Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S

Thanks successean that worked perfect!  I'm now connected faster on both 3g and 4g. 

4G before = 1.857mbps

4G after = 4.388mbps

Just saved Sprint an account for sure!

*******EDIT******   DO NOT apply this fix, you will no longer be able to receive calls or txts. Can not send txts either.

Highlighted
Journeyman

im a developer at xda. download the app called network on the market. run it and under radio setting you can clearly see this phone is running on a gsm radio band called wcdma. it should be on cdma auto prl for the sprint network. the radio samsung wrote programs the phone. i believe a new radio will fix our issues. i also reported this too google.

i just did the 3g fix and while it's a temp fix/work around the only perm fix will be an OTA update. the reason for the bad battery life is becuase the phone is constantly pulling for gsm towers instead of looking for sprint towers. this is why when your in roam you get bad battery life as well. currently this phone is basically always in a roaming type of radio mode.

after this temp fix i can still confirm the radio is running on wcdma. sprint told me yesterday they are very aware of this issue so keep calling tech support people. i also linked sprint corp to this thread.

also in case you owners have noticed this phone never charges our batteries to 100%, it stops at 92-95%. this is a bug with android 2.3.4 for this phone. i have heard google is working on a fix for it with 2.3.5. i was going to return my nexus tomorrow but since there are no others phones out that i want i may try to hold onto it. maybe even look into an extended battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

ive also spoke to several other people and not everyones nexus is having these issues. seems the people who bought it on the launch date are. it is very possible that samsung has released a 2nd updated version of this phone. it's not uncommon as the same thing happened with the evo 4g. we need to start comparing version numbers/revisions of our phones and such to make sure the orginal nexus owners are not getting screwed here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where does one look on one's phone to determine whether it is a Rev 1, Rev 2 or Rev 3?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@knighthawk127 - At this time, there is no hardware revision planned for Nexus S 4G available on Sprint. The person who you spoke to on the phone was given incorrect information.

-Ry Guy

That was from a google employee.  End of that story, move on.

To throw my bone in the hat on the "fix".  I'm not noticing anything different myself.  I'm not in a huge 4g area.  Just pre-4g support lite.  And I work in a large building that doesn't seem to have good signal normally.  Nothing different then my pre had.  I will have to wait when I get home.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't have the phone so I can't check myself.  I'm assuming setthing the phone to 'Home Only' in the roaming section does not prevent the device trying to connect to GSM/WCDMA signals?  I just don't see how this could have eluded the field testers.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

No it does not prevent it. I have my phone set to home only. If I open the dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#* I can see that it bounces between 'unknown' and 'wcdma preferred' under phone information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also recv confirmation from my samsung contact @samsungjohn who said the exact same thing.  Literally

"At this time, there is no hardware revision planned for Nexus S 4G available on Sprint."

"The person who he spoke to on the phone was given incorrect information"

funny how similar those responses were, he sent that to me 3hrs ago

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting.  Even when I set it to something else like "CDMA Only" or "CDMA Auto PRL" it will reset back to WCDMA on its own.

Is this the culprit?

How about for the 4G and wifi issues?  I'm assuming those would each have their own separate glitches....?

JAMOS60 wrote:

No it does not prevent it. I have my phone set to home only. If I open the dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#* I can see that it bounces between 'unknown' and 'wcdma preferred' under phone information.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since there is still no acknowledgment of a fix from the companies i will probably return my nexus tomorrow. If this is hardware related were not gonna see a fix at all. They will just make a second revision phone. This is just horrible customer and tech support. This is suppose to be a nexus line, were suppose to get all the fixes and updates first and foremost. The battery life because of the faulty signal trumps the evo at launch. Samsung should be ashamed, google as well!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes thats the culprit. Were on a gsm band on a cdma network. They couldnt of tested this phone very well before launch.

Journeyman

Isn't it more likely that because the original version was GSM/WCDMA that the phone is incorrectly reporting the bands, rather than acutally looking for a WCDMA signal?  It's hard to imagine that Samsung built in a radio that can't be used for any purpose (i.e., the WCDMA/GSm radio.) Especially in light of the fact there is not space in the phone for a SIM card (too bad in one sense, would have been nice if it was dual mode CDMA/GSM-WCDMA for international travel roaming purposes.)

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat