Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Highlighted
Journeyman

That build is signed with release keys, meaning OTA is coming very soon. I wish somebody would post an ETA at least? Sprint and Google obviously know the answer but are just quiet about it...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree, if someone would just give us a time frame or say "hey were working xyz" then it will be released, we would probably all shut up about this update. But they would rather leave us hanging, worse customer service ever.

Sprint Product Ambassador

All,

Sprint is working with Samsung and Google to release Ice Cream Sandwich on the Nexus S. The rollout will be a slow rollout with 5% on the first day and a 3 day soak period. A confirmed date is not available at this time and I will post the date once I am 100% the date is not pushed back.

Thanks,

Blue

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted
Journeyman

My Nexus S is stuck in the startup screen. I had it on the charger and it restarted by itself. I'm thinking its some kind of update. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i called sprint a week ago and the tech said the updates have been rolling out the week before so maybe they are in the same phase as the nexus s gsm t-mobile where they push a few ota then they cut off to see if anyone has install issues. if the updates go fine then they will release mass ota pushes but the tech tole me to keep resetting the phone or go to system updates. the texh also mentions that the ics update is here on the site but i can't find it. so it can be anytime right now so just wait a little or you can unlock and root your phone and install the leaked ota 4.0.4 if your impatient.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

So you're complaining just because a couple of tablets got ICS first? The Galaxy Nexus phone wasn't the first phone to have ICS. The first smartphone available to the public with ICS was the Huawei Honor. The Nexus S 4G is still on track to be the second Google Experience phone to get ICS. The leaked Sprint Android 4.0.4 build has a significant amount of major bugs that has caused many Nexus S 4G phones to be bricked. This is true even when the Odin instructions are followed to the letter. It didn't happen to me but it has been happening to others. So far more than 60% of phones that were flashed with this unstable IMM26 build have been bricked and had to be sent in for out of warranty repair.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting considering everyone i have talked to or seen use either the AOSP one that is out there or a cleaned up IMM have run just fine.  And if Sprint was able to get your phone working again then it wasn't bricked.  Bricked in the tech world means it doesn't work at all as in hardware failure because these dev phones can easily come back form anything as long as you know what your doing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We've been very patient and now we need an update on the status of ICS for the Nexus S.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When it comes to Android the customer knows way more than the average employee at any carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree. I was hoping it would have come by now.  I would like to load the chrome browser app, but without ICS cannot.  The nexus line should be the first to get upgrades.  Have heard rumors of "soon" for too long now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tehouse,

I have read on a couple of message boards about a leak from a europe tech site that says it will come sometime in March. I do know the 4.04 version that was leaked on a picture with sprint nexus s 4g had a few bugs like WIMAX and WIFI connectivity which are pretty huge. Im just as fustrated as most people with why th hold up.

E

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat