cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my call back in 16 hrs. after my email to dan.  Just curious, how long did it take for them to call you back?

At least we are getting good feedback from our call backs.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is anyone reporting dates/times action points that are being done on the fix for this?  Having had an HTC phone before and seeing how Sprint worked the information stream on that with, 'not us, HTC' and HTC saying, 'not us, Sprint' and Google saying, 'Oh, I hope they all get it figured out' - I have a fear of a repeat on this. Buying the Nexus S was, what I thought, the best approach to get cleanest/pureset Google - without the hassle of provider or manufacturer integration. Seeing the Google voice integration and it's issues is lowering my confidence in the Nexus line.

Highlighted
Journeyman

There has been no activity since your post. Still waiting for a call from Dan's office.

Highlighted
Journeyman

TCSupport wrote:

Hello everyone, we know there are some concerns around the number of bars associated with the Sprint Nexus S 4G devices. The 3G indicator was defined by Google which was set at 4 bars compared to the standard 6 bars that you have become accustom to seeing on our other Sprint devices. The 4G parameters were set by Sprint and it should be displaying like other Sprint 4G devices.

TCSupport, its more than how many "bars" of signal strength might be showing up on the display, in my case I find the phone is often going in an out of roaming in areas I previously had no problem with signal reception on Sprint network, and even when roaming I have problems with data, I have also found that after a couple of days I need to reboot the phone for it to start passing data again for some apps (Google voice primarily).  Concerning the 4G service, in areas that I know I should be able to get 4G coverage either the signal is weak as per the "bars" on the display or simply non-existent.  When I can get a 4G signal and the signal is lost it take the phone what seems like an eternity to reconnect via 3G (probably 30 seconds to a minute) to where I can pass data again.

Please let me know the following:

• Is the issue around the number of bars that you are familiar with seeing?

No but it appears as if the number of bars displayed is directly proportional to the usability of the device so indirectly yes

• Is the issue related to drop calls such as inbound and outbound calling?

one of the problems, seems to be more of an issue with inbound calls, I am using the Google Voice integration and have noticed a bunch of voice mail messages (some empty meaning they decided not to leave me a message) that were during a time I had the phone sitting right on my desk in an area I know I used to always have good to excellent coverage.  The Nexus shows anywhere from 0 to 2 bars (randomly)  Oddly enough I don't seem to have much of an issue with outgoing calls, that might simply be because I've just been lucky.

• Is the issue related to no data?

Ding Ding Ding, major issue, I've found data to simply just stop, or often I'll see the indicator go from green to white while still showing a signal, or data stopped because of a diminished signal but never starts up again.  I've also had errors along the line of no network connectivity in areas I am accustomed to having good connectivity.

Other radio problems -

WiFi, I have in my home a commercial grade Access point (AP), specifically a Cisco 1241 with A/B/G radios, unlike the vast majority of the consumer grade equipment that is only 30mW this AP uses a full 100mW for its transmitter, I can not only get good coverage anywhere within my home, I can also get a reasonable signal across the street at my neighbors house, however with the Nexus I have trouble maintaining a reliable WiFi connection anywhere in the house except for right next to the AP.

Bluetooth - Not 100% convinced its stable, I have noticed that when listening to music stored on the phone via bluetooth headphones (Motorola S9-HD) I may randomly get an occasional dropout, I believe its occuring when the phone is trying to (re)connect to the phone network.

I assure you that we are aware of this issue.

L`eroy

Sprint employee Product Ambassador for the Nexus S.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear that Sprint is aware of the issue, I'm hoping "aware" means that Sprint has acknowledged it is a problem and is working on a fix.  I think Sprint needs to adjust their internal lingo to something that matches what the user community would expect to hear when posting online.  For example you say "investigating the issue", which I hope means that "you (Sprint) has confirmed that an issue exists and that you are in the process of investigating the extent of the problem and the cause along with the possible fix(es)"  Investigating to everybody here sounds like Sprint is still trying to figure out if a problem really exists.

I think I have the same sentiment as many here, the phone as an Android device seems to work well although mine crashed today for the first time (that I'm aware of) after completing a phone call.  I know I would prefer to keep it if I knew that either a fix will be forthcoming once the root cause is identified or if it ends up being a hardware issue that Sprint would replace the handsets.  The problem is I am up against the 30 day window to return the device which for me is June 7th.

-TL

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am having signal issues with this phone.  I am a new sprint customer, but have had sprint many years ago.  At first I wrote it off as crappy sprint coverage, but after reading this it sounds more like what i'm experiencing.  The 4g works in a coverage area but only has 1 bar and doesn't really stay connceted very well.  4g speedtest was around 2.5Mb down/1Mb up.  The 3g speeds have been horrible(300Kb down/200Kb up) and I haven't seen higher than 2 bars(typically 1 or none) and even dropped into roaming inside my house.  Even my WiFi has shown low signal bars compared to other wifi devices.  If i'm going to be roaming in my house, I may have to switch to something else.  I really like the look and feel and user experience of this device though.  I really hope there isn't a hardware issue with the combination of radios in this phone, and that it can be fixed with an OTA software fix.

I love this phone because of the stock gingerbread.  I hate all of the nonsense that the carriers and phone manufacturers try to coat on top, it takes away from the user experience and UI consistency.  I originally bought a droid x2 on verizon and hated the moto blur nonsense, and didn't want to settle without 4g(even though WiMax is nowhere near LTE performance and I actually have LTE coverage at my house but not WiMax).  I hate the droid charge, and the thunderbolt feels cheap.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have lookout and advanced task killer and I receive all my calls.  So, that's not it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I called Sprint customer support for a second time about the poor reception. This time they are sending me an Airave. Has anyone used one of these before? Does it increase the signal in home significantly? Not sure how this can help once I leave the house but I guess it's a start. The rep I spoke with said that matters like mine are escalated and investigated. She also said I could return my phone for one of the following at no cost: HTC EVO, Samsung Epic, EVO Shift, Echo, HTC Arrive. If I do decide to switch phones due to thsi reception issue, does anyone have advice as to what I should switch to based on the ones I listed?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

+1.

I'm having Nexus S signal issues as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having signal issues as well. Mine even frequently drops to 1X.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone notice that the 3g and 4g signals go up about 2x with wifi disabled?

Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah I'm having the same issues as well No signal bars and very poor battery life/ I contacted Sprint Customer service 4x on Sat.  and I too will be sent out a free airwave and I'm going to swap my 2 Nexus for another 2 Nexus just to see if the ones I got were no good.

Highlighted
Journeyman

BoManiac,
The Evo 4G has dull colors and will be replaced by the Evo 3D in the coming weeks. The Evo Shift has a tiny screen (IMHO). The Echo seemed really fragile to me and doesn't have 4G. The Epic is very bulky, but it compares mostly with the Nexus S. I never paid attention to the Arrive, but it doesn't have 4G. I would say wait out for a Nexus S OTA and the Airave should keep you from needing to get rid of your Nexus S for the time being.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat