Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

Journeyman

I got tired of waiting and did a manual install to one of my Nexus S 4G's I guess I will wait for the OTA for the other to compare. From what I can say based on my own personal experience with ICS 4.0.4 on the Nexus S 4G is the user interface is very different, just answering the phone is different and when in a call to bring up features like swapping between callers or looking up contacts. This will be a little of a user learning experience.

Journeyman

That release date is totally wrong. The update rolling out on the 16th is a beta version for Sprint employees only. Sprint has set an official release date of eventually at some point in the future for the general public. This is subject to change at a moments notice depending on how the beta test goes.

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Where is your proof?

Here are some of your other wild statements:

"The leaked Sprint Android 4.0.4 build has a significant amount of major bugs that has caused many Nexus S 4G phones to be bricked. This is true even when the Odin instructions are followed to the letter. It didn't happen to me but it has been happening to others. So far more than 60% of phones that were flashed with this unstable IMM26 build have been bricked and had to be sent in for out of warranty repair."

60 percent of phones? Really? Where is the proof of this, as I am on XDA (where 4.0.4 was leaked) all the time, and have not seen one reported case of bricking with either the odin method or just flashing with cwm.

"Samsung couldn't get Android to work on the Captivate at all which uses the same CPU as the Nexus S 4G. They ran in to a serious bug that would cause the phone to power off after putting it to sleep. The problem would get progressively worse over time eventually getting so bad that the power off would occur within 2-3 minutes of the phone going to sleep. To this very day Samsung has never figured out exactly what the problem was and has absolutely no idea how to fix it."

Where is your proof of this? How would you even know this?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Techguy can you share the link or screenshot to back that?  I mean if your going to call out someone saying the information is wrong please show your source to refute the information and screenshot given.  I'm not trying to be mean or anything I would just like to see the memo or press release stating that. 

Journeyman

When are carriers like going to learn that OTA updates are important to customers? If they spent a fraction of the time they spend on "value add" ROMs and programs that we don't want or need on OTA updates, I think we would be pretty happy customers. Release the official update already.

Journeyman

I'd say his claims are more ludicrous than anything. Not so much wild.

Journeyman

How would I know about the random power off issue on the Captivate? I'm a former AT&T customer that had a Samsung Captivate. The replacement that AT&T's device warranty center gave me also had the exact same problem. This was a very widespread issue. over 90% of Captivate phones had this problem. As for the issue with the leaked IMM26 build bricking NS4G phones, that's why the thread was locked. Also, the leaked IMM26 build from the OP was not a flashable CWM zip. The three files inside the original zip file absolutely had to be flashed with Odin or Fastboot.

Journeyman

The thread wasn't locked, the OP stated he would only leave it up for three days.  After 3 days the op requested it be locked and deleted, which XDA did.  There were alot of rumors about Google cracking down on him and whatnot but being he said from the get go it was only for three days, they're fairly baseless rumors.  Also on the second day there were flashable zips available via whatever custom recovery floats your boat, CWM or Teamwin.  Odin wasn't bricking phones though, it was people who couldn't figure out how to use Odin that were bricking their phones.  And as for the proximity sensor issue mentioned by someone earlier in the thread, if they didn't do a full wipe before running Odin or using one of the flashable zips, it caused issues, happened to me too.  As soon as I put back in a custom recovery, did a full proper wipe and then used Odin, the issues went away.  Nothing was wrong with the leak except the radios weren't quite up to date which the rumormill is saying this OTA should be correcting.  Of course I can't really prove anything I'm saying as the thread was deleted and the rumormill isn't really worth tracking down sources for based on the only thing it mentions differently is the radio update from the previous leak.  But, thought I'd throw my .02 cents in and try to correct a few misconceptions.

Journeyman

Maybe I'm jaded, but I have so little faith in Google/Sprint at this point. I don't see us getting Ice Cream Sandwich before March. We'll be lucky if we get it before Sprint launches their Galaxy Nexus.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.