cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

actually after reading my previous post to djallynrules I can see why i seemed a bit harsh, my apologies i will edit the post myself

Journeyman

gm245 wrote:

JUSTIFIED, in regard to your question about whether the update is pushed by google or sprint, double click to open your browser, type in "google.com" in the address URL bar at the very top, and once you are at this mystical google website, type in "google halts update to nexus s 4g" in the search bar (the white bar above where it says "google search". After pressing enter on your keyboard, Click the very first link that appears, the title of which is "Google halts Nexus S ICS update" which is an article posted by ZDNET. NOW, I know the title of this article (as well as hundreds of others) is a bit AMBIGUOUS regarding exactly WHO is halting the ICS update to nexus s phones, so I highly recommend you read the text which is placed immediately below the title. I hope I am being polite and helpful enough for you to nagivate this complicated inter-web experience, which sometimes just seems like a series of tubes to me.

None of this information is official or helpfull, but thanks for posting it in such a rude way. I was asking for official word or proof from either Sprint or Google on how the specific updates to the NS4G are released. The GSM Nexus S and the NS4G are two different devices. The article you are referring to is talking about the update for the GSM Nexus S line of phones.

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/samsung/nexus_s_/blog... 

KEY SELLING POINTS:

"With this device, users will also be the first to receive software upgrades and new Google mobile apps as soon as they become available." 

"Google Over-the-Air updates"

notice how it does not say SPRINT over-the-air updates. For some reason, I think this means google will be pushing the OTA updates but I'm still not 100% sure

"Q: What is the upgrade path for Nexus S 4G? A: Nexus S 4G is comes loaded with stock Android 2.3. Because it is built on stock Android, Sprint Nexus S 4G customers will be among the first to receive Android software upgrades and new Google mobile apps. In many cases, the device will get the updates and new apps as soon as they are available."

This means exactly what it says. conclusion: sprint did not lie to you JUSTIFIED, me, or djallynrules.

this information is from the product ambassador team at SPRINT.

and with that i rest my case. JUSTIFIED, this forum is for mature people, please take your super-sensitivity out of here so we can continue to discuss ideas and engage each other. We are all free to agree and disagree with each other like grown ups without you having to tattle to the moderators in other posts...(e.g. telling the moderators to look at my post). if you  have any helpful information or substantial concerns please state them but stop being so inflammatory with your passive-aggressive attitude.

Journeyman

justified123

Could you further elaborate on this? Is there some way I could trade in my 6 month old NS4G for say a Motorolla Photon? I hear that phone has great reception and call quality, something the NS4G is seriously lacking.

All I did was call them.  You have to get past the first line of operators and supervisor first.  Explain to them exactly why you are dissatisfied.  Do not get nasty or upset.  Just tell them that you feel you were deceived by the sales staff and how it was done, and if they don't want to rectify the problem for you by allowing you to trade phones, then you would like to speak to someone in their retention department.

That's all I did. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint mods deleted my previous post... Look, bickering about the what's and why's of not getting Ice Cream Sandwich won't make Sprint/Google release it any sooner.

Journeyman

Yeah that was weird... I didn't see anything wrong with what you said...

I agree, do what you will but dont expect to get ICS until it is ready...

When will it be ready? When you get the update notification on your phone...

Wizard

justified123 wrote:

@SPRINT, @gm245 & @djallynrules

"From what I understand, Sprint will push the update, not Google."

I would love to see some clarification on this by a Sprint employee. I have never seen any documentation that states exactly how the Sprint Nexus S 4G recieves it's updates. Do they come from Google or are they pushed from Sprint? Everything I have ever read states that the Nexus line is updated by Google. But as we all know the CDMA Nexus devices are different. So different that Google does not even list them on their developer page anymore. Any kind of proof stating specifically how the Sprint NS4G is updated as apposed to the GSM Nexus S is welcome.

The Nexus S 4G receives it's update directly from Google. We provide the drivers for the CDMA chipset, but the software is done by Google.

Journeyman

Ok that's good finally somebody making clear the updates are coming directly from Google. I guess this means all the complaints should be taken to Google. In fact there's already a Thread there:

https://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=2efb00cdf99e2f4d&hl=en

Journeyman

Thank you for that information, I will go and read the screaming on the google wall

If I am going to listen to complaining I atleast want to listen to the right complaining lol

Journeyman

Thanks Shane, for providing that information. Now the *****-fest can move over to the Google forum

Journeyman

I also just noticed something from a link on someones post... sprints website says "Nexus s 4G from google" but if you look at the top of the page on the following link from google it list it as "Nexus S with google" which is exactly what some other non-nexus phone say also... so maybe we were way misinformed in the first place.... maybe google/samsung didnt design it with the "nexus" idea in the first place... and if u notice it says nothing about 4G it says GSM unit but at the same time it list sprint as a carrier??? Why would it be posted like that? Kinda had me a little confused as to why Sprint/Google's marketing on this phone is sooo different??????? can anyone explain this to me?  Im not complaining so to say(although im with everyone else wanting ICS but also dont want to change the "pure google experience" by modding the phone myself") Im just kinda confused as to why there would be such a difference?

http://www.google.com/phone/detail/nexus-s

Journeyman

I have been running 4.01 for a few months now and it works great as far as battery life goes, its a whole new game. However the phone does tend to suffer slowdowns as if it were running low on ram, it gets all laggy like its not doing much and all of a sudden it catches up. does this on and off sometimes it just needs a reboot. Anyways it would be nice to know when an official release is coming out Im so ready to turn this crap in its not even funny.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat