cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

In my case, I exchanged my Nexus S 4G for an EVO. My 30 days was almost up and the Sprint store manager wouldn't extend my trial period to get the EVO 3D. I could have ported back to T-Mobile for 45 days and then come back to Sprint but I had already setup payments, confirmed the work discount, confirmed the $125 credit on the 3rd month bill and got the 300 bonus minutes on top of the 450 for the duration of my time with Sprint. I don't know if the 300 minutes offer has ended or will end before the 3D EVO comes out. On top of that, I got $50 back. Besides, I just thing 3D is a gimmick and I'm not buiying into it in any form. And the EVO I got came loaded with Gingerbread so not much of a downside. It's a great phone, smokes the iPhone 3G I had. It does suck battery though, no doubt about that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I decided to go with the Evo because I don't need the 3D.  It seems gimmicky and unnecessary, so I didn't see the point in waiting.  Plus, 3D just seems to be asking for problems with the phone, so I wasn't about to rush out and get a brand new model again and go through what I went through with the Nexus.  And the Evo was on sale.  I'm planning on keeping an eye on things for the next 30 days to see if there happens to be a fix with the Nexus and to see how the Evo 3D functions.  Might make a switch then, but, if not, I'm pretty happy with the Evo right now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

this is why i feel like a lot of these folks complaining about phones are not very technically inclined....if most of them are content using a year old phone with an lcd display....3d is a gimmick?? what about the dual core processor/1gb ram/4gb rom,  960x540 resolution, 1080p playback, in pretty much every aspect, the evo3d is way ahead of last year's evo....how can anyone with even a little technical know-how be satisfied with an evo4g in summer of 2011??

Highlighted
Journeyman

@GULREZM2 - It don''t matter cuz we're all switching to the iPhone 5 in the fall anyway.

Highlighted
Journeyman

lol when you pay 90+$/month for an iphone...it will just prove my point even more

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd consider myself extremely technical and I couldn't care less about 3D or dual core or 4G and especially 1080p playback.  Give me a stock Android device with a 4" screen that doesn't lag, has decent battery life, and can actually hold a connection and I'll buy it. The Nexus S 4G was close.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

but why would you choose a year old device at 150$ when the newer, better version is available for $200 in a few weeks? im talking specifically about people who chose to get an evo4g to replace their nexus. if YOU are one of those people, I don't think you are extremely technical at all...regardless of whether you need/use 1080p playback, or 3d (which you never have to use as it is specifically designated to be used with 3d content ONLY), then you may as well AT THE VERY LEAST care about the dual core processor which would contribute to less lag, more UI improvements over last year's model and the higher quality screen with MUCH better resolution (even people who just use phones to make phone calls and browse the web would prefer the newer screen).

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you have used the Nexus S it is very peppy and no lag that I have seen. Hey. it's way faster

than the 1st gen ipad! Give it dual-core and what you think is going to happen to the battery life?

It's going to die even faster.. Other thing to consider is that HD playback. Just 1 minute of video

on the stock Nexus S at 480 is about 25MB and if you have good 4G connection it's going to take 3-4

minutes to upload. You really want to record 720 or 1080 on a phone and upload to youtube on 4G?

I've watched plenty of video and the difference between 480 and 720 isn't much.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i completely agree with you about the nexus in that it is very snappy. but if you look into how processors work, dual-core actually consumes less battery than single core. and i 100% agree with you in that HD playback is unecessary and excessive and I have never ever personally found any use for it, but the if the option is available...along wiht all of the other features ive listed why not? personally....after using the nexus for a few weeks...i almost puke when i look at an evo 4g's screen...

Highlighted
Journeyman

"but why would you choose a year old device at 150$ when the newer, better version is available for $200 in a few weeks? im talking specifically about people who chose to get an evo4g to replace their nexus."

Why would "I" choose this?  Simple, the dam thing doesn't work...  easy enough!  I chose to move to the EVO3G from the nexus because at least I can make calls, get decent connection speeds and such.  There's no use in debating something that has been beaten to death in this thread, there's confirmed issues with the nexus that the majority of us here find are unexcusable and simply can not just "live with". Kudo's to those who are still hanging in there waiting for something to happen, I couldn't wait (not wouldn't, COULDN'T) as I remote into alot of my clients pc's from the phone to troubleshoot.

When I first left ATT / iPhone and moved to Sprint, I thought it was a step down but at least I could gain control of my cell phone bill every month. I have learned that is not the case and im very happy with the Evo and eventually may move back to the nexus once the problems are sorted out. To me, the iphone is very limited on bandwidth.   That and the screen size is tiny compared to the Nexus and especially the evo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

s_glide you must be extremely gifted at reading because my comparison was not between nexus and "evo3g" but the evo3d and evo4g....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I love my Nexus S, but it drops a call like a hot potato.  I called Sprint, and the rep could only "refresh" my phone.  It didn't help.  He said there was an outage in my area, but neither my old Android phone nor my husband's has this issue.  The rep is going to call back Friday to follow up.  It doesn't seem like they have yet logged this as "a known issue."

So far, my experience with Sprint, Google, and the phone manufacturers has been that they all keep passing around the buck and don't take accountability for any of their issues.  This is a great disservice to customers.  I hope they fix their business model soon.

Here is the Nexus S Signal Strength Forum Thread over on the Google Forum:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?fid=72cde4a29b9021c30004a5b673c04701&hl=e...

Might get more "techy" suggestions there, but I haven't seen any resolution thus far. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat