Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

iVoidWarranties wrote:

I guess somebody at Sprint didn't get the memo about that ICS update getting cancelled.  When you click the little android on the description page it still advertises Android 4.0.

ics.png

This should now be corrected, it was changed based off the previous release date that was relayed to our team which was a mistake because the update was pushed back which is very common with any software related updates or maintenance releases. I apologize for the confusion and understand how frustrated some of you are regarding this update, I do know that RLCOLLECTOR68 is working closely with our software group and has stated he will be posting an update probably the week of release once we have a final date.

Highlighted
Journeyman

iOS 5.1 just got released for the Iphone today, available for download. http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/ios-5-1-available-to-download-today-07-03-2012/ 

Highlighted
Journeyman

techguy379 wrote:

They didn't cancel the Feb 16 update. It happened exactly as planned. The update was an internal beta release of ICS, not a release for the general public.

Oh I see.  The Nexus' page update in February must've just been a coincidence...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Shane_M wrote:

iVoidWarranties wrote:

I guess somebody at Sprint didn't get the memo about that ICS update getting cancelled.  When you click the little android on the description page it still advertises Android 4.0.

ics.png

This should now be corrected, it was changed based off the previous release date that was relayed to our team which was a mistake because the update was pushed back which is very common with any software related updates or maintenance releases. I apologize for the confusion and understand how frustrated some of you are regarding this update, I do know that RLCOLLECTOR68 is working closely with our software group and has stated he will be posting an update probably the week of release once we have a final date.

Thanks for the info.  Unlike many others I'm not upset about the delay.  My nexus is synonymous with stability (the reception issue aside) so I understand the need to get it right.  I just can't wait to see what ICS has to offer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I first received my two Nexus S phones in December, I had issues with the radio.  Terrible signal... finally went into a Sprint store and they ran some tests. Tests failed on both phones. This phones were brand new - out of the box.  The store replaced both handsets and they work perfectly. No issues at all.  As for the ICS Update... when it gets here its here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

gm245:

The original version of that article yesterday said April.  Later in the day the backtracked to the second quarter.  That said, HTC is announcing the release of three of their phones in April that will be running ICS.

Again, for the last time, I don't care so much WHEN this is going to happen.  Try to get this into your tiny head.  What I AM concerned about is the lack of communication from an actual official source, be it Sprint, Google, or Samsung as to what is going on.

It it the RUMORS that are driving up the frustration here, and it is also the pseudo-official people who stir the s**t up.

Finally, it is people like you who are so sanctomonious that you can't understand why there are a LOT of us complaining. 

It is the lack of communication, that's what it all boils down to.  The grapevine is NOT a reliable business plan if you want to retain customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

from technobuffalo:

"unfortunately...the carrier didn't reveal any timeframe, so some users can conceivably be looking at December 31st, 2012 for the update...Verizon said additional details will be shared throughout the year via Twitter"

Ok now I understand...so you are frustrated that no one is "Communicating" with you. And now I can ALSO see that you sort of understand that Sprint has no control over the update but rather it is now in GOOGLE's hands....so IF COMMUNICATION is your problem, I can only assume that you are on the GOOGLE FORUMS complaining to THEM with as much fervor as you are here. Am I correct? If so, could you please direct me to a link so that I can view your frustrations being vented on the right group of people?

fyi, this grapevine is word for word the exact same as the one for nexus one, and it will be the same for the galaxy nexus when android 5.0 rolls out....that's just how software development goes, deadlines are simply missed and there are delays QUITE OFTEN. Look at the temple run page on facebook, they stated an original release date of February, then pushed it to march 7th, on march 7th they pushed it to end of march. everything depends on how beta tests are performing. software often needs tweaking and further testing to get an acceptable product out and the MAJORITY of consumers understand this and, although frustrating, is not something that keeps most of us up at night. lastly, how can you be so frustrated with rumors? afterall, they are just rumors. not an official statement. how can you be upset when a non-official statement does not pan out for you?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google will release ICS when it is ready. Reading the comments throughout this thread is comicly funny. The same people who complain that it isnt released yet would be even more upset if your phone got broke with an update. Be thankful you have a working phone, a software build that WORKS CORRECTLY for the most part.

Jake

Highlighted
Wizard

jacob.fitzpatrick wrote:

Google will release ICS when it is ready. Reading the comments throughout this thread is comicly funny. The same people who complain that it isnt released yet would be even more upset if your phone got broke with an update. Be thankful you have a working phone, a software build that WORKS CORRECTLY for the most part.

Jake

You are oh, so correct. I remember going from Froyo to Gingerbread. We/I was frothing at the mouth for the new wonderful Gingerbread. I finally was able to download it OTA!!!!!! So excited because I would now have the LATEST, THE GREATEST! I installed Gingerbread and many of my programs that worked great before the upgrade no longer worked. My iheartradio app would not run. My Sirius app only worked when connected to WI-FI. It was so bad they took some of the programs I had already installed out of the Android Market, like they never existed! It took about a month to get everything back to normal. So, when asked the question do I want to have my phone acting weird with some of the apps not working or acting buggy or do I want them to iron out any kinks, then release it? My answer is, "my phone works great right now. I want it to work better after the ICS push. If I have to wait for a flawless transition then so be it." The alternative just made me mad, I remember! BTW... screaming at HTC and Sprint did no good and was a tremendous waste of time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

You beat me to it Gbuff just saw it on twitter. So its official WE CAN NOW START TO COMPLAIN about not being the first to ICS and please spare me with the the european bable. I mean that phone has sense installed and they were able to get the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

HAHA thats funny stuff right there gbuffs!  I think its been made clear that the only way this phone will get the official update is once sprint actually has the Galaxy Nexus released.  Look at the Epic it didn't get gingerbread until the new model was released that ran it, because instead of giving people reqular software updates they rather force customers to a new phone so they can lock you into a two year contract, which i am not sure i will upgrade again unless AOSP supports the device.  Which means Sprint will either have to swtich off CDMA all together or i will have to change providers...Thank you Qualcomm for being d***'s about CDMA distro rights.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat