Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Journeyman

TC Support,

Here are the answers to your questions. 

• Is the issue around the number of bars that you are familiar with seeing?

This is not an issue of confusion.  I think most of us are aware that many devices have 6 bars and the Nexus S 4G has 4. 

• Is the issue related to drop calls such as inbound and outbound calling?
Personally I haven't noticed any issues with drop calls inbound or outbound.  Calling appears to work fine.

• Is the issue related to no data?

This is the main issue.  I used to have a touch pro 2 that had no data issues receiving 3G signal at my home and my office.  Now my Nexus S 4G constantly switches/drops between 1X and 3G and often looses data connections altogether at the same locations.  My 4G radio reception appears to be horrible and rarely connects. 

As a basis of comparison (and I know it has more physical bars on its meter), my brother has an Epic 4G on Sprint and he came to visit me a couple weekends ago.  In the same areas I was getting drops between 1X and 3G he had a consistent 3G signal and in some places even got 4G where my phone didn't. 

For your information, my zip code is 06040, and I live and work around Hartford, CT. 

Please continue to keep us posted, I know a number of us are frustrated with these issues and we want to know what is going on to possibly fix them. 

Journeyman

for once, sprint should at least either tell us by when the fixes are coming or at least let us know that they are working to address/fix the problem (press release or annoucement to the public). so that people can be patient and hold on to their Nexus S 4G. In my opinion, NS4G has been built and optimized for Gingerbread and they put a lot of effort into both hardware and software. . Although the hardware spec isn't as fancy as other devices' coming out recently, I really like the phone. It's very simple and easy to use, the OS is very smooth because there's not extra software written on top of Google's Gingerbread.

I would say:

1. Samsung should be responsible for this since Nexus S been out for ~6 months now.

2. Sprint also should take the heat for not testing the phone thoroughly before release.

3. Google definitely should have better customer service instead of acting like a start-up with a bunch of engineers and relying on forum to serve their customers.

Journeyman

The issue is about data and not being able to receive bluetooth contact transfers.

Journeyman

I just want to add my voice to this issue too since I also have a Nexus S 4G with a defective antenna.  I hope Google will fix this issue soon because I bought this phone just because Google's name was on this.  The people at Google should be ashamed for having their name on a product that doesn't meet or exceed the public's expectations.

Journeyman

Sprint just replied to me after my email to Dan Hesse. 

Positives:  The rep said that both and Sprint are aware of the issues, but they do not have a time frame for a fix.

Negatives:

1.  The rep did try to use some weasel words by saying that they understand that people have been having issues, but it isn't a full blown "recognized" issue yet.

2.  Of course, I got the standard, you have a 30 day return policy, and I replied that I didn't want to waste my upgrade on an older phone (EVO 4G, Epic etc).  The rep responded that if you have an older Sprint phone, you can have that reactivated for the time being until the issues are resolved or until a newer Sprint phone that you would want becomes available. 

For all of my Pre's faults, it could hold a signal with the best of them.

Journeyman

I just e-mailed CNET at dialedin@cnet.com to see if they might pick up on this story. I can't understand hiow iPhone's "Antennagate" made nat'l news 2 days after it was released and we can't get any media on this to get Sprint/Samsung/Google into action. I have about 20 days left to return this phone and as much as I love it, I'll have no choice unless a fix is announced.

Journeyman

This is really to bad.  I REALLY like this phone, but I can't deal with this signal issue much longer.  I'm going to have to return it.

Can you hear me now ?

Journeyman

The phone is great the issue i have ran into are

- Constant Data Drop. 1X to 3G

- Very Poor 4G Signal ( in areas where other devices pick up better speeds)

The phone as it was stated has only 4 Bars in Comparison to other phones that have 6... However the Data at this moment is horrible, i can use WIFI yea but i'm not always home.

90% Of the Stuff i use and probably most people requires DATA.. I dont wanna be in 1x all day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In the link below you'll see that Google is just now finding out about this issue.  I switched from my old faithful duct taped Palm Pre to the Nexus S. Sadly, my signal was better on the Pre even if 54.6% of everything didn't work.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=72cde4a29b9021c3&hl=en

Journeyman

no one reports this signal issue on phone review page. so more people are buying it now

Journeyman

Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S

Good call, I just submitted a review.  You have to go under "My devices" to do so.

Journeyman

Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S

your review is still not posted. How to post a new review? I could not find any link.

BTW, my wife has EVO and i ran a speed test side to side Evo and NS4G. Evo had download speed 4 times faster than NS4G.

Message was edited by: REDSQUARE13

Message was edited by: REDSQUARE13

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat