cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know this will not help with the reception issues, but I think it's important to note this. I keep getting HALF the speed with the internal speedtest apps such as speedtest and FCC than I do with the Speakeasy browser speed app. Here is a video of a WiFi speedtest vs FCC vs Speakeasy. For all those that are comparing between the Evo and NS4g I recommend this as a more reliable test

*NOTE THIS IS A WIFI TEST, I HAVE OTHER VIDEOS ON 4G TESTS*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67GzqO2za0

Highlighted
Journeyman

I returned the NS4G today to go back to a Pre until a new awesome  phone comes out that can actually hold a signal.  The response from  Sprint, Google, and Samsung has been completely unacceptable.  Sprint's  responses to the PC World and Engadget articles make it seem like these  are isolated incidents that are not that high on their radar.  There is a new thread in the Sprint community...  Something along the lines of "When is Sprint going to acknowledge the signal issues with the Nexus S" to which the Sprint employee replied "Can you please describe your issues."  This is a farce right now. I'd  rather use my money on a phone that has adequate support.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in Anaheim, CA and have been doing the update profile and PRL last 24 hrs. Just this morning I get full bars (4G) when

on the web. However download speeds appear to be the same.. Around 3-4MB/download and 1MB/upload. Speakeasy

shows 8-9MB/down and 1MB/upload..

There certainly has been a change for the better as I haven't seen this yet since I got the phone 2 weeks ago.

Other thing I did was turn off the "Use Wireless Networks" under location settings and really seems to have helped

with the battery draining..

Keeping fingers crossed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did the same.  3g and Wi Fi improved dramatically. http://www.mobilespeedtest.com/results/021809sprint1504.jpg[/img][/URL]

Btw I always leave wireless location off because Google collect data from it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Brought back the Nexus S 4g today, 2 days before my 30 was up. I decided to get the HTC Evo. Already the 3G and 4g connectivity is very noticeable. I get a constant single bar of 4g everywhere in my apartment, it does not waver and I get 2-3 bars of 4g when I step outside. With the one bar, I get a download close to 6mbps. Outside I get 14! (both tests done using Speakeasy through Los Angeles) This is what I was expecting with the Nexus S since I am in the best coverage area according to Sprint's 4g coverage map. It's pretty amazing. I was going to port back to T-Mobile but they dropped the ball when I called to do that yesterday so I decided to stay with Sprint and just change phones. Through all of my reception issues with the Nexus S 4g, Sprint customer care and in-store staff were actually very helpful. Jonathan at customer care has called me at least 4 times to see what my progress has been. I took the phone into the store earlier this week at his request and had them run a diagnostic on it. They said it passed whatever tests they run and they did a hard reset of my phone but it didn't change anything. Jonathan also acknowledged they knew about the reception issues and were looking into it. The rep at the Encino, CA Sprint store who helped me out on two occasions was also very helpful and even went so far as to research the issue online and told me he saw that people were having reception problems. I see that the phone only has 3 stars now on Sprint's website so the message is getting out there. Hopefully they come out with a fix for the Nexus, it is a great phone in all other aspects but I can say definitively now that it is faulty when it comes to reception. If you're getting close to the end of your 30 days you may want to exchange for something different as I got no indication that a fix was coming soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I returned my NS4G this morning and went back to my old Palm Pre- and reset my upgrade eligibility. I'll snag an EVO 3D when they come out.. may wait a week or two to hear the reports... maybe they'll even announce the launch date for the Moto Photon and I'll consider that if it's no too far out. HTC and Moto Hardware is top notch...

But I really tried to like the Nexus S 4G and honestly it's a slick phone but the signal issue was the deal breaker.. I hope everyone waiting gets a fix... but I'm not that trusting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm experiencing all the same issues as everyone else... I am in an area of Grand Rapids, MI that should have 4G coverage in cars and building and can't even connect in my front lawn!!! I tried updating the PROFILE and PRL and the call fails! I've had the phone a week and although I really do like it, I may have to go back and trade-in for something different... I'm not really sure about waiting on the EVO 3D as I'm sure that will have it's bugs too... I really wanted an Android powered device, and yet I miss my BlackBerry's functionality!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was hoping to be able to wait for the HTC 3D but I couldn't do anything my signal was so bad 😞 so I ended up taking my phone number back to at & t because I still had my Motorola atrix to use. Its an awesome device!

Highlighted
Journeyman

asduffy i did some research on the speedtest vs. speakeasy speed test and i found that the speedtest app is BROKEN on the nexus s....maybe all these people complaining are complaining because of inaccurately low speed results from the broken app....before returning your device, run some tests on speakeasy speedtest website, which is not an app but a flash plugin that determines speed. i am on wifi right now (using speakeasy) getting 10+mbps even though the router is on the other end of my house, and on 3g i get 1mbps at 11.30pm on a sunday night (with 3 of 4 bars). During the day i get in the range of 400-600kbps at peak hours when network traffic is highest. With the speedtest app i get 50% of the speed I get on the speakeasy website.

I think this is very important but...my stock browser and the dolphin browser are terribly slow at rendering pages and MAYBE that is why people are so disappointed in the speed of the phone. when i try loading a content heavy page on 3g...it never finishes loading.

i've been using the OPERA MOBILE BROWSER and have to say that the speed is EXTREMELY fast. pages render in 2-10 seconds and flash content plays with fluidity. this is why my original inclination was that this must be a SOFTWARE problem, not a hardware problem. I still have 2 weeks left to return the phone but I think I will stick with it....I encourage everyone to try out the opera browser before returning the phone, and see if you are still experiencing slow network speeds. unfortunately i do not live in a 4g area but I traveled to one a few weeks ago and DID experience some problems connecting with the network, albeit my testing was a little haphazard... I will go back to detroit in a few days and try 4g out again and come back to report my findings..

fyi sprint has announced that they will be switching all of their 4g towers to lte....which means all the 4g phones must be compatible with lte tower frequencies.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@ GULREZM2, I have not seen any recent OFFICIAL announcements from Sprint on switching to LTE.  Where and when did you see an OFFICIAL annoucement on that?  I would love to read it.  I do know it has been rumored that they may announce it sometime this summer  and to have it complete by 2013, but still nothing OFFICIAL.  Just asking......

Highlighted
Journeyman

That statement about Sprint switching to LTE is irresponsible speculation not founded in evidence that I can find anywhere.  By all outward appearances, Sprint has been hedging its bets with wimax/clearwire, while reserving its right to switch to LTE if and when it suits them.  Yes, they have the option of switching to LTE, and it seems like eventually everyone will go LTE.  But I've seen no concrete news about Sprint making that call just yet.  Certainly their existing phone lineup doesn't support LTE anyway.

Excellent discussion on all of this can be found over on Howard Forums.  If you're interested in the machinations of the wireless industry, it's a great place to read up.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat