Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just  got off the phone with sprint tech support. They are aware of slow data and signal issues. They told me they are collecting data and working with samsung to bring us a OTA fix. Im also emailing the lady a link to this thread. She said she will foward it to both corporate and samsung. My advice is to call them and complain and make them aware of this thread and the other blogs. She did say all new phones have bugs on launch. So at least sprint seems to be aware of it. Im still debating returning this device on friday. My battery life sucks. I was at a full charge this morning and now im at 6% after moderate usage. Totally unacceptable for any phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

good to hear Fixxer. i don't know why everyone is so convinced Sprint doesn't care about this. when i asked my local Sprint store about it they said they were defeintely aware of it. and this store only had 3 people preorder the phone, me being one of them. i imagine Sprint have their hands full dealing with the Evo 3D launch, it being their new flagship phone and all. yeah it sucks for us but i can't really blame them. if the Evo 3D has problems like this it would be a devistating blow to Sprint. problems on any other phone are less important. this will be fixed. give it time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received a call from sprint a moment ago on this signal issue.  They told me that they have confirmed that it is not a Network Issue and are working with Samsung on the issue.  They will call me a week from today with an update, unless it is fixed before that.  They have kept in contact with me by email and phone for the last week, since I emailed this issue in to dan@sprint.com.  I feel confident that they are trying to help us get this resolved.  Now, with that being said, Samsung on the other hand has had terrible communication and did not know anything the last four times I spoke with them.  The service reps and techs they have need to find a new job.  I have not talked with Samsung in several days and do not intend to again.  I also do not plan on buying anymore of their products due to the very noticable amount of Knowledge that they DO NOT HAVE.  I hope they do not get the next Google phone contract.  Everyone be as patient as you can and let's hope this is handled in the next week or so.  I do love this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S

Have read this wcdma <-> cdma switching issue before and it makes perfect sense. Also read some other users have tried (using the program menu) to change the default option to "cdma only" but does not seem to stick. This is most certainly a software issue and can - must - be fixed via an OTA from Google or Samsung. The real quesion is when are they going to recognize the issue, and once they do, how long will it take for a fix to be pushed to the user base, if the fix is to come from Samsung, I would not be holding my breath for a quick one.

My personal bottom line, I will hold on to the phone until the trial period is up, if no fix has occured or anounced to be pushed shortly, I will return the phone and pick it up later if fixed and if I am still interested on it.

Journeyman

If I swap my current Nexus for a new one to see if I simply have a lemon, does the 30 days start counting again for the replacement phone, or does it run from the orignal purchase date?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This thread has over 340 posts now - Sprint, do you have an official response?  A date of fix or options regarding a fix is requested.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Believe me when I tell you, Samsung will NOT get this issue fixed within a week.  After huge amounts of investigation after the blog post I put up today (see my earlier post here for the link) I have every reason to believe Samsung is at fault here and Sprint is unable to fix the problem.  They want to, but Samsung is notorious for being slow with updates, they push off all software issues to Google, and they are launching other phones, so they are using their resources elsewhere. 

It seems that Samsung is the villian here, but that is the worst case scenerio for a fix coming anytime soon, and while they may push somthing out before all us us have to make a decision whether to keep the phone past the 30 days since we got it, whatever they push out will not be the final fix.  Samsung is screwing us.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

the evo is the same way though. shutting down things you dont need like 4G (unless youre in a 4G area) wifi (unless youre actually running it) data always on, dimming down the screen brightness brings your battery death ratio up a bit.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
GrandMaster

if you switched to a different phone all together yes. changing from one phone to the same type of phone-no. if that was possible most people would just keep doing that back to back so theyre not locking themselves into a phone or using their upgrade.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't have the NS4G so I don't know if this will help but I ALWAYS set my Sprint phones to 'Home Only' for both Voice and Data. In the past this has usually resulted in less 'searching' and more stable connections.  I am pretty much never in an area where roaming is needed anyways.  I'd be curious to see if people are using this option and if they made the change if this would improve the 'time without a signal' numbers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Intresting...

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=72cde4a29b9021c3&hl=en&start=80

knighthawk127

Level 1
4:16 PM

I too am having this issue. I have just received a call back from Samsung! They have offered me to ship my phone to them and they will ship me a new one. Apparently there is a new REV of the phone that contains potential hardware changes. The tech I was speaking with "John" confirmed that the new version of the phone should fix my issues. He is going to talk to product development to confirm that the changes in the new REV do address the signal strength issues EVERYONE is having. I will post back when I get my call back from Samsung.

Thank you for any advice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has there ever been an instance of hardware recall on a cellular or smartphone?  This sounds a lot more serious than just some OTA update...

pencil_3 wrote:

Intresting...

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=72cde4a29b9021c3&hl=en&start=80

knighthawk127

Level 1
4:16 PM

I too am having this issue. I have just received a call back from Samsung! They have offered me to ship my phone to them and they will ship me a new one. Apparently there is a new REV of the phone that contains potential hardware changes. The tech I was speaking with "John" confirmed that the new version of the phone should fix my issues. He is going to talk to product development to confirm that the changes in the new REV do address the signal strength issues EVERYONE is having. I will post back when I get my call back from Samsung.

Thank you for any advice.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat