cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

My information update:   Sprint is still planning on rolling out the update ..  I am not sure why someone said the update comes directly from google, I think they are confused.  If google updated it, you would lose Sprint update capability, unless Sprint has given them thier update code to put into the rom (i.e. when you update, you go to about in the System settings, check for updates, and update prl and profile.

As far as a good working ROM to flash, someone has done just that with 4G, I have 10 users in the St Louis market testing this version released for CDMA 4G and everything works well. No battery issues, the only thing broken is the ability to change the wallpaper.  I have went into areas where 4G is not available and it works great. 

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1364221

I am going to use this until Sprint rolls out the offical update.  I love the speed, and performance increase.  Warning, once you go to ics 4.3 you won't want to go back, when you go back you notice a serious performance issue.  That's why 4.3. will revolutionize Android.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@xcelguy - No, it's you that is confused. The update does come directly from Google. Sprint works with Samsung to create proprietary hardware drivers that contain everything you need to access Sprint's cell phone network. These drivers are then made available in binary only form to Google. Google then adds these drivers to their official build. The final product is then delivered directly from Google to your Nexus S 4G phone.

The driver that lets you access Sprint's network can be downloaded from http://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html#crespo4giml74k

Journeyman

Thanks techguy379.  I was a little short and sweet when I said that it comes from Google.  I did not know I would have to explain why.  I am glad you did all that typing and not me. LOL!!!

Journeyman

Thanks techguy for the update, I just downloaded the driver.. its strange its not in a .zip format.,its .tgz 

I am loving 4.03 on my phone, no issues at all, battery life is better than the previous version, speed, 4G network all great.  Everything works absolutely fine.  I am in St Louis metro. (incidently I beta test for google and had an earlier release of 4.0 and things worked fine except 4g, but now 4g works on 4.03 from the xda CDMA version.

I sit corrected, thanks for the update techguy

Journeyman

I want to try this ROM. Is there any way I can go back to the Sprint Stock ROM that came with my phone, just in case?? Where can I get the sprint stock rom?

Journeyman

@AeroZ51 - Download Clockwork recovery from http://www.clockworkmod.com. Clockwork recovery has an option to do a full backup of everything on your phone including any data stored on the 16GB of USB storage. If you want to go back to the Sprint stock ROM you just need to restore the backup. The guide below will tell you how to flash Clockwork. The second link will tell you how to build Ice Cream Sandwich from source. Once you've done this you are free to flash whatever ROM you want whether it's Ice Cream Sandwich or one of the many other ROM's for the Nexus S 4G.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Nexus_S_4G:_Full_Update_Guide

http://source.android.com

Journeyman

I also want to thank you techguy for the link to the binaries for our phone.  I just had a chance to look at the thread today been really busy.  So now i wonder why we dont have it if the binaries are out there..but looks like its time to compile those and load them to my phone.

Journeyman

Greg H: Thank you for contacting Sprint. While I access your account information, can you please provide more details about your concern?
Customer: Ice Cream Sandwich has been released, and I was under theimpressionb that the nexus line of phones would get these upgrades immediately
Customer: when are we getting the upgrade ?
Greg H: Let me check this for you.
Greg H: I have checked and found that you will be eligible for phone upgrade on 2013/04/01 in phone line ***** on the account.
Customer: HaHa. You obviously have no idea what I am talking about.
Customer: Do you know what Ice Cream Sandwich is ?
Greg H: Please hold a moment.
Journeyman

hahahaha....that's classic!

Journeyman

Hahahaha-- that is funny!!! 

Sounds like most users here know more than the reps.  Most, not all-- and I'm still learning.

What's not funny is that these are exact people that we are paying hundreds, even thousands of dollars each year so that we can enjoy 4G, 4G LTE, Ice Cream Sandwich, Dual-Core, Quad-Core, Super Amoled, etc. 

Is it any wonder that "If you don't have 4G by now, you're not gonna get it"?

Oh well, the way I see it, they have 2 years to "catch up on things" before I will ever see anything better than 3G.

Given that fact, I suppose that I'm not the only one "still learning".  Give them time.  Afterall, it's only money they're burning!!! 

Journeyman

As a former Sprint tech support rep, I'll let you in on a secret.

Thier internal databases may not be as quick to update with solutions to recently identified problems. As a result, a lot of the savvier reps actually use this and related forums to find solutions to problems users have reported fixes and work-arounds for. The ones who don't/can't tend to fall in the above "clueless" category.

Back on topic: I want the official update already, sheesh.

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

So hopefully THIS means something good for us. I'm hoping for an OTA this Friday. Google LOVES to roll these things out over the weekend.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat