cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

So has anyone gotten an update about when a fix might be available for this phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Id like to know when Sprint is going to pass this information about this widespread problem to the stores, so that we'll stop getting a run around about it with employees that don't know of any issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

you guys will have to face the facts that a fix will not be out before most of our 30 days is up. so your choice is to wait it out or exchange for another phone. another temp fix is to go under wireless settings and set it at home only, not automatic. i decided to wait it out becuase i like the nexus and there is no other current phone i want.  if it does get to the point where i see no fix ill either drop sprint or worse comes to worse sell the nexus for full retail and buy a cheap evo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you have an old Sprint phone or want to buy one off of Ebay for $20-$30, another option is to go back to the stone ages for 1 month until they figure this out, or newer phones have visibility.  Tough choices.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From reading forums and the latest online reviews, I understand that Sprint, Samsung and Google are aware of the signal issue and are working on a new software release. (The batttery drain is directly related to the weak signal.)

Like you, I'm having one-two bars from my home. At my doctor's office this morning, the Nexus started roaming for a signal. Luckily I still have my 4G Epic, which consistently delivered strong signal strength and 4G speeds. In fact, for some unknown reason, the battery lasted longer if I kept it in 4G during the day and turned off data before going to bed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having nearly the same issues. Poor phone reception, virtually non-existent 4G service even in known 4G areas (downtown DC), and poor up and download speeds even with 4G. Have done side-by-side comparisons with my wife's EVO, and she consistently downloads at speeds nearly 3x as fast (10+ vs. 3). She also has far better phone reception and rarely misses or drops a call, while I'm constantly doing the downtown dance trying to maintain a call. Very irritating, especially because the design and software have so much potential. Praying they get this sorted out in the next two weeks or it goes back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

well ive decided today that im putting mine up for sale on craigslist  for full asking price and im going to go buy a new evo. this will be the  last samsung i buy.

i was going to hold onto it and wait for the signal fix but once again  today i went 90% of the time without a signal and my phone died in 7  hours at work. i need something that will last.

i wish you all luck!

so whos keeping it and whos not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Until I see a message posted by a Sprint employee stating that they (Sprint) acknowledge there is a problem and that they are working with Samsung and/or Google to resolve the problem I have to take your well meaning message with a grain of salt.

-TL

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint tech support just tweaked my connectivity a bit and I've been running 4G from my Townhouse for 15 minutes.

The Nexus 4G's firmware and software work differently than the Epic 4G and the HTC Evo. To extend battery life and multi-task, the Nexus signal strength meter will appear to do strange things, like drop to 0 bars, then jump to 2, etc. I was able to launch and download data from multiple sites by letting the Android OS control memory swap on its own.

On the data side, try launching multiple programs. When you're through with one, press the home key and move on to another program. Don't hit the back key to return to the home screen. Only use the back key to move back one screen when browsing.

If you're having voice call drops, that's another story. Call Sprint tech support.

Highlighted
Journeyman

See my comment later on about calling Sprint to re-set the device, then disregard the bars and download speed measurements. Just move from app-to-app and the browser. When through, touch the home key. Let Android OS control memory swap.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Had a day off today, so I paid the Best Buy where I purchased my NS4G and also my local Sprint store a visit.  The person I spoke to at Best Buy had no new knowledge whatsoever, and seemed a bit challenged even understanding what I was trying to tell him about the known radio issues.  In between mumbling incoherently into his navel and thumbing through everything on my phone (personal privacy anyone?), he did say that "Sprint is upgrading their Wimax towers in the area (Chicago suburbs)".  Nevermind that Clearwire owns the towers.  He had no knowledge of which towers or when they'd be done.  I asked whether they would extend my 30 day return period and he said they don't have the power to do that.  From this visit, I took away that my best option should no news come from Sprint/Samsung/Google before my 30 days are up is to return the phone.

Next up, the Sprint store, where I probably torpedoed a sale.  Someone was asking the sales person about the NS4G and was playing with a demo unit.  The rep said that he had the same phone himself, and that he knew that some people were having problems, but he wasn't seeing any of the problems except he was unable to update his own PRL.  On cue, I said, "Oh, but I am."  And then we got into it.  But the bottom line is that the Sprint rep was only aware of the published list of "known issues", none of which involve the radio issues some of us are seeing.  He also divulged that even though he's an employee of Sprint, Sprint charged him the activation fee (wouldn't let him get out of it).

Overall, I learned little, but felt glad I tried.  My plan, if no news is forthcoming from Samsung/Sprint/Google, will be to return the phone.  Actually phones plural, as my wife and I both have this phone and are both having the exact same issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, does Sprint still care?  Where are they on this thread?

Is it possible to fix this issue with a software update or is this a hardware issue?  I still have a week or two before my 30 days are up on being able to return my phone, and I would like to know the status.

Thanks.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat