cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am in the DFW area too and I do have bad signal strength dBm, but I never drop calls and my data speeds are good.  My 4g is very fast compared to my sister in laws Evo.  We tested them side by side on speakeasy (since speedtest doesn't work on Nexus) and she was at 6mb and I was at 9mb down and she was .6 mb up and I was at .9 mb up.  I am very happy with the phone.  It has done well on a trip to Houston also.  Sometimes the dBm's are very low on signal strength, but still no dropped calls or slow data.  I when they come up with a fix for the signal strength, it will make the phone work that much more as well as improve our battery life because it won't be searching for a better signal all the time.  I can not give up this phone.  It is the cream of the crop right now.  Everyone hang in there for the fix, if you can.

Sprint is working with Samsung on getting a fix, per the Sprint reps that I have talked to several times through phone calls and emails that originated from the email I sent to dan@sprint.com.  It is very cool when you email to that address and the reps email you back as well as call you.  You don't have to call anyone and the response time and info is much better than when you call in on their regular phone tech lines.  I am sure that depending on everyones area they are in, there is case by case issues that some are worse than others, but bottom line is the signal strength is not good on any of the Nexus S 4g phones.  Good luck to all.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So lets see here nexus s 4g on gingerbread 2.3 poor signal.  Evo 3d running 2.3 reviewers reporting a weak signal.  Epic 4g upgraded to 2.3 poor singal all the sudden.  Hmm think there is a problem with android 2.3 and Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess I should have been more clear, my HTC Hero was running CM7 (Android 2.3).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I may just take mine back and wait for the Photon...

Highlighted
Journeyman

This whole signal thing is pissing me off. Its been 6 weeks and no one even knows if its hardware or software related yet. I get fine reception at home, but around town, its hit or miss. I went to a 5th place yesterday where I went from 1 bar of 3G to 1x then to...roaming? Roaming? Meanwhile I have a friend who needed to pay her TMobile bill so I walk in and go play with the Sensation. Had 4 full bars of 4G in an area I was lucky to get 2 bars of 3G, forget 4G. So long story short, I picked one up for a trial. Its a very nice phone but it isnt as lightning fast as I was expecting. In fact, there are some times where the Nexus will load up a page quicker. There is no clear winner really, just depends on the area I am in. Some areas the Nexus S gets a better signal, some the Sensation will. However, I have yet to get full bars of 3G or 4G on the Nexus but I can get full 4G on the Sensation. One thing that sucks about the Sensation is I get no signal in my apartment which is typical of TMobile here. Luckily they have the wifi calling feature, so that works.  A few things I do prefer about the Sensation is the screen which surprises me since it looked washed out in all the reviews. I like being able to do voice and data at the same time since TMobile is GSM. I like having a SIM card, notification light, SD storage and I like the build quality better, plus it shoots 1080p video and has an 8MP camera with way more control over settings, manual focus and zoom. Think I will be keeping the Sensation, returning the Nexus and leaving Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I spoke with a Sprint representative, and Sprint has finally admitted to customers that this is a known, open issue.  The representative said that he thought the problem was related to the Gingerbread OS, but I don't know if that is accurate or not.  I suggested to him that they needed to do a blanket reconciliation or even recall on the Nexus S, and I think Sprint is still taking the position that it isn't affecting all Nexus S customers. I plan to keep calling to get updates on the status of the issue, and I would suggest that you all call Spring customer service as well. He made it seem like they plan to handle this on a case-by-case basis for customers we report they are having the issue.

Good luck,

Pam

Highlighted
Journeyman

i do believe gingerbread is part of the issues. so is the sprint network combined with a faulty radio in the nexus s. i got fed up and returned my evo, left sprint and defected to verizon and bought a htc thunderbolt. i can say it feels great to have a fast phone and a perfect signal and battery life. sprint also waived my early termination fees.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a similar issue to the OP, just reversed.

At work I have great 4G/Wireless coverage. When I get home it seems like all service cuts off as soon as I walk in the door. After some messing around with the phone, I noticed that the data gets turned off when I leave 4G range.

I turned it back on and all my problems were solved. It's a bit tedious to do this every day I leave work, but I'm about to look for an app that can manage this for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will these issues ever be addressed?  This may be where Google is placing it's focus:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/15/exclusive-google-nexus-4g-detailed-720p-display-4g-lte-android-4-0/

Highlighted
Journeyman

this needs to be fixed I want my 10.00 a month back since  I get on the net with 1x !

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rumor Update:

http://gizmofusion.com/2011/06/sprint-working-nexus-s-4g-update-to-os-2-4/

I hope it's true.  I don't want to take this phone back - it has incredible potential and is super sexy.  The 150 kbps I get is simply unacceptable though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

regarding sprint and lte upgrades....hmmmm defintely not as OFFICIAL as you would like it to be but they have signed a contract without OFFICIALLY announcing it publicly....maybe some things can be believed without having an OFFICIAL announcement??

http://www.precentral.net/sprint-deploy-20-billion-lte-network-lightsquared

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat