Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint,

Are you addressing this issue with Samsung?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would not just give up all hope on the phone as some of you seem to be doing, if you have a defective phone take it in to have it replaced and have Sprint look into the issue for you.  My experiance has been the exact opposite, I actually manage to hold on to one bar of signal in a place where every other CDMA user around me is dead.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunately, it wasn't just one phone.

Both Nexus S 4G's on my family plan were bad, and the two demo/employee Nexus phones in the store had the same issue.

To me and the Sprint store employees, it seemed like a consistent issue.

Highlighted
Wizard

To those whom are having issues with your Google Nexus S, there was a software release made available yesterday. Please be sure you have downloaded and installed the update.

Please be sure to check the following link for details and installation instructions: http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/nexus_s_/blog....

--William

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too was having the same issues with signal quality.  My wifes Sprint phone would have 3-4 bars, My Hero would have 3-4 bars and the Nexus S maybe would have 1 bar in the same area.  I did do the Software release to GRJ22 and it did not solve anything.  I actually returned my Nexus S to Bestbuy today and went back to my old Hero.  Hopefully this issue gets resolved and I may reconsider giving the phone a second chance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having the same exact issue, also already have GRJ22 installed. I'll give it a few days to see if a fix is sent out before returning the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

GRJ22 was installed from the very first minute using the Nexus phones.

I wish I had had the luxury of giving it a few days to see if a fix comes out, but my wife had zero signal with no ability to make/receive calls and texts.

So, we had to trade out for a phone with a decent antenna.  It's not the phone we switched to Sprint for though...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same exact issue. I have poor  service in my apartment with this phone, but last week I had full  service with my 3 year old Palm Centro. Hmmm

I am also having problems with my internal mic. I can carry on a call while I have full 3G service, and even a 4G connection, but only on speaker phone. When I attempt to carry on a call normally, I cannot hear anything but the person on the other line can hear me perfectly. This occurs completely randomly. I've placed calls from the same exact spot, one after the other, with mixed results.

It seems to me the Nexus S 4G was released a bit too soon. Are Sprint, Samsung, & Google just going to continue  to sit on their hands regarding these mounting issues? Don't tell me to  go to a Sprint store to have my two-day-old-phone either. That's just asinine; resolve the issue, don't just direct us elsewhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have signal issues with the Nexus, I'll give it another week and see if Sprint gets off their butts and do something about it other than suggest loading the maintence release that doesn't do squat for the radio.  If not I'll return it as defective.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i switched to Sprint from AT&T to get the Nexus S 4G. i have no previous experiences with Sprint so i figured the coverage in my area (Madison WI) just sucks even though the map shows plenty of 3G coverage throughout the county. i guess its a good thing that its a phone issue and not a network issue but i would definitely like to see this resolved. i've never seen my phone get more than 2 bars ever and would really like that to change. i haven't had any issues making or receiving calls though, mostly thanks to WiFi calling. but still, FIX THIS!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just switched from T-Mobile to Sprint yesterday for the Nexus S 4G. My coverage map states that I won't get 4G at my home, but I should be getting Full 3G service. Well I'm not. I haven't received a 3G connection once, just 1x connection. The W-Fi is also very spotty with some of my text messages failing to send. That never happened with my T-Mobile service! I really love this phone, but will be forced to cancel if it is not improved during the grace period.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same problem poor wi-fi and 3g reception and so far no 4g. I moved from the HTC EVO and it did not have these problems.

Samsung?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat