cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

I really like my Nexus S.  As I've stated before the only real problem is the signal is somewhat weaker than my Evo when side by side.  The data speeds are a lot slower but still plenty fast enough for normal use.  Unless doing a speed test it would not be obviously slower.  For me the sleeker and smaller form factor is a nice change over the Evo 4G.  I have until the 26th to retun mine so hopefully the Evo 3D will come out on the 24th and I will have a chance to compare the two before deciding.  Right now the only reason I will return the NS4G is to get an Evo 3D.  Period.  The problem is a LOT less impactful for me.  I don't know why.  Maybe it has something to do with the geographical area people are located in or certain batches of the phones a just busted.  The way mine works an average person who does not do speed tests would never know there is an issue.  I've never missed a call or a text and most days I go 24hrs with 0-1% signal loss.  Anyways, my suggestion is...if you like the Nexus S, try making a hardware exchange if you haven't already before you decide to bail.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Keep reviewing this "dog" on Sprint.com if you are having issues.

Login to MySprint--->My Device---> Rate

I'm  on my second NS4G and I'm still having signal issues.  I could live  with the terrible WiFi even though I shouldn't need to, but they need to  get the cell radio fixed ASAP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am with you.  I haven't had any dropped calls, receive all texts, my speed tests on 4g are always between 7.5  - 9.5 Mbps down and .9 - 1.1 Mbps up, and my wifi is always great, especially at home with my netgear N network modem/router.  It does everything I want except keep a good signal where my other phones had a good signal.  I am sure I would get even better speeds if signal was better.  I do hope they upgrade the software to have a delete all in the email trash folder, fix the echo on the speaker phone, maybe add a camera zoom, make a notification to light up screen automatic, since there is not light to blink, and make the speaker volume louder.  With all that said, I still love the phone and keeping it.  I will get ice cream sandwich before any other phone users come this winter.  Love that too! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like your comments and approach to sophisticated smartphone computers. Although I'm sure that some Sprint customers got a dud Nexus S with real problems, the majority of folks used these pages to blast Sprint, Google and Samsung. Instead, when you buy a smartphone today, you need to decide what's most important to you. If the highest res camera is most important, then you shiould consider phones in the 5mp-8mp range, although some people have been surprised that lower res cameras sometimes produce better pics than higher res ones. I'm with you. I'd like the speaker volume higher and better Wi-Fi, like I got on my Epic 4G. Today, for the first time, I nearly reached 4 bars indoors on 3G. The Nexus downloaded very quickly. Having reviewed phones for years as a full-time blogger, I appreciate reading comments like yours. You've decided what's important in a smartphone and applied that to the phone. Good thinking.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had the Nexus for about two weeks now. I read all the reviews about signal before I bought it, but when I got to the store I was intrigued with the smoothness of the os and the phone all together. I am not a techy, but I am a business owner whose number is advertised in all local directories and online. I have yet to get all my wifi bars and 3g bars to light up. That being said, I have yet to lose a call or data signal in my service area in middle Tennessee. I love my Nexus. I went from Evo. My wife and daughter have Evo. Do there bars light up more? Yes. Can I communicate effectively on my phone? Yes. I dont care how many bars or dcb's or whatever I have, as long as I can make and recieve calls and data I'm good. Having had an iphone and Evo, Nexus S blows them out of the water. In my opinion. It is all about what you like, and if I could not comunicate with my phone I would take it back. But dont listen to those who don't like it because they are only getting 2 bars instead of 4. The calls are still clear!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Kudos to someone who finally "gets it." How the phone performs for YOU, based on your needs and expectations, is paramount. I've experienced the same here. My Epic 4G's battery drained like an SUV. Although the 4G and Wi-Fi were stronger at my home, I've found that if you ignore the bars, forget the operating system and just USE the phone, you'll be a much happier consumer. Thanks for your comment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So when the tech at the Sprint Repair Store says to get another phone due to signal dropping on this Nexus S, it's because he doesn't "get it"?  Here is what I need in a phone: calls that do not drop all the time and data that does not lock up on me...oh and if the phone says 4g then it should run 4g when I am in a 4g area. 

Bottom line is my 4g does not work at all.  I get no bars.  I was in a Sprint Store yesterday and ran several speed tests next to an Evo and my Nexus lost out each time.  The uploads were at least 1 full MB slower EVERY TIME.  The Evo was also getting 2 4g bars and I got none of my Nexus S.  WTF?

It's OK because the store manager extended my 30 days to 60 so that I can get the Evo 3D.  Works for me. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I'm done with the few NExus S fanboys and girls who post here.  You can all STFU.  Thank you very much.

Highlighted
Journeyman

buddy, our problem isn't that we get 2 bars instead of 4, it's that we get zero bars instead of 2. It's nice that you are satisfied with the performance of your phone, but don't discredit the reality of the problem because you aren't suffering from it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

icarusf wrote:

So when the tech at the Sprint Repair Store says to get another phone due to signal dropping on this Nexus S, it's because he doesn't "get it"?  Here is what I need in a phone: calls that do not drop all the time and data that does not lock up on me...oh and if the phone says 4g then it should run 4g when I am in a 4g area. 

If you say that is all you need in a phone and that is what you are getting out of the Nexus S then you should be fine right?

Well what they are saying is that they are getting all of those things out of their phones so they are fine.  Not everyone with a Nexus S is having the same issues you guys are having, im sorry if thats a tough pill to swallow but in the end the more info we have on the issue the better even if that means not all the info is congruent.

I know my phone seems to be working fine, (way better than my pre anyway) I tested it against my brothers EVO just yesterday we got the same dl and ul speeds on multiple tests, the one thing I did notice is that his phone bounced between 4 and 5 bars while mine bounced between 2, 3 and 4 bars; keep in mind though the Nexus S interface only has a max of 4 bars to display where the EVO has 6.  I know that my phone holds a crystal clear call while driving through areas where based on past experiance of the area I fully expected to drop signal altogether.

No one is trying to discredit those who have real issues, they are just giving their experiances.

Highlighted
Journeyman

seriously you sound  like a little cry baby...telling people to 'stfu'???? lol. if you don't like the phone return it and get a phone u want....

Highlighted
Journeyman

nobody is claiming that there isn't a problem with the phone. why would anyone even be involved in this discussion if their phone worked perfectly all FTRENGINEER and BADKINS69 are saying is people should evaluate the problem on a per case basis. the phone works well enough for some people that they don't see the need to return it. i am one of those people. i have yet to drop a call, fail to connect or miss a text. but i don't doubt that a lot of people experience these problems daily. so don't project your problems onto us and we won't project our lack there of onto you. my experience thus far is far from perfect, bad data speeds and weak signal mostly, but its tolerable enough to wait for a solution to the problem. call it overoptimistic if you like but i think its coming sooner than later. if you don't want to wait and your problems are too unbearable, return the phone and good luck to you and whatever you decide to replace it with.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat