cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

I don't understand what you mean by "waiting" to send them radio and hardware drivers for the Nexus S 4G? Is that something like me "WAITING" for the ICS update, for which I have been "waiting" for months! And Sprint must have had access to the ICS update and plenty of time to get the drivers to the appropriate parties and "TEST" this software. My opinion is they are holding back in hopes you'll throw out your Nexus S 4G and purchase their latest phone with the ICS already installed and have to resign for another 2 year contract...

In the mean time they're just agitating and losing customers, good business sense to me...

Journeyman

Google has to wait for Sprint to send them the radio and for Samsung to send them the hardware drivers for the Nexus S 4G phone. Once Google has the radio and hardware drivers from Sprint and Samsung then the update is pushed directly from Google to the Nexus S 4G phone.

Lemme get this straight.  Google doesn't have the radio and hardware drivers that they've used to push the previous versions of the operating systems on a phone with their name on it?  Seriously?

Let's assume that is the case.  WHY, pray tell, is Sprint waiting then?

But we know this isn't the case, because there are brave souls here who have already rooted their phones and installed the IMM26 version of ICS on their phones.

I keep getting back to the obvious here:  Sprint needs to come clean and tell its customers what it is doing.  NOT doing so only alienates people.

Journeyman

@djallynrules - The radio used on Sprint's Android 2.3.7 build doesn't work properly on ICS. I've tested it with the AOSP version of ICS 4.0.3 before Google stopped supporting CDMA phones. If you're in a 4G WiMAX coverage area and you leave a Nexus S 4G phone on too long the phone will lose its 4G signal and indicate that it is connected to 3G. In reality it's not connected to the cell phone network at all. This is evidenced by the error message the stock ICS web browser gives stating it can't load whatever web page you are trying to load and the fact that the phone won't make phone calls. This issue was documented on the XDA forums.

Journeyman

Hey Guys and Girls,

Here is the latest 4.04 leaked download and instructions on how to download. I just did it and works great. Note: This is not the 4.04 version from Feb but the new 4.04 that was just release and this is the Nexus S 4g version

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g/164922-odin-ics-4-0-4-nexus-s-4g-ics-4-0-4-leaked...

Journeyman

@techguy379:

This has got to be the most logical information about this that I've seen yet.  It might also explain the issues that I've had with my Nexus S 4G on Android 2.3.7.  My phone does exactly what you described without ICS.  It has already been replaced three times, and the last time I took it into the Sprint repair center, they told me to wait for ICS to come out because that would fix it.  This is why I have been so upset about all of this.  I cannot use the phone right now because I can't rely on it.  It is in its box here in my desk drawer while I use my old Blackberry instead.

From what you are saying, this pretty much indicates that ICS will NOT fix my problem after all, and that the phone I have here in the drawer is just an expensive mistake.

One way or the other, I am going to wait until April 15th (a date I arbitrarily picked based on Endgadget's prediction a couple of weeks ago about it being "a few weeks".  If nothing has changed by that time, I am just going to find another alternative that does work for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, the leaked Sprint IMM26 build included a new radio that fixed the problem I mentioned. I'm sure the newer leaked Sprint IMM76 build will only make things even better yet.

Journeyman

I got tired of waiting and flashed IMM76D this morning.  It definitely looks like release quality.  Stable, fast- very smooth.

The 4G seems to be very stable in my home (it used to come and go on gingerbread).  I'm heading to work in an hour where I get good 4G coverage outside but none inside, I'll see if there's any improvement there. 

Either way, everything  is at least equal to or better than gingerbread.  If you can follow the (incredibly easy) instructions then I would say give it a shot.  There's no need to root or do anything complicated- just install odin and flash the 3 files.

Journeyman

There's no need to root or do anything complicated- just install odin and flash the 3 files.

I thought this IS rooting.

I just tried to follow the instructions and cannot seem to get into the "Download Mode"  All I get is "Unlock bootloader?" along with all of the warnings, and no choices of yes or no.  No buttons, no nothing.  In fact, the only way to get out of that screen is to take the battery out.

Journeyman

I got that screen also.  I just clicked start on ODIN and it did its thing.

Rooting is actually gaining superuser or 'root' access to android.  It's a different process (complicated or easy depending on which method you use).  You can still root after installing this if you want.

Journeyman

the best way to put your phone into DOWNLOAD MODE is to hold VOL UP+VOL DOWN with 2 fingers and press the POWER button for 1/2 second then let go. you will be brought to a screen at the top it should say UNLOCK BOOTLOADER in green letters. once you get to that screen just plug your phone into your comp and the USB drivers should start downloading

Journeyman

Does anyone know how to get the face unlock feature working? For some reason the Screen Lock setting on the Security settings menu only lists five options: None, Slide, Pattern, PIN and Password. If the face unlock option isn't available in this build then this isn't the final build of ICS for the Nexus S 4G phone.

Journeyman

@techguy379 If your saying it has to have face unlock then you will be waiting longer.  I saw an artical a few weeks back stating that they were trying to get it to allow for smiles and something else can't remember though.  I dont think they have to have face unlock for then to get ICS to this phone.  Because thats a "baby feature" and needs to mature a bit before it goes to the public.

But ICS will fix alot of issues and runs faster than GB.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat