cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm pretty angry I'm paying premium data here and getting less than premium service for this. I literally rationalized for a splitting moment getting a Verizon LTE hotspot and tether that to my Nexus instead, and now just wondering why I'm even here anyway. I'm calling later today to see about having my bill adjusted while Sprint, Samsung and whomever figure out the signal issue. And if they tell me to wait until an update comes out, they can also keep adjusting my bill until that update comes out too.

I'm still pretty hot about the Sprint + Google Voice eating voicemail issue, so I can assure you Sprint is on my short-list this month.

Journeyman

Ok another video. I live in Seattle WA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ihb4GGzgQ

I am getting very different result between the speedtest app and the speakeasy web test. I get good result from home, (i have no airwave) I do live across the street from a clearwire tower. These speeds are with 1-2 bars of 4g. However around town I get the same 1-2 bars of 4g and much slower speeds. I will go out today and try and make some videos of this too. What I don't understand is this:

1. Why are some of these phones (like mine) capable of these speeds?

2. Why is it that when I leave my house my signal drops, I get 10%-18% cell with no reception.

3. Why is it that with 1-2 bars of 4g in other parts of town, on other towers my 4g is pathetic (video coming shortly)

Here is what I am guessing, a lot of people have found that they can reproduce the radio problems, however that they can get good speeds and signal in some areas. I am wondering if this is an issue with the software and how it speaks to different towers. Maybe sprint/clearwire didn't really communicate with Google/Samsung during the development stage as to how ALL there infrastructure hardware works.

Journeyman

I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about...I get pretty good coverage...I havent had any dropped calls. the signal icon shows low signal..usually 1-2 bars out of 4, my pre always had 5 bars at home. I'm starting to think maybe it's just an inaccurate signal strenght indicator?? Maybe if you guys tried to use the phone it would load pages and make calls even with the fewer bars. regardless...i am absolutely in love with the device, the display is simply unmatched by phones like the EVO whose colors and display seem so washed out next to the nexus s.

Journeyman

Good point. Many folks will recall the iPhone signal strength bar issue, which was fixed with a software update. Remember that wireless signals--whether on GSM or CDMA networks--vary in strength from moment to moment. What's more important is how the phone performs for you. For one day, ignore the bars and other information at the top of your phone and use it. If you experience dropped phone calls, that is not a data issue. There's something else wrong with your phone, location, weather and other factors. If websites fail to load or you notice fast battery drain, then there's cause for alarm. As I mentioned in a previous post, Androis OS is a mult-tasking operating system. Background apps still loaded in memory will swap out as you launch new ones. So don't use app killer utiitiies, especially on the Nexus S. Let the OS take care of itself.

Journeyman

@GULREZM2....

That's good...FOR YOU.  Many of us are having issues and it's not because we don't know how to use the phone.  The dropped calls and locking up of data while online are not imaginary events triggered by a faulty signal strength indicator.  You sound like a first-tier tech on the phone when we call about a problem..."is the phone on....did you update, are you an idiot, etc."

Journeyman

Re: Signal Issues with Nexus S

And since on page 36 of this thread I explained that the tech at the Sprint shop told me to get another phone, I don't think it's me.  Anyway, I'm done with this forum and with the Nexus S, however great it may be as a device, and with Sprint if they can't extend my 30 days. I'll go back to ATT and inherit all of my rollover minutes and buy the Atrix for 50 bucks less than I paid for the Nexus S.  That phone is pretty killer, too.

Journeyman

Another new Nexus S here with the exact same problem as everyone else.4G signal has been extremely spotty and weak since I got it, even though I'm in a strong service area according to their 4G map. And today it is even worse, the internet connection is not functioning at all. I cannot connect to anything on 3g or 4g, even when I have multiple 3g bars. If I go into the system status menu, under mobile network state it says disconnected.

I'm going to see if they will give me an extension on the 30 days until this problem is fixed but I'm doubtful they will do it. I hate to give up on the Nexus, as there aren't any other Sprint phones that appeal to me like this one. I love the phone aside from the connectivity issues.

I guess I'll have to visit the Sprint store and call customer service this weekend. 

Journeyman

haha why are you getting your panties in a bunch. everyone on here including YOU is just sharing his or her own PERSONAL experience, as i did. i did not say you don't know how to use the phone but that maybe you can use the phone even with a low signal indicator, like me. and hell yes it's good...FOR ME!

Journeyman

yea good luck with atrix it is a great phone once you get passed the lcd display and dorky motoblur UI. but just curious will ur monthly bill be more or less relative to sprint if you do decide to go with att?

Journeyman

Ok, i fixed the lack of 3g internet by turning airplane mode on, then back off. Now it works, even though rebooting the phone multiple times did nothing.  Weird.

Still having the extremely poor 4g reception issues though.

Journeyman

A guy at sprint said to turn off the 4 g And just run the 3g for most internet Unless you're watching youtube or multimedia. I tried this and it seems to be working With a gingerbread processor It's running good now he said the patch for the 4 g will eventually come the evo had problems to when it first came out. 4g wouldn't work and now it works great.

I think I'm going to hold pack for a while and see if this plays out well.

Come on sprint make me a believer!!!!

Journeyman

VIKES28 wrote:

A guy at sprint said to turn off the 4 g And just run the 3g for most internet Unless you're watching youtube or multimedia. I tried this and it seems to be working With a gingerbread processor It's running good now he said the patch for the 4 g will eventually come the evo had problems to when it first came out. 4g wouldn't work and now it works great.

Are you kidding me? That's sbsolutely lame...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat