cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

**System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Journeyman

Re: **System OTA Update Thread** Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwhich Nexus S 4G

Elliot Flamebait,

If you stay in technology for another 10 or 15 years you'll realize how little you know and how much less you know now than then. I have long noticed that those in IT who say they know don't know and those who say they're not sure are right 90% of the time.

I really don't understand your need to attack those who are having a bad experience with the stock Sprint 2.3.7 (GWK74) release. It seems like it's some misplaced ego issue on your part.

Ironically, I haven't seen any users of CyanogenMod9 complain about the issues you listed. Unfortuantely, I am experiencing these issues everyday with the stock 2.3.7 build. I had similar issues with my tablet, which were resolved with a custom ROM for it. It's becoming clear to me that just like with a tablet, if you want a good 'smartphone' experience a custom ROM is the only way to go.

The change in google's chrome browser release cycle is a good example of the need to move to a faster, smaller release cycle for Android. This monolithic release cycle coupled with the fractured nature of most phone's update cycles being controlled by the careless carriers and manufacturers who would rather sell the new model handset provide an existential threat to the android ecosystem. I am not a fan of iOS or Apple's business practices, but Apple has a great software development and release cycle coupled with a ubiquity of experience resulting from uniform update distribution unless the hrdware really doesn't support the release.

Sprint hopes to not irritate 90% of the user base with a release. They obviously don't care about keeping their users current. I really don't belive they care how well it works at all as long as users don't complain. At the end of the day costs and profit are driven by calls and trouble tickets. The incentive is to churn users into new handsets to get new software features.

I am not even going to get into my eventual near-term need to replace my Nexus S 4G, since Sprint is dropping Wi-Max for LTE. It hasn't even covered my metro yet and I'll need to upgrade to an LTE hadset or switch carriers. Plus I'm going to suffer a second huge delay in building out towers.

Everyone's point on this forum is they have unmet needs, which you dismiss, since you don't have them. At the end of the day you think like a selfish fascist. Perhaps you're destined to be a Telcomm CEO and not a Congressman.

Journeyman

Im not here to complain on the ics release. Everyone hear wants it now, thats why were here. My only quirk is that im on stock 2.3.7 and I get probably 10 sometimes more force closes a day. I want it pushed in hopes it will run more stable. I would change roms but im computer challenged.

Journeyman

techguy379 wrote:

@djallynrules - Sprint just recently announced that Google is releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for the Nexus S 4G phone. Your phone will be getting it soon.

By "recently, I am assuming your are talking about last December?  Or are we talking about that teaser we all jumped on for February 16th?

We aren't getting anywhere here.  Nobody knows anything yet some will sit here and defend something they have no clue on.  Some will speculate on a hunch, others just jump up and tell us to "quit whining" and wait.

The common denominator here is the fact that we are ALL in the dark, and some of us are finding out that what we were told at the beginning isn't coming true now.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the Nexus S 4G will NOT get the ICS upgrade after all.  There is NOTHING official supporting the fact that the Nexus S 4G is getting the OTA ICS upgrade.  In fact, in virtually every press release, since December, the Nexus S 4G has NOT been mentioned as being upgraded.  Samsung will no longer confirm nor deny the Nexus S 4G upgrade.  Sprint has said nothing.  There are even some rumors floating out since yesterday that Google will suspend the Nexus S Android 4.0.5 update due to the battery issues that many people are reporting.

I just want to know one way or the other.  I just want to be told -- OFFICIALLY -- what the status is concerning the Nexus S 4G ICS upgrade.

I want to know because I am NOT happy with the Nexus S 4G in its current form.  It has had radio and battery problems from the get-go.  It will sometime just start heating up for no reason whatsoever.  I no longer use the GPS on the phone because to shut it off you actually have to pull the friggin' battery.  If I don't shut it off, the battery will suck down in about two hours.  I am told that this happens if the phone is not able to get a clear signal -- which for this phone's one-bar reception is the norm.

If the Nexus S 4G is NOT going to get an upgrade, then I want to go get another phone. 

Journeyman

pretty sure it's a question of 'when' and not 'if', otherwise how would you explain the fully polished leaked OTA ICS built specifically for ns4g? If the ns4g was not going to receive the ICS update why would they bother to create the OTA in the first place? Secondly, do you really think google would want to send the message that their flagship devices are dropped after 1 year of support? It would cause a fiasco for future nexus sales. I realize this is not 'OFFICIAL' either, but I am having trouble undestanding how you reached your conclusion that the ns4g will absolutely NOT get the ICS upgrade at all. what press releases are you referring to that intentionally left ns4g out of their lists? Samsung/Motorola/HTC have nothing to do with ns4g ICS so their press releases don't really say much of anything about ns4g. obviously samsung can neither confirm nor deny anything regarding a phone that is to be updated by google itself.

Wizard

wanderer2012 wrote:

> Other than that is your phone working properly?

No, locks up almost daily with 2.3.7. These lock ups often happen at night so I wake up to an overheating phone with many missed messages and calls. Gets stuck on the animation at boot time. Doesn't update PRL properly.

Battery life sucks. Signal is abysmal. Multitasking sucks.

You can't easily shutdown an application in Gingerbread..

These are all things that ICS addresses to some degree or other. I'm sure you can use google to educate yourself on the additional differences.

If you don't want it now, then don't upgrade. Just like that shill Buffet - if he wants to pay more taxes, he's free to pay a 100% tax rate. Choice is what matters. Stop encouraging the taking of choice away from others. Everybody's situation is different in such a complex ecosystem.

> Are all the apps working as they should without locking up?

Not even close.

If I was having all of the problems you just listed I would be at a Sprint store getting it either fixed or replaced.

Is everyone complaining about all those issues or just you? If it's most of the owners I understand being upset. If it's sporadic then again take it to Sprint. If it just is happening on your phone you could always "lose it at Walmart", pay the $100, and get another one. I understand your frustration because you paid good money for what you thought was a quality product and now you are getting the run a round. I sincerely hope you get your ICS update soon and all your problems are remedied! 

Journeyman

I'm trying hard to stay out of this, as I've already been through every possible scenario with this phone. But if you've done any research on the NS4G , half of them AT LEAST have problems with reception, it's fixable, but unless you root your phone and void your warranty,you have to deal with it, ICS(alledgedly) will fix the frequency callibration(reviews are good). Some people still make calls on these things..

We didn't buy any potential, possibilities or broken promises.

We agreed to pay Sprint for two years and I personally think SPRINT should have something to say to all of these angry CUSTOMERS !!!!!

Journeyman

fahadh wrote:

pretty sure it's a question of 'when' and not 'if', otherwise how would you explain the fully polished leaked OTA ICS built specifically for ns4g? If the ns4g was not going to receive the ICS update why would they bother to create the OTA in the first place?

But they HAVEN'T created the OTA yet.  Have you received it pushed to your phone?  All you wound up with was a leaked ROM put out for testing.

fahadh wrote:

Secondly, do you really think google would want to send the message that their flagship devices are dropped after 1 year of support? It would cause a fiasco for future nexus sales.

Yes, I really DO think that Google would drop the Nexus S after one year of support -- if they felt that they could go no further on it.  They've already moved to their replacement flagship and it  isn't the Nexus S 4G, it is the Galaxy Nexus S and SII.

As far as creating a "fiasco" for future Nexus sales, that is easy to overcome -- call it something different -- it's what they have been doing.  Besides, customers are sheeple -- we all are.  We know that the phone we buy today will be obsolete a year from now.  By the time our contract is up we are more than ready to jump to the next newest thing.

But honestly we shouldn't settle for a phone that was obsolete from the day we bought it -- and that is how I feel my Nexus S has been.  I have had zero support for it since I bought it on December 18, 2011.  I bought it because it was supposed to bypass the Sprint bloat and get the freshest Google OS available as soon as it was released.  That was THE selling point of this phone.  THAT was the ONLY reason I bought it, following the assurances from the Sprint sales people.

People here tell me that I shouldn't blame Sprint.  Okay, then I blame Google.  Others tell me that I shouldn't blame Google because it is Samsung's fault.  Okay, I blame Samsung.  Yet others tell me that it is Sprint's and Google's fault....

It is ALL of their faults.

The reason I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the Nexus S 4G is no longer a phone on the upgrade list is because there is no mention of the phone on the SAMSUNG upgrade schedule.  Any news release that talks about Samsung phones in line for upgrades make zero mention of the Nexus S getting the upgrade.  Samsung says the next devices to see the update will be the Galaxy Note and Galaxy SII LTE smartphones along with the Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets.

I am considering waiting a few more weeks or so, then picking up the Galaxy SII LTE, since apparently THAT phone appears to be the one in favor right now with Google.

Journeyman

So, we cant expect ICS update by March 15th ? Why sprint is doing like this ? We are here with 2 years contract, thats why they are doing like this... I blame Sprint and Google...

Journeyman

no, i wound up with the leaked OTA (hence the name "leaked OTA"), which means it is fully baked and ready to be released as an OTA; flashable to the phone as a custom ROM, that was drafted by google but not released. why would they draft an OTA that was leaked if there was no intent to release it from the beginning?

The SII is not a google device, let alone a 'flagship' device.

As far as creating a "fiasco" for future Nexus sales, that is easy to overcome -- call it something different -- it's what they have been doing.  Besides, customers are sheeple -- we all are.  We know that the phone we buy today will be obsolete a year from now.  By the time our contract is up we are more than ready to jump to the next newest thing."

The nexus brand has stayed a nexus brand from nexus one, to nexus s, to galaxy nexus. nexus one was also supported through froyo and gingerbread. why do you think google would decide to dump the nexus s now and not the nexus one in the past? Given that the Leaked OTA runs very well on nexus s, it is definitely not incapable of running the software. if this is a marketing ploy to get nexus s users to jump onto the galaxy nexus, why was this same pattern not observed before?

"But honestly we shouldn't settle for a phone that was obsolete from the day we bought it -- and that is how I feel my Nexus S has been.  I have had zero support for it since I bought it on December 18, 2011.  I bought it because it was supposed to bypass the Sprint bloat and get the freshest Google OS available as soon as it was released.  That was THE selling point of this phone.  THAT was the ONLY reason I bought it, following the assurances from the Sprint sales people.

No wonder you're PO'ed. You bought the nexus (with a single core 1ghz processor + only 512 MB ram + smaller screen than Gnex/Gs2 + unexpandable memory) etc in DECEMBER of 2011 while the phone has been out for 8 months on sprint, and an entire YEAR if you count t-mobile (released in december 2010). This phone is not a 2012 phone and yet you are in the enviable position of potentially getting ice cream sandwich while others who purchased year old phones (like Epic 4g, etc.) don't even have a possibility of being upgraded to ICS.

Why did you purchase a nexus s so late when Sprint was already offering the galaxy s 2 and will soon get the galaxy nexus. If I was in your shoes I would have done a little more research and realized that nexus s is simply outdated unless it's rooted and a custom ROM is slapped on it. I mean, for someone who is so familiar with what's happening in the mobile world, i think you just made a bad call buying this phone so late in the game (no offense). When the nexus s came out on sprint in may, I had the option to either wait 4 months for gs2 or use my upgrade to buy nexus s then.

"The reason I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the Nexus S 4G is no longer a phone on the upgrade list is because there is no mention of the phone on the SAMSUNG upgrade schedule.  Any news release that talks about Samsung phones in line for upgrades make zero mention of the Nexus S getting the upgrade.  Samsung says the next devices to see the update will be the Galaxy Note and Galaxy SII LTE smartphones along with the Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 tablets." But if sprint/google are the ones releasing the ICS source code, what does samsung even have to do with any of this ICS talk? By extension, what sense does it make to look to samsung's upgrade schedule when discussing the nexus s ICS drop date?

Sprint Product Ambassador

@djallynrules - ICS has not been released yet because Google and Samsung are still  performing test. I have been provided a tentative date, although we do not want to post a date incase Google or Samsung find something with the current test version and need to push the date out again.

Once Google and Samsung provide us with a date for the release of ICS, I will update this post and/or you will see a new post with the update information from one of our moderators. The update will be a slow roll out as Google has done with other big OS updates for Samsung.

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Journeyman

@djallynrules - ICS has not been released yet because Google and Samsung are still  performing test. I have been provided a tentative date, although we do not want to post a date incase Google or Samsung find something with the current test version and need to push the date out again.

Do you realize how many people just toss this out as if it were some kind of official update?  Let alone pass themselves off as someone "in the know"?

I'm sorry, but I have earned the right to be skeptical on this now.  I would MUCH rather get this information from an actual official site or origin than from someone on a forum with a lack of credentials.  I know that sounds condencending, and I don't mean it to sound that way, but this kind of information NEEDS to come from an actual Sprint, Google, or Samsung site.

Besides, dangling that "tentatitve date" without actually sharing it doesn't give what your saying any more credence than me claiming to have the inside track on who is going to win American Idol.  I fully understand that even if you WERE privy to that information and you DID have a tentative date, you couldn't share it.  So I question why the need to say you had a tentative date in the first place.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I was asked not to provide a date because ICS release might be pushed out again. I do not want to say it will be next week and then something is found in testing where Google has to push it out another week or two. A tentative date is better than nothing and lets everyone know that Google & Samsung has provided us a date for the roll out.

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat