cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

I would say here it is not so much the update to ICS as the fact the phone was misrepresented. If I went to an auto dealer to buy a car and got a boat I would be upset even though it was a nice boat. The NS4G is a nice phone gingerbread is fine but the agreement when we signed our life away for 2 years was the phone was supposed to be first for updates and it is not, but we are still locked in for the remainder of our contracts. Weather you call it whining or what the complaints are that we had to live up to our agreement we expected the carrier of google whoever to live up to theirs. So I don't think complaining is wrong here if I went to the store and got water after I paid for milk damn straight I would complain plenty as would all the people here saying just suck it up. Or maybe some of these people would just take the water home be happy and hope sooner or later they got milk.

Journeyman

Djallynrules: If you are so adamant about making a statement to Sprint and Google regarding the update, you can choose to pay the ETF. Although, I'm not sure how strong your message will resonate if you turned around and signed up with them again.

" I can pick another carrier with a different phone, or go back and re-sign with Sprint for another phone."

If you're going to pay the ETF to just turn around and re-sign with Sprint you should consider just selling your current phone and buying another one. It may be cheaper for you in the long run.

Journeyman

Aside from all the treats and name calling, one of the only "intelligent" comments I have read is Nexus S 4G users did purchase this phone to get the OTA updates FIRST! As far as "waiting" for Google to get the bugs worked out of a operating system that was supposed to be released over 3 months ago... doesn't Google employ some of the TOP programmers in the industry, and if so why the long wait?

I'll all for getting it right the first time so we (the Nexus S 4G owners) don't suffer with an inferior product, but come on how long does it take these so-called genius programers to complete the task?

At least WHEN it gets here it'll be perfect, or pretty darn close…

Journeyman

I just really don't understand two things.

1) Why is everyone yelling at Sprint. This rollout has NOTHING to do with Sprint. It is completely controlled by the Google engineers. and here is the article to prove that.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26381-google-nexus-s-receiving-android-40-ics-in-next-few-weeks

Yes, I suppose you could make the argument that Sprint "promised or hinted" at a much speedier rollout. But that is like me selling land on the moon. They had no right to do that since they aren't in control of it.

BUT More importantly

2) If the Google engineers THEMSELVES don't feel comfortable with 4.0.4 and are pushing for 4.0.5 would you rather wait and have a release that is (hopefully) bug free.  It''s not like Cleetus on the corner won't release it...it's the actual guys that wrote the code.

Personally I ain't doing nothing until I get that happy update notfication.

Oh, and here's to the upcoming Jellybean!

Journeyman

It might be coming very soon guys.... Nexus S GSM varient getting ICS 4.0.4 at this moment...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1569116

Journeyman

From Computer World:

The devices included in this initial 4.0.4 rollout notably do not include the CDMA version of the Nexus S, known as the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. That device, despite being a Nexus product, is still on the Gingerbread version of Android and has yet to receive any Ice Cream Sandwich-level upgrade. The rollout also does not include the 3G/4G version of the Xoom, which is still on a pre-ICS platform, or the LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus -- better known to those of us in the U.S. as the Verizon Galaxy Nexus -- which is currently on the 4.0.2-level build of the Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

So what does this tell us?  [...]  I was told a couple of weeks ago that we'd see our upgrade in a "few weeks" only to find that Google is NOT upgrading us right now.  Instead, we are now being told "in the coming weeks".

Sheese.  Done with it NOW.  Been on my Blackberry for a week now because it actually makes phone calls and doesn't go dead two or three times a day.

Never again.  The phone has been up on Craigslist for three days now for $40.  Nobody wants it.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Journeyman

LO and Behold., I got proof that the ball is on the operator side now. Sprint has to give Google the GO for the 4.0.4 OTA!!!

pic.png

Wizard

pl82 wrote:

LO and Behold., I got proof that the ball is on the operator side now. Sprint has to give Google the GO for the 4.0.4 OTA!!!

pic.png

Actually, the person asking JBQ about the update referred to GT-I9020A which is the GSM version of the Nexus S, our version is SPH-D720.

Journeyman

Yes I know, but JBQ is being general on that statement. The ATT and Sprint OTA are waiting Operator Approval.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google has to wait for Sprint to send them the radio and for Samsung to send them the hardware drivers for the Nexus S 4G phone. Once Google has the radio and hardware drivers from Sprint and Samsung then the update is pushed directly from Google to the Nexus S 4G phone.