cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow just wow....   not only do we have to put up with this phone and its MAJOR issues but we get the page filling side show from Fixxer and SPL.  Please for the love of christ would you two STFU?

I'm normally a laid back guy that doesnt say much but between this phone and you two bickering back and forth its just too much.  I understand you both are trying to help, that I can appreciate that fact although its not doing anyone any good to see you two going at it every other post!!!!

lets focus on what this thread is about and keep the pissing match to PM or other forum or better yet, go meet out back and settle this.

Anyhow back to the phone..   I applied the fix mentioned earlier in this thread and noticed 2 days later that I haven't received any calls or texts.  I've switched back to the original settings with SNAILS pace speeds but at least I can receive calls/txts now.   Hope they figure this out or I'll be one more on the "Return" bandwagon.  I've only been with Sprint 1 week and this is simply amazing to say the least.  I'm on the fence about cancelling the service and going back to ATT (Left because of the prices and data cap)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just in case no one read this, as I still see posts showing that some of you are still not sure who's issue this is.  Hope this helps.

POST 338

I received a call from sprint a moment ago on this signal issue.  They told me that they have confirmed that it is not a Network Issue and are working with Samsung on the issue.  They will call me a week from today with an update, unless it is fixed before that.  They have kept in contact with me by email and phone for the last week, since I emailed this issue in to

dan@sprint.com

.  I feel confident that they are trying to help us get this resolved.  Now, with that being said, Samsung on the other hand has had terrible communication and did not know anything the last four times I spoke with them.  The service reps and techs they have need to find a new job.  I have not talked with Samsung in several days and do not intend to again.  I also do not plan on buying anymore of their products due to the very noticable amount of Knowledge that they DO NOT HAVE.  I hope they do not get the next Google phone contract.  Everyone be as patient as you can and let's hope this is handled in the next week or so.  I do love this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone had better luck with a replacement unit?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got a replacement unit, making sure it was from a different batch, and it was just as bad as the first unit.

Now using an EVO, I gave up on the Nexus S 4G.  This is a SAMSUNG issue, and a major one at that.  All signs point to no easy fix and an uncaring hardware maker.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the response.  That's definitely disappointing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went back to the Sprint store 3 days ago for the battery issue (lasts 8hrs but takes 6hrs to charge on wall outlet),  which that part is ok now but still have signal issues.

I decided lastnight that I'll stick it out until my 30 days is up (3 weeks from now), with this many people up in arms about it...  this isn't going to fade away un-noticed.

I received a voicemail from Dan on Friday and will talk to him in the morning about what the latest developments are. Great to know we have someone on our side though!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I have made a short video that might shed some light on the connectivity issues with the phone, aka the "Nexus S No G". Just a speed test and the network status. But being that I am on the 25th floor of an apartment building with clear line-of-sight to the Sprint towers.....not sure how I can have such poor quality. I have even spoken with others in the building that have Sprint and they rave about how great it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo6rT44ykR8

And to compound things, my Airave arrived on Friday and has refused to "Activate on the System", but I am being told to wait and be patient. Should I have to wait and be patient for both a phone AND the device intended to actually make the phone usable to work? My 30 days will be up on June 8th.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That is strange that you have no 4g mac address, I though that was suposed to be part of the phone, not somthing that the tower supplies to you. Plus you say that you have sprint towers around you, Did you check on clearwires site to see if you had 4g towers around you?

http://www.clearwire.com/

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/31199-4g-mac-address.html

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nexus s 4g speeds.jpg

I just wanted to show this so that people know that the radio in this device is capable of these speeds. I live very close to a 4g tower, this is with 2 bars of 4g. However, around town it is spotty and I mostly see 2-3 bars of cell reception. I tried to take a video but it came out like s***.

Highlighted
Journeyman

guess my reception is worse than I thought. I live about a half mile from a tower and have no 4 g.  I guess Ill try to switch it out tomorrow. If that doesn't work I guess Ill be trying an evo. Shame though, I really like the phone but it just doesn't work for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It seems like a lot of people are having this issue but I'll still describe my experiences:

• Is the issue around the number of bars that you are familiar with seeing? Yes. Typically in my area I experience full bars of service with any other Sprint device that I have used or others that I know have used. Currently with the NS4G I get an average of 2 bars probably about 90% of the time. But while remaining in the same area, the amount of bars can vary greatly.
  • Is the issue related to drop calls such as inbound and outbound calling? Yes. Inside a house I usually get decent call quality, while driving or inside/near larger buildings I get terrible call reception. I often miss calls or have them dropped.
  • Is the issue related to no data? Again, yes. The worst experience was when I was on a train with a group of friends recently. Everyone was using their phones with no issues. Only one of my friends had another Sprint Android device but he wasn't having any problems with data.

Overall, I get terrible reception. If I was at home all the time it wouldn't be a big deal but I am rarely home, but between work and the suburban area I'm in I've never had signal issues until using the NS4G. My brother has a HTC EVO 4G and while being in the same area he has significantly better coverage than I do. I love the device but its becoming more and more difficult to use it everyday. I'm going to try and swap it for another NS4G in hopes that its just my device because from what I have read not everyone with a NS4G has been having these issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

^^^^i tried swapping me and my wifes 2 NS4g and for another 2 NS4g and still same results/ its really weird when I get the grey bars as well/ as for 4g I can't even get 1 signal LOL

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat