cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

By most standards I'm an optimist, but the thread that I found on the T-Mobile Nexus S has me even more concerned.  Namely, the phone has  signal issues and loses network connections where the signal is supposed to be strong. Sound familiar?

The original post for this thread was 1/7/11

Roughly 4 months later, 5/2/11 a Google employee responded saying that the issue wasn't addressed in 2.3.4 and they are still investigating...

Granted, this is a different phone and different carrier, but it seems to be more than coincidence.  The first page has complaints with users from  Russia, India, and the US.

Link Below

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=747f398a6c1bb2b9&hl=en

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really like this phone but I think I'm about to ditch it.  My airave only helps when the phone is within 10 feet and line of sight, otherwise it's back to 0-1 bars, which tells me we have some serious issues going on here. I really don't wanna go back to AT&T, but at least my iPhone got a signal.....it just dropped the calls when I held it wrong

After I return this phone, I'm going to start a new project.  Switching my company's current $300K+ telcom contract from Sprint to Verizon when it expires later this year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I decided to take Sprint's advice after calling tech support and go to the nearest repair store.  They had the phone for 40 minutes and told me "it's just easier to get a new phone" than to deal with the reception issues.  White they had my Nexus connected to their computer for diagnosis, the thing apparently did to them what it does to me on a regular basis: lost all signal bars for no reason at all.  They said that it is a known issue and "they" are working on a software update to fix it, but apparently the tech who worked on my phone was so taken back by the behavior she saw that she balked and said just to get a another phone.

I have a week left on my 30 days.  The staff at the store suggested the Samsung Epic, but it's 9 months old and missing Gingerbread and the Google functions.  They said that if I didn't want the Epic I could go to the orginal store where I bought my phones and ask for an extension of the 30 days until the Evo 3D comes out, then get that phone.  I might give this a try.  According to these people, the store can indeed extend your trial period if they want to.  I'll try asking the original sales guy tomorrow and let you know what happens.  If they don't extend this courtesy in order to retain the sale, I'll go back to ATT and pick up the Atrix.  Enough of this bullshit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im starting to believe the issues are also with the sprint network. Makes sense since by an airrave i get 4 full bars. When im anywhere outside it flucuates between 0 & maybe 2 or 3 bars at max. I believe this will not be fixed until a revision 2 phone comes. Thats why the companies havent acknowledged anything. I cant even sell mine because soo many people are aware of the issues. I might have to just take it back to best buy tomorrow.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@FTRENGINEER: I've had the T-Mo version as well since launch and I don't see any of those issues.  Signal is great (as Great as T-Mo's coverage).  The only issue I have had is in areas of poor coverage, the roaming doesn't always kick in automatically.  I've had to manually select AT&T as the network to roam.  Other than that the mobile data connection has stayed up fine and signal is as good as expected (roughly the same as the Nexus One had in the same areas - around Chicago, Charlotte, Newark).

Highlighted
Journeyman

If there is a second rev on the phone do they normally exchange out the old ones first or are we stuck?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This has got to be the most frustrating thing ever.  Bought the phone yesterday, same 4G issue as everyone else.  Contacted Sprint and they are pretending like I'm the only one with the problem.  Told me it was the towers in my area, altho I know that isn't true.  My wifes EVO has full 4G bars and is blowing this phone away on speed.

I get the feeling they are playing a game with me to get me out of the 30 day period.  I would strongly recommend to everyone to return the phone if its not fixed before they can return it.  This doesn't sound like they are going to actually fix the problem... sounds like a money issue that no one at Sprint/Google or Samsung are willing to spend.

Figures... today's world is full of companies that pull this crap all the time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd guess Sprint is minimally involved as this is between Samsung and Google - especially if this is a radio issue.  Google has already said they are looking in to it.  http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=72cde4a29b9021c3&hl=en

Most of the support techs at Sprint likely have no idea what's going on with this.  Google will push the OTA, not Sprint.  Like the oringinal issues with the GSM version Google worked with Samsung to pin point the issues and update a fix via an OTA.  If you aren't confident and your 30 days are coming up then go ahead and return it.  But Google has a pretty good track record for resolving issues with both the Nexus One and Nexus S (GSM) so far. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do think it has a signal issue and I am taking mine back this weekend.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you're like me and one of the reasons you wanted the Nexus S 4G is that it was running Gingerbread (Android 2.3) you might want to know Sprint and HTC are pushing Gingerbread to EVO 4G's Monday, but you can get it NOW by going to the phone's settings and doing an HTC software update.  Kind of makes the EVO more worth hanging onto rather than jumping to what is clearly a defective piece of hardware. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife and I will be returning both our Nexus S 4Gs this weekend to Best Buy.  We'll try to argue for a 30-day extension, but I've already been to Best Buy and been told they cannot do that.

We'll go back to our original Palm Pres and wait for either the EVO 3D to be released and settle down, or we'll wait to hear that the NS4G issues have been fixed, and then re-buy the phone for less money through Amazon or some other retailer. 

Our old contracts will be up shortly, and if neither the EVO 3D is attractive nor the NS4G gets fixed, we may consider jumping ship to another carrier.  This is a real shame, as I've been with Sprint for 12 years now and I've always liked their prices and the service.  But the Pre was a real dud from a hardware perspective, and now this.  I really do love the NS4G, but waiting around for the signal issues to be fixed is simply too much to ask.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am going to try that too with the sprint rep I bought my Nexus S from. He is aware as he was coming from a Evo 4g and was excited to get the Nexus S himself so I know he is aware. He told me that last Thursday 5/26 there would be an update. That day came and passed and still with the issue. I am coming from T-Mobile. I only left as I like trying new hardware. Plus ATT possible buyout did not have me jazzed but I was reaching 11mbps down on there HSPA+ Faux 4g network  on the Samsung Galaxy S 4g which is better than the 3.5mbps Max I have gotten with the Nexus S 4g. My BF he is getting 9mbps sometimes higher on his Evo 4g but does drop down to below what is like Evdo speeds at times too. But he still is able when the right conditions present get full signal compared to mine, makes me tight. Evo is a nice phone just don't care for Sense.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat