cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Going back to stock Gingerbread is extremely simple. Follow this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdo8xfr-FvY

Piece of cake. After playing with IMM26 I reverted back. My phone received the OTA for 2.3.5 and 2.3.7 and all is back to the way it was.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Safest way to go Stock 2.3.7 is to use Google's Factory images. Google finally released the 2.3.7 factory images of our phones yesterday. The link is in:

http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html#sojus

Make sure to downloaod the sojus build for device d720. You will find fastboot images in there. There's no need to go to 2.3.5 and get OTA to 2.3.7 anymore. We can go directly to 2.3.7 with this stock factory images.

Wizard

See this thread for the much awaited update: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/87771?tstart=0

Journeyman

Amen.   I started this OTA thread hoping it would be a good thing someday..  Now we must patiently await the push out  to selected groups of devices. I feel like a little kid the night before Christmas.

Journeyman

Notes from Samsung Announcement:

Important Notes
   - Updates may take between 5-20 minutes depending on the use of 3G/4G/Wifi.  WiFi is recommended. 

******   - Updates are available OTA (over the air) only and are 'pushed' to devices in stages over a 10-21 day period.*****

******   - Device selection is random ************************************

- DO NOT remove the battery during the update

Update the software on your phone
Software will be automatically downloaded to your phone
   1. A system update screen will prompt the user to 'install now' or 'install later'
       - If 'install later is selected, a reminder will be sent once or twice a day to install the update 
       - If 'install now' is selected, the phone will reboot and then begin the software update

2.  Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update 

OR
Check for software updates  (if 'install later' was chosen)
   1.  Go to the Home screen
   2.  Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > System  updates
   3.  Tap Update Firmware or Update Android
   4.  Your phone will automatically download and install updates that have been pushed to it.

******  If no updates are available,     Your system is currently up to date will display 

5.  Tap Next to return to the Home screen

Check the software version on your phone 

1.  Go to the Home screen
   2.  Tap Menu > Settings > About phone
   3.  The build number will show the current version on your phone
   4.  Press Home to return to the Home screen 

Journeyman

hhmm....what to do i have the IMM76D AOSP finally running on the emulator almost ready for my phone or go this route...damn i was tired of waiting and decided to go ahead and learn AOSP....hhmm...

Journeyman

Im not sure Smurfin..  I had ics build  4.0.3 from a month ago, but I made a backup of the stock, with Rom Manager,

I just went back to stock because I was not sure if I would get the update? I had the sprint section under system, about phone and could check for updates,  but I was iffy..  Hopefully someone will confirm this that you have to go back to stock or not. 

Journeyman

I'm nearly 100% sure that you will have to go back to stock 2.3.7 with the official recovery and everything, in order to get this update.

Journeyman

If you don't have a stock rom then you won't get stock updates.  If you flashed the leaked IMM76D from Brief Mobile then you are on the latest stock rom already and should continue to revcieve any updates released in the future. 

Journeyman

I spoke with a Sprint store rep this morning about going in and getting the ICS update pushed to my phone rather than haphazardly checking for updates. The rep said their store learned of the update of ICS 4.0.4 the same way we all did, from Engadget, and that they do not have the update in their store yet. The rep hoped they would receive it sometime in the next week, but that there has not been any communication from Corporate regarding timing, so we might have to rest our fingers and stop burning a path to Settings->About Phone->System Updates for a while longer. But at this point, what's another 5 days or so?

Has anyone actually received the update via OTA?

Wizard

chi-guy5,

The store representative informed you correctly, after a software update is released OTA it can take a while before it gets updated in our system we use in the store for OTW updates, it takes them time to test the delivery system to ensure there won't be any issues. As for anyone actually receiving the update via OTA, I have seen a few that have received it already, you can try to do *#*#CHECKIN#*#* but there's no guarantee it will force the update.

Click here to see the latest news on our Network Vision updates!

Journeyman

chi-guy5 wrote:

Has anyone actually received the update via OTA?

Nope.

Its kind of ironic that people complained about the lack of ICS for months.  Now an official release has been announced, yet there isn't a single report of an actual OTA update.

I'll give it another day or two until people start complaining again.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat