cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had the Nexus S for a few weeks now but have been going back and forth about checking

out the EVO 3D when it arrives. I've got the battery figured out where I'm getting 12 hours no

problem so that is fixed for me. So it doesn't show the right # of signal bars - doesn't bother me. Still haven't had

a dropped call and I'm getting incredible download speeds on 4G. So bottom line for me is two things - first

is stock Andoid without all the crapware loaded on top. Second is the Nexus S form factor. It just looks good

to me and feels good in my hand and pocket. Works for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

heggers plz share with us how you manage 12 hours of battery life...do you use juicedefender and what settings do you use?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I noticed that Maps was taking up 50% of my battery, so I turned off find location by wireless . . . I also turn off 3g when I am using wireless at home.  My phone lasts over 20 hours this way.  However, I would like to be able to track the phones location for latitude and general purposes.  I haven't figured out a way to get maps from eating up my battery though. 😞

Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, juice defender doesn't work well with the Gingerbread 2.3.4 OS on the Nexus S - because one of the main things it does to save battery is toggle the 3g/4g with wireless which can't be done in Gingergread.  Google disabled the API where the user has to manual turn off 4g and 3g (don't ask me why).  I have Android Assistant and have it set to do an auto boost.  I don't think it gives me very much though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Was getting horrible battery life like a lot of you.. then read here someone else did this..

Under "Location and Security Settings" --> uncheck "Use wireless networks".. When this

is on, seems to really drain the battery. My daughter has a Palm Pre and she notices the

same thing on her phone. Don't use juicedefender or task killers. And auto on display setting.

It really seemed to help that I actually let the battery drain a couple of times too.

Also, as others have stated, maps seems to be a big drain too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yup, the only problem with this work-around is that if you ever lose your phone, chances of figuring out where it is is zero to none. It also breaks things like the Weather.com widget which uses it to find your location for weather alerts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Big bummer for me is that where I live it is on the fringe of 4G coverage...

But where there is 4G signal I have been very impressed. In the middle of a concrete 10 story

building on the mezz floor which is between 1st and 2nd floor, no windows, was seeing

4MB/down and 500k/upload today on the Speakeasy site. VERY impressed. Heck that's better

than my lousy ATT DSL.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It seems the new Evo 3D has the same issues the Nexus S 4G does with voice and 4G performance. At least according to the new review at Phonescoop. The reviewer says "First, WiMax performance. The 4G radio can find Sprint's WiMax network, but not very consistently. Using the phone in New York City on two separate occasions, it connected to the WiMax network lickety-split, held onto it for a minute, and then dropped it. I wasn't able to reconnect to the 4G network for several moments. The rest of the time I was in NYC, the signal waffled between 4G and 3G, as though it couldn't decide which network it preferred. Data speeds and browser performance were, understandably, inconsistent. When it was connected to WiMax, it was fast. When it wasn't, things slowed down.

As for 3G, out in NJ where 4G isn't live yet, I was able to spend a weekend with the EVO 3D using EVDO-only coverage. How well did this work? In a word: disaster. The EVO 3D barely held onto one bar most of the time. This led to missed calls, plenty of repeat dials, and several dropped calls. Not good. As for 3G data performance, it was better than voice performance for sure. Speeds were decent, and 3G browsing sessions were acceptably quick, even with only one bar. At my home in NJ, one bar is pretty typical for Sprint. It performed on par with other Sprint 3G devices."

A 2nd Android phone running GB on Sprint's network and it sounds just like the Nexus issues. Something tells me there are big issues with GB and Sprint for some reason, not good. This might also explain why the 3D is only 9 days from launch and there are zero reviews for it. Sprint isnt sending phones to anyone for early reviews because I bet they know this is an issue already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

whas the status on this issue? any updates?Definate answer about problem being related to hardware or software?

I don't mind getting this as long is an software issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It would seem this is a MORE serious issue that otherwise thought.  MBELL75's comment on Jun15, 2011 at 2:30am...(quoted below) seems to suggest major issues.  I've been forwarding snippets of comments to dan@sprint.com  I think we ALL should ...

"It seems the new Evo 3D has the same issues the Nexus S 4G does with voice and 4G performance. At least according to the new review at Phonescoop. The reviewer says "First, WiMax performance. The 4G radio can find Sprint's WiMax network, but not very consistently. Using the phone in New York City on two separate occasions, it connected to the WiMax network lickety-split, held onto it for a minute, and then dropped it. I wasn't able to reconnect to the 4G network for several moments. The rest of the time I was in NYC, the signal waffled between 4G and 3G, as though it couldn't decide which network it preferred. Data speeds and browser performance were, understandably, inconsistent. When it was connected to WiMax, it was fast. When it wasn't, things slowed down.

As for 3G, out in NJ where 4G isn't live yet, I was able to spend a weekend with the EVO 3D using EVDO-only coverage. How well did this work? In a word: disaster. The EVO 3D barely held onto one bar most of the time. This led to missed calls, plenty of repeat dials, and several dropped calls. Not good. As for 3G data performance, it was better than voice performance for sure. Speeds were decent, and 3G browsing sessions were acceptably quick, even with only one bar. At my home in NJ, one bar is pretty typical for Sprint. It performed on par with other Sprint 3G devices."

A 2nd Android phone running GB on Sprint's network and it sounds just like the Nexus issues. Something tells me there are big issues with GB and Sprint for some reason, not good. This might also explain why the 3D is only 9 days from launch and there are zero reviews for it. Sprint isnt sending phones to anyone for early reviews because I bet they know this is an issue already."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually another way to look at it is that it is a software issue which can be resolved either as an update to gingerbread or supply the fix with ice cream sandwich.

Highlighted
Wizard

This is sad. First the Nexus and now already talk that there are problems with the Evo 3D. Sounds like Gingerbread is a bust and no talk of any fix for the Nexus and all we can do is hope for the 3D to work.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat