cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

overall the new leaked ICS rom official 4.0.4 is by far the smoothest ICS rom i have ever used. i never thought id say this but this is at least as smooth as gingerbread 2.3.7 was. and i guess this is what sprint has been working on for all this time: the radio is insanely better, 4g signal is full ALL around the city i live in (signal used to be very spotty, hit or miss). wifi never drops. all in all this is much better than any of the custom roms that have been coming out in the passed several months and i can't wait to see what devs do with this....some tips are: to take screen shots, press and hold power button then tap the volume down button and a screenshot will be saved.

go to menu settings....developer options...turn on "force GPU rendering" but this may break some old apps like fruit ninja (the advantage of this is that some newer apps will be much smoother). actually nevermind i only recommend this setting if you have read up on it.

one missing feature is touch to focus camera in the camera application which was included in almost every ICS custom ROM to date...hopefully rom developers can integrate that into their new ics roms...

a note on battery: to get the most milage out of battery, after installing a new rom or kernel, keep using your phone and allow battery to drain all the way to about 2 or 3%. then restart the phone, go into bootloader...> recovery  > then go to "wipe", then wipe battery stats. after you have done this, plug the phone into a charger and allow the phone to charge all the way to 100% without disconnecting the device. This will erase all battery data and allow you to start a fresh new charge, the new battery readings will be much more accurate and battery will last much longer. you must be rooted to do this and have clockwork mod installed (CWM).

my own personal experience with battery so far is that my battery life on GB was better, but i will give this a few days until I pass judgement.

GPS lock functionality is perfect. browser is extremely fast and responsive, nothing like Gingerbread nexus s browser at all. google maps never hiccups, it did rarely in GB.

one thing that annoyed me when first using ice cream sandwich ROMS was that most third party app notifications have reduced resolution icons in the top notifcation bar. i used to love 'battery indicator' on GB but its display looks awful on ICS, a better alternative battery icon app is called BATTERY MONITOR, the app icon is a horizontal blue battery...the battery indicator for this application is much bigger and easier to read on ICS...

hats off to sprint for creating a much improved radio...THANK U

Journeyman

Here it is, eight and a half hours after installing ICS on a full battery, and I am down to about 15%.  I haven't used the phone all that much today, so I wonder if what wsu87 says about it is something I should try.

I really noticed the battery drain after I turned on the 4G.  

Of course, I didn't "root" my phone, I just went with the simple instructions.  I'm wondering if I should switch back to GB when the OTA version comes out just to get back on track again.  (not even sure how to do that -- any ideas, anyone?)

Overall, it is a massive improvement over it's previous performance.  It had gotten so bad that I put it in a drawer and went back to using my Blackberry.

The only issue I seem to have is the battery.  It kinda sucks if I burn through a full charge in idle in less than eight hours every day.

Journeyman

I don't think my phone lasted 8 hours with wimax enabled on Gingerbread.

Journeyman

a note on battery: to get the most milage out of battery, after installing a new rom or kernel, keep using your phone and allow battery to drain all the way to about 2 or 3%. then restart the phone, go into bootloader...> recovery  > then go to "wipe", then wipe battery stats. after you have done this, plug the phone into a charger and allow the phone to charge all the way to 100% without disconnecting the device. This will erase all battery data and allow you to start a fresh new charge, the new battery readings will be much more accurate and battery will last much longer. you must be rooted to do this and have clockwork mod installed (CWM).

According to Android engineer Dianne Hackborn (author of the battery stats code itself), the reset thing is complete hookus.

Journeyman

that lady would know way more than i do about anything related to android. but i think the more important part of the steps i described (as was told to me in xda forums) is the role of a fast discharge/charge cycle to acclimate the battery to the new rom and kernel. that being said, i do flash roms every few weeks and have noticed that i might have left the phone at 30% when beginning to flash, and when i check again after flashing, the battery is wildly off (either 5% or 55%) when i don't erase battery stats...i then go back and erase stats and check that the battey is back around 20-40%. maybe it is superstitious but i'll probably continue to do so. for those who are not rooted, i think a few discharge/charge cycles should start to give you a better idea of how battery will perform on ICS.

i think turning 4g off and switching wifi on in the workplace definitely saves a lot of battery. if you play draw something, make sure you EXIT out of the program when you are done, otherwise it will remain on in the background and drain your battery. live wallpapers also suck a lot of battery...i would also recommend enabling data roaming and set it to 'automatic', this way, if you are in a low-signal area, your phone can connect to a better signal and battery drain will be minimized. in my personal experience: i can get by a 9-5 day with 30% charge left at the end of the day to listen to music all the way home, after HEAVY use (2.5+ hours screen time, downloading, emailing, texting, playing temple run and draw something), but it might be because of the kernel i am using (matr1x kernel version 18.5 from mathkid at xda forums).

Journeyman

Djallynrules, 4g is really best used only when needed because the extra radio drains the battery.  Every time an app pulls a little bit of data (email, instant message etc) it will wake the 4g radio. If you turn 4g off (very easy with the new desktop widget) then those little updates will use the 3g radio that's already on. Save the 4g for things like video or big app downloads.

Journeyman

Djallynrules, 4g is really best used only when needed because the extra radio drains the battery

Thanks.  Makes sense, I will give that a shot.

Besides, when I am at work, I can easily switch to wifi since it is faster anyways.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@djallynrules - Regarding your comment about reverting to Gingerbread, if you didn't backup your existing Gingerbread ROM before you flashed this leaked ICS build then there's no easy way to get stock GB back. If you don't want to root your phone then the easiest way to backup your GB ROM is to flash the Clockworkmod recovery and use its backup option. This does not require rooting your phone. If you have already flashed the ICS ROM without backing up your previous ROM then you are out of luck and won't be able to revert to Sprint's stock GB ROM for future Android OS updates. You've also permanently voided your warranty. Since this update didn't come directly from Google's usual download web page there's a very good chance that this isn't an official update.

Journeyman

Here are the official binaries everyone has been waiting for. http://code.google.com/android/nexus/drivers.html#crespo4giml74k. Now when these will actually be pushed over the air by Sprint, I have no idea.

If you have the skills and fortitude to do the update yourself, looks like you can. If someone is sucessfull with updating using the 4.0.4 driver, please post back to this forum with some hints on how to do it.

Journeyman

i think you're making it sound much scarier and more "permanent" than it really is. As long as you can boot the phone ON, you will be FINE with a nexus s. Yes, If he does not root then he will have a problem, no doubt about that. But if he roots the phone using qbking77'd youtube video, he can then follow the same guy's instructions to remove root and return the phone back to stock 2.3.3 which then is upgraded to 2.3.5 then to 2.3.7 OTA...this phone is now reset to factory default and can receive any OTA updates from google (no warranty is thus voided). The simplicity of rooting/unrooting is why the nexus s is so powerful.

i have never backed anything up using clockword mod because it was so confusing when i first began rooting and i have successfully returned my phone to unrooted stock 2.3.7 several times. It was comments like this that scared me away from rooting the phone for many months and although you are absolutely correct about him having a problem if he completely avoids rooting altogether, i am merely trying to add clarification and mean no disrespect at all. if anyone has any concerns feel free to PM me.

if someone does want to go back to GB (don't know why you would as the new baseband radios give a much better signal to your phone) the instructions are as follows:

go on youtube and find out how to root your device which is running the leaked ICS ROM (qbking77)

then do step by step to unroot the device (qbking77)

allow the phone to pick up OTA updates...

and you are back to where you started before all of this.

Journeyman

@wsu87 - You really think that rooting the Nexus S 4G is easier than using Clockwork? You do NOT have to root a Nexus S phone to use Clockwork! It only takes a single command from a Windows command prompt to flash Clockwork in the first place. To do a backup you simply select "Backup and Restore" from the main menu then select "Backup". Done. This saves all of your apps, pictures, SMS and everything else stored on the phone too. You can easily copy that backup onto your desktop PC just in case the USB storage space should get wiped clean.

@mrinterweb - You linked to the hardware drivers for the Nexus S 4G. These are only to be used by developers looking to compile Android from source. Those binaries do not include a radio either. If you compile Android from source then it will use whatever radio is already installed on your phone. If that radio happens to be a Sprint stock Gingerbread radio then you will have frequent dropouts on your connection to the cell phone network which will prevent you from making/receiving phone calls and accessing the internet. The only way to fix this is to reboot your phone. Even if it is still possible to compile Android from source you really don't want to do this unless you know what you're doing.

Journeyman

The connetion dropout on the GB radio was not caused by the radio itself. The issue was a bug in 4.0.3. I am noticing all ROM builts with 4.0.4 are not having that issue anymore even with the GB radio (KH1 a.k.a KE1).

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat