cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Highlighted
Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Highlighted
Journeyman

I posted a negative review of the phone on Samsung's website Saturday and it hasn't been posted by Samsung.  Seems like they're only posting the 4 or 5 star reviews.  The link to their review page is http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SPH-D720ZKASPR-reviews.  I'm sure they'll censor any negative reviews, but it never hurts to try. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another article documenting this issue.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385584,00.asp

Highlighted
Journeyman

This line says it all:

Bottom Line

Despite offering a pure Android experience, the Nexus S 4G for Sprint lacks state-of-the-art specs, and its reception problems are fatal.

Very glad to see that a major publication sounded off on this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Taking bets on the odds of Samsung winning the next Nexus contract...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am glad to see a major publication has put it on record and Sprint can't say "it's a small percentage of our users... blah blah blah".  The sad reality is that, unless the Evo 3D comes out on June 4th as rumored, I am pretty much going to be stuck buying the Evo 3d at full price.  I can sell my Nexus S, but who's dumb enough to buy it?  Besides me obviously.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope for those of you keeping the phone that someone is taking this seriously and working on a fix.

After switching to the EVO 4G because of the Nexus S 4G signal issues, we still were not happy.

The phone was not the experience we were looking for, and the coverage and speeds did not match Sprint's claims at all.

We switched to the LG G2X on another carrier, and it's that pure Google experience we were looking for, on a faster phone (minus the NFC capability).

The signal is good, and the data speeds are blowing away what I got on Sprint.

This may just be how the coverage is in my area, so I'm not suggesting that would work out for everyone.

But, I wasn't going to wait any longer, because of the lack of any serious public acknowledgment of the issue with the Nexus S 4G.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Login to your Sprint account--> My Sprint---> My Devices---> Click the Nexus S and it should give an option to write a review.  Supposedly it takes 48 hours to show.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dont agree with that review. Its a great phone minus the signal issues. Im sure an update will come soon to fix it. Has there even been confirmation that this is being looked into or fixed? All im hearing is rumors. Im keeping mine until the galaxy 2 comes. The evo3d was confirimed to have a locked/encypted bootloader. Ill pass on that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dont agree with the article 100 % either. Like most people I am just glad that a major publication has acknowledged there is in fact an issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's finally happening......Gizmodo just posted this, which means Engadget can't be far behind.  If anyone is a "starred" commenter on Gizmodo, please make a few comments supporting the weak radios.

http://gizmodo.com/5804752/google-nexus-s-4g-where-wimax-and-battery-life-arent-mutually-exclusive

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've noticed something interesting.  Maybe the Sprint people who are allegedly monitoring this forum will find this helpful. 

I'm on my SECOND Nexus 4G, and I've noticed that since I got it Friday night, the radio is getting WORSE.  Lower signal in all locations as time goes on.  Just did a battery pull and can't see wi-fi while standing next to the router and can't pick up 4G with a tower in the parking lot.  The other parts of the phone don't seem affected, but unless there was an update pushed to the phone, it's getting worse as time goes on.  I'm wondering if it isn't time to just go back to Verizon.  Even with problems with BlackBerry devices, I've never seen anything like this.  In fact, I've been using cellular equipment since 1984 (testing for Motorola) and have never seen an at-market device perform as poorly as this without a fix being offered up by now.

This is really inexcuseable. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just got my Nexus, I can confirm a couple of things. First I have very good 4g reception were I live in Seattle, so I tested the rumor that speedtest.net is broken for the Nexus and can confirm absolutly this is true. I get 3Mbps but when I use speakeasy I get 7-10 Mbps, also confirmed this with my laptop via tethering. This also showes the the 4g radio is capable of 7-10 Mbps. However, in my cement appartment (nobody gets any cell reception in my buliding) I only get 1 bar of 4g and my speeds slow down to about 1-3Mbps.

I can confirm that the WiFi is weak, but is working just fine, for me, I have a small condo.

With 3g and full bars I get about 1.5Mbps.

I am new to Android, came from a iPhone, so I am just learning.

I wanted to post this so that if anyone would like to ask me to run a test here or ask me about my settings, feel free

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat