated hardware issue but now I've definitely got my calendar marked.

Highlighted
Wizard

corndoger,

Calling into Care is probably the best way to report a problem.  The primary purpose of this forum is peer-to-peer interaction as it's not recognized as an official channel for customer support. Regardless, if I see a potential problem on these forums and I report it, you can expect more information when I have something concrete to provide.  I am a squeaky wheel. Sorry if that wasn't clear.   

My earlier statements are still valid...we're gathering information for troubleshooting and analyzing the problem.  On my last post, I elaborated on our internal terminology and classification of an investigation vs. a known issue.  I don't use these terms on the forum but felt it necessary when someone expressed a concern that this wasn't a 'known issue' for Sprint. The terminology just doesn't make sense unless there's a definition provided too. 

In plain English, we're aware there is a problem and we're investigating it. It is reported as an open investigation on our internal forums; when the analysis is complete, that will also be noted on the internal forums. Anyone responding to a customer about this problem has access to those forums and should be reading them. 

I don't have an ETA but will keep everyone here updated on any new information. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat