cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

I spoke with Vortiorian ( a rep working with Dan @ Sprint) about the problems we are all having. They are noted and there is a list of names they are compiling, send an email to danATsprint.com to let them know you'd like to be added and updated when news comes out.

I was told they are working with Samsung on the problem, both parties are aware of the problem but no official fix has been deployed. I'm in the same boat with the 30 day ordeal so I requested an extension be added to my account... basicly if there is no fix at the end of my 30 days I'll need to ditch sprint and go back to att or pick up an evo.  I'd like to wait until the evo 3d comes out, thats where the extension would help a ton.

I was told there can not be any extension but they would call me 3 days before the end of my 30 days is up and discuss options. I made it very clear that I would be leaving sprint if there is no fix for the nexus or an extension to wait for the 3d.

Wait and see I guess...  they are aware of it though (both Sprint AND samsung)

Highlighted
Journeyman

@S_Glide - Did they specify anything about the nature of the fix or even what they understand the problem to be? At this point, we have no information from any of the vendors as to what they think the issue is, much less a potential solution. The email replies I've seen sent from Dan@sprint.com and the replies from Sprint's support reps all seem to indicate that they think its only an issue with the way the signal bars are displayed (despite all the posts and comparisons that have exact signal strength data specified in dBm). I'm going to be extremely ticked if they say that a fix is on the way and when its delivered it doesn't actually fix anything other than change the number of bars that are displayed at a given signal strength. Based on my past experience with Sprint, I'm kind of expecting that from them at this point and its up to them to communicate and prove otherwise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm just adding myself to the list since I have 2 of these phones with the same problems on both.

It seems like all the radios are affected (including Wifi).  I find that the Nexus gets only HALF the throughput of my old Epic when they are connected to the same wireless-N router.  The nexus also drops the connection completely while the Epic holds a strong signal all over the house.  3G/4G (and maybe voice, though I can't really prove that one) are all the same story. 

It's a shame because this phone is such a pleasure to use when it has the connectivity that it needs.  Please help us out Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been quiet here since my original post weeks ago, but I won't consider keeping this phone without an acknowledgement of the problem. The only way I won't be returning this within my 30 days is if they extend the return period.

I suppose many of you (like me) bought the phone on launch day or soon-after. I propose that rather than complaining here, we organize a mass return-day on Sunday, June 5th. Exactly 28 days after launch. But let's be reasonable here.. They're not likely to fix the problem by then. So the proper resolution for Sprint to extend the 30 day period to an estimated fix date, in which case I keep my phone wait patiently.

On June 3rd, call Sprint customer-service (remember that the stores and c-s aren't as in-touch as you would expect). Tell them you're going to return the phone and cancel your contract and why. Then on the 5th if there is no resolution, go do it.

I will be doing the above. I encourage others to do the same and spread the word.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay, so I'm getting my oil changed at the Toyota dealer and decided to use the Internet Access Room but I couldn't connect to the Wifi with my netbook so I decided to use the Wifi Hotspot on my work Nexus S.  I've got four bars and wouldn't you know it I am connected and streaming Pandora and using Google Docs and reading and replying to this thread.  I'm right near an intersection of two major roads (Rtes 1 and 202 in Glen Mills PA) and Sprint's map shows this as a dark green Best Coverage area but it shows my home address as the same and I barely get signal there and drop calls all the time.

I'm not one of the people on this thread that are having Wifi issues and I often do get more than one bar of signal strength while traveling and I have a Sprint/Nextel repeater at work.  I don't have battery issues but I don't expect the phone to last longer than a day and most days I'm at work where signal is good.

So again, either Sprint's coverage map is all unicorns and rainbows and there are really as many holes as swiss cheese or this phone just doesn't like certain towers. 

So why is it working?  I'm not saying others aren't having problems, believe me and please don't flame me for it.  I'm just having inconsistant issues and asking questions.  Maybe there's a tower on the roof.  I'll go out and look.  I've got another Sprint phone next to me a Sanyo Taho that is showing all bars and my AT&T Focus is showing a paltry two bars. 

Yeah, I've got three phones with me.  Wasn't there just something in the news about studies showing that cell phones are giving us cancer again?  Whatever.

I love the phone - when it works.  I need it to work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

the signal issues have nothing to do with the sprint network, it's the faulty radio on the phone as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread. face it guys we cannot blame sprint for this, this is samsungs fault for releasing a faulty phone. i see alot of you will be returning the phones and leaving sprint. that will teach them nothing  and it will be more $$ out of your pockets. do what im doing, sell the phone for $400 and get an evo online for maybe $250 and you made a profit. the bottom line is after all of these complaints nothing is currently being done about this as most people at sprint still fail to acknowledge it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@FIXXXER1022 and SPLMONSTER

This is your last chance!, if you two start this up again you will both be ban from this form.

SPLMONSTER, You have been folowing him from form to form, so I took the time to talk to some people. You will be ban from not just this form. People are sick of you responding EVERY time FIXXER makes a comment on any post. I may not always agree with what he has to say, but ALL you have to say is to show up on MUTIPLE forms and harass him. STOP IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Highlighted
Journeyman

just wondering. how do you, asduffy, have any say in their banishment from any forum? you don't appear to be a Sprint mod and you only have 8 posts. if you do have the power, that's fantastic. I'd love to see both these children gone. the point of this entire discussion is to raise awareness of the issue to the necessary parties and their bickering has done nothing but hinder our progress and damage the entire discussion's credibility. I'm tired of it.

Fixxer: how do you figure selling the Nexus S for $400 (which you paid $200 for initially) and buying an old Evo for $250 turns you a profit? by my math you're still $50 in the hole and locked into a contract with the Evo without an upgrade until roughly 2 years from now, provided you signed on as a new customer like I did. that doesn't seem like such a hot deal to me. if you are an existing customer and used your upgrade on the Nexus S 4G just take the phone back and keep your upgrade for something else like the Evo 3D. I signed on as a new customer and AT&T already sent me my termination bill. despite the Nexus S 4G's obvious flaws its still the best phone on Sprint for the time being and for someone in my situation, the best course of action, as far as I can tell, would be to simply wait for a fix which is definitely coming (when it is coming is a different story entirely) i only have until the 5th before my 30 day period is up so I don't expect any better alternatives to arrive by then. I'm keeping the Nexus and waiting for a solution as I don't see any better courses of action.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well my record at Android Central shows i'm a contributing member. XDA same thing..I have never had any issues at any of those places. AC kept the forums clean over there by getting rid of the issue. That was banning "Fixxxer".. So asduffy you can huff and puff all you want, but this guy has been a cancer in each place. I'm also not following the guy around, i'm a regular member at these forums and post to them daily. When you constantly see this guy making posts, and derailing other topics with his negativity it gets a bit bad. Just read his posts at XDA, i'm not the only guy getting on his case. The entire forum is... AC same thing, and something got done there for it. Kojo I apoligize, but I have posted multiple posts with information and given what my sources have told me about the issue. It is being looked into and taken care of. I have had this confirmed by from Sprint, by emailing Dan Hesse's office, emailed Samsung and another discussion I have had personally with Ry Guy from Google. It's either be patient, or move to the next device. Not one of these companies is making you stay with this device.

To add "asduffy" in earlier posts you wrote you were new to Android and were a iPhone owner before? Okay you are also not a member in any of the other forums, at least under that name and by judging your new to Android. So how do you have any significance? You also asked for Fixxxer to help with certain things? Again don't threaten me with garbage. Since your history here shows your new. Your Youtube video you posted also clearly shows that, since nothing on your channel is Android related. Personally if I were you just drop it. I'm well over this...

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Kojo87, like most forms, there is a 'report abuse', only taks a couple of people and your gone. BTW this is all anonymous and you never really know who someone is, don't make asumsions either way. It's not that I have any power. It's all of us that can just say, I have had enough, report it, and get back on topic. They both seem passionat and SPL dose know quite a bit, and I tend to agree with his post when they are on topic. Just sick of the back and forth. Get a bedroom for christ sake. LOL

Back to the phone, so I live next to a 4g tower in seattle, went out the last couple of days and found that my conection to mutiple towers is vastly different. At home I can get great download speed on 4g, I go anywere else in the city and it is 1/4, and that is even if I can connect. Strange that I can connect to one Clearwire tower and get great downloade and others are terible. I also agree that they are working on it as far as I can tell and I think that a good, calm and to the point discusion on this and other forms is a healthy way for them to realiz tha it is not just a couple of phones but many of them. This gives them the motivation to sprint/google/samsung to put resorces into a fix, I am staying calm and trying to understand as much as I can and try and give both good and bad feedback about the phone. In this area I do agree with SPLMONSTER opinion entirly. I think they are woring on it, but it will take time and it is a gamble for those you want to risk going over the 30 day period. If it scars you, return the phone ant get somthing else for a while.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@SLWMONSTER, can't you just ignore him? and yes I am new to Android, trying to get used to this phone and the SDK, eclips and every other learning curve that comes with it. I just think your time would better serve us if you forgot the guy and stayed on topic, and I am not the first guy to respond to you this way. Not trying to upset you, like I said when you are on topic you are a very knowagable person and I apprecieat you input. But just let the drama go. LOL. and Yes I am a AC member and a google member. I also contract for google and others. (disclaimer, not that I am smart or knolagle as you or many others, like i said, learning curvs suck, LOL) . The video was my atemp at showing that with decent 4g the radio hardware seemed to be able of high data speeds. I felt that many people were of the thought that the radio was just defective and totaly uncapable of reaching those speeds, so I tried to make a video, albite and rather crappy one, LOL. Just, please can we let go of all the back and forth crap. PLEASE. It's embarasing to have to have the people that be read through all that.

Cheers

Highlighted
Wizard

SPLMONSTER and FIXXXER1022  - personal attacks, name calling, etc. are not allowed on this forum.  Several of your messages are in the process of being removed as requested by several others on this thread.  Keep your posts on topic and civil, please.

Thanks,

Desi

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat