cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

I think you are very smart to realize that keeping something that does not work for you with the hopes that someone may correct the problem is not a smart idea.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What makes you believe what the tech told you. I drove 45 miles to a Sprint repair center. The tech told me he had just recieved an update for the phone and applied it. I ran a speedtest in the store and the results were worst.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would like to have faith and stick it out but that would be plain stupid.   The only way things will ever get done is if they start seeing a lot of returns.  Which they will starting the first week of June. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just talked to someone in reponse to my email to Dan. I am waiting to receive a return kit. I will try the epic untill 30 days and may go back to samsung reclaim with talk only. That was all they could do for me, exchange.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the epic isn't much better as i owned one. maybe we should just boycott samsung to get the point across to them. i agree mass returns of this phone will wake them up. this whole thing is just unacceptable on soo many levels. google should be ashamed they used samsung for the nexus line.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Going for the epic for the keyboard.

Highlighted
Journeyman

BTW, thanks for your effort. How do I find the hardware version?

Highlighted
Journeyman
Highlighted
Journeyman

Almost forgot. A little humor.

Called in 2 nights ago and asked to talk to a tech about the fact the it keep showing "unknown" for preferred network. He had no answer for me. Then I told him my signal strength was -96dBm. He then tells me that -96dBm is a "good signal". If thats good what's bad? I laughed at him. Again no answer. This was a 2nd level tech.

Highlighted
Journeyman

so one tech says he has been made aware of the situation and a fix is in the works. another tech says he is not aware. and everyone is assuming the first guy is lying? that doesn't make any sense to me. isn't it entirely possible that one guy got some information before someone else? when i asked about this at my Sprint store they told me they knew all about it, that it was a software bug and to just be patient and wait for an update. just because your store is full of idiots doesn't mean everyone's is.

if you guys honestly think a "mass return" is going to actually do anything you're delusional. unless a huge percentage of the people who bought one to return their phone, nothing will happen. if 30 cranky people from the forum return it nobody is going to care. sorry but I can't say I'm shocked that one guy making a YouTube video didn't have these companies racing to fix the problem because their public image was just so damaged by some guy whining on YouTube. i could be wrong but i really don't think Samsung has as much to do with this as everyone thinks. Google does the software for this phone. Google will be the one to patch it. if things aren't solved by the next Android update then i will think Samsung has more to do with it.

and if you do return it what are you going to swap it for? a 9 month old Epic? a year old Evo? sorry but i'm not shooting myself in the foot and locking myself into old hardware for the next two years. i don't know about the rest of you but i'd rather suffer through a couple months of subpar reception now than be stuck using a first generation Evo in May 2013. even if the Evo 3D was available tomorrow i'm not putting up with that stupid Sense UI. especially with a locked bootloader and no ability to install a stock ROM or CM7.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone had any luck with a replacement Nexus S?  I was thinking of getting a new one, but I don't want to roll the dice or waste my time if the issues are the same.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have had my replacement about a week. Charges battery faster and phone reception seems A LITTLE better but data connections and speeds are still unstable and very slow when available. Another problem that I am still having is that 4G (not matter whether poor or mediums strength connection) drops as soon as I active the wireless hotspot and then I cannot get a data connection until i restart the phone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat