Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues with Nexus S

Journeyman

Signal Issues with Nexus S

I purchased the Nexus S yesterday morning and I totally love the device. It is so speedy and fast. Had no really issues with coverage at my house but I got to work this morning and have absolutely NO 3G or service period in my office. Now the reason I know this is not right is I have a co-worker that has an HTC EVO who has FULL bars and 3G available in my cube and his. I put our devices next to each other and everything and he has service and I do not. I was not able to even send a text from my desk today when I got to work.

I really love the phone and there isn't really another Sprint phone that I have a desire to have, but I can't have a phone that doesn't work where I am over 40 hours a week.

Anyone else have any advice or ideas? I tried Update profile and Update PRL in the building here and it didn't help.

I really love this phone, do you know of another device other than the EVO that has a better antenna? The EVO is too big for me.

Thank you for any advice.

913 REPLIES 913
Journeyman

I stopped in to the Sprint store in Burlington, MA today and spoke to a technician about the signal issue. He told me that he had received a technical bulliten about the 4G signal problem, and that Google or Samsung is working on an OTA fix, which will be available... at some point. No time frame. I'm happy that they acknowledge the problem anyway. He also suggested that I get a new phone while I'm within the 30 day return period, though it's likely a new phone would have the same problem.  I'm willing to take my chances and wait for a fix, as I really do like the phone aside from the fact this it's not connecting to a 4G properly.

Journeyman

it sounds like the necessary parties are aware of and working towards a solution of the problem. that's good enough for me. I'm just going to hang onto my phone and wait for a fix.

Journeyman

While at my son's t-ball game I noticed that I was getting a full 4 bars of 3g signal, so I ran my speed test and got the following:

322ms ping

977 kbps down

393 kbps up

Not bad.  Now I am one of those few who do not seem to be having issues as sever as most of you.  Im not saying its perfect, my phone does seem to display fewer bars than I was used to having on my pre and it does seem to jump around a lot, for instance at the field I did manage to hold onto 4 bars while running the speed test but it jumped from 3 to 4 frequently there after.  I also do suffer from a very week wifi signal unless im right next to it I'm lucky to get 1 bar of signal.

Phone Info:

Technology: EVDO RevA

PRL Version: 01115

Hardware Version: D720.06

Build: GRJ22

Journeyman

the companies have still failed to acknowledge a fix or the problem at hand.

i got a response back from samsung about my youtube video... they claim they are unaware of the issue and that they want me to send them my phone for testing. samsung is totally clueless to our problems people. we need to push harder here.

heres my video again, use it people! ... this place is getting way to quiet right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ruRXniloY

Journeyman

@FIXXER1022 - Perhaps you didn't read what PAHOBA943A wrote just a few posts up from yours:

I stopped in to the Sprint store in Burlington, MA today and spoke to a  technician about the signal issue. He told me that he had received a  technical bulliten about the 4G signal problem, and that Google or  Samsung is working on an OTA fix, which will be available... at some  point. No time frame. I'm happy that they acknowledge the problem  anyway.

Sprint has issued a technical bulletin about the issue.  The companies HAVE acknowledged the issue, and are working on a fix. Can you stop trolling every forum on the web now? If your Nexus really causes you as much harm as you indicate, you should just return it and get a different phone.

Journeyman

Sprint hasn't acknowledged anything.  I haven't seen an official Press Release anywhere.  I don't own the phone yet because I'm not upgrade eligible unitl June 1.  After reading all of these posts and speaking with the CS Rep at the Sprint Store, I'm probably going to hold off.  I walked into Sprint yesterday and asked if they had received any reports of signal issues or returned phones and they said nope.  So If it's been acknowledged, why don't the stores know anything about it?

I'm also wondering if these issues are location issues.  I have an issue with my GPS, it tells me I'm 88 miles away, but only in a certain part of town.  So could signal issues be different in diff parts of the country even if coverage is the same?

Journeyman

Acknolwedging it is one thing, but having a solution plan is another. I had an iphone 3G and when the iphone 4G came out Apple's software update completely crippled my phone, until then it was a good phone. After that it would hang on typing a damn text msg. Living a year locked in with a device that failed me constantly was terrible and why I came over to Sprint. Waiting for an update sounds like a bad idea. I'm going back to AT&T and waiting for the dust to settle, hopefully an update does come and I will gladly come back to Sprint.

But if anyone else has the opportunity to do that within your 30 days, do it. It will encourage the companies to get an update out there, otherwise if you just hang on and stay locked into a contract they will sit on their heels.

I'm going to use my wife's old feature phone, which is going to suck, but I know I'll at least be able to get a signal...

Journeyman

well guys im not sure what else i can do to help us. my video didn't real stir the pot like i thought it would. and to date we have no offcial word on anything. everybody is getting different responses. this is what leads me to believe all samsung will do is seceretly issue a 2nd revision hardware phone. maybe it's just time for me to throw in the towel and get a different phone this weekend. i don't see a fix coming for us anytime soon.

i hate giving up but unless you guys have more idea's im not sure what else we can do. this thread has pretty much just died off since yesterday. i just do not think there is a big enough fanbase for this phone to have any action take place.

Journeyman

I also have seen the exact same problems with the nexus s 4g!  i was very excited about this phone but no signal just will not work.  I hope sprint, google, and sammy do something on this issue fast !!!

Journeyman

your the one trolling, until i see it on the front page somewhere this has NOT be ackolwledged at all. the samsung response i recvied today confirms that.

Journeyman

your going to be waiting a long time my friend.

Journeyman

POOH330962 wrote:

Sprint hasn't acknowledged anything.  I haven't seen an official Press Release anywhere.  I don't own the phone yet because I'm not upgrade eligible unitl June 1.  After reading all of these posts and speaking with the CS Rep at the Sprint Store, I'm probably going to hold off.  I walked into Sprint yesterday and asked if they had received any reports of signal issues or returned phones and they said nope.  So If it's been acknowledged, why don't the stores know anything about it?

I'm also wondering if these issues are location issues.  I have an issue with my GPS, it tells me I'm 88 miles away, but only in a certain part of town.  So could signal issues be different in diff parts of the country even if coverage is the same?

And you will probably never get it.  If they can "ninja fix" the issues w/o making a public spectial out of it they will, why make it into a big deal and risk crippling sales when you can just release an OTA fix behind the scenes; most people will hardly even notice the difference.

Im sure the only stores that will know anything about this will be the lucky ones who have an employee passionate/geeky enough to activly seek out the answer, your average sprint store employee is probably just some collage kid who couldn't care less and wouldn't know a sim card from an SD card; seriously how often have we ever put much stock in what the guy behind the desk at sprint knows?

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat